New Cat Tearing Up Drapes

Old October 13th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

Default New Cat Tearing Up Drapes

I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
days ago. Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
drapes. He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
drapes) onto the drapes. The drapes now have two big rips in them,
which we repaired for now with duct tape. The cat *might* have been
chasing a bug.

I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
terror.

Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. He is
strong and can jump high.

His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
bed if he'll let me. If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
has his initial visit. I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
yet and will try to get one asap. That might help as it will give him
something else to climb. I have been exercising him. He really gets
into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
chasing the thing.

FirstHit
Old October 13th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lauren" wrote in message
I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
worse.

The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
Petsmart for $15.

Old October 13th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:36:49 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit
wrote:

[...]

Ripping the drapes probably wasn't a good feeling for him, sliding
down as the material rips. He isn't going to do that as a normal
thing. Some cats do like climbing the drapes from the bottom but he
likely was just trying to get at something. They are perfect hunters
after all.

Your ideas are good. How about a second cat so they can tire each
other out?
Old October 14th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Lauren" wrote in message
I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
worse.

The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
Petsmart for $15.

PetsMart has a wonderful selection of "cat furniture" including scratch
posts. Have you seen their great selection lately? I like those carpet
covered poles with boxes on and attached to them. My son and his spouse's
cats love theirs. They set it by the window and the 3 cats hang out on it
looking out all day long. I plan to do some xmas shopping for Luckycat
there. ;-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

Old October 14th 09, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Oct 13, 3:45*am, Lauren wrote:
I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
*a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
*thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
*would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
*punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
*worse.

Don't worry about that! I would never hit the kitty. It would
accomplish nothing good.

I did get the tree/condo tonight (Tuesday). It's 5-1/2 ft tall and
pretty nice. Kitty appears to approve!

Also, I got no resistance when I clipped his claws.

FirstHit
Old October 14th 09, 11:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Oct 13, 6:14*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Lauren" wrote in message

I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
worse.

The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
Petsmart for $15.

I have a 2-ft vertical post and one of those horizontal cardboard
things, but he's now doing most of his clawing on the new tree.

FirstHit
Old October 14th 09, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

wrote:

[...]

I hope you're right. At any rate, we will hold off on replacing the
drapes right away.

FirstHit
Old October 14th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Cats love those trees! My Pickles, when she first came home, tried landing
on a lamp shade while jumping from the top of the wall unit. She broke and
tore it and probably found out it wasn't as strong as it looked. I had to
replace the shade and she never did that again.

As for the drapes, they are sort of passé, and the bare look is really nice.

Barb

Old October 14th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

[...]

I gave up drapes many years ago in favor of vertical blinds. They are
practical, look good and easy to take care of. Check them out . MLB
Old October 15th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, maybe it was sort of like an amusement park ride.
Wheeeee! Down we go!

Nah, cats like to be in control and slipping down the drapes couldn't
have felt right.