Avian flu

Old March 14th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Avian flu

I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

And as I gather chickens are prime targets. Frank Perdue and similar
must be thinking...

Brad
Old March 14th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

avalanche* wrote:
I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

And as I gather chickens are prime targets. Frank Perdue and similar
must be thinking...

Brad

Just another scare, like mad cow. I still buy and eat beef; so far, so
good. But you know what? I'd rather die after having a nice dinner of beef
or chicken than some stupid crap like a brain tumor which they couldn't
ascertain where it came from.

Jill

Old March 14th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"avalanche*" wrote in message
I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

And as I gather chickens are prime targets. Frank Perdue and similar
must be thinking...

Brad

Keeping your cat indoors will assure it has *NO* chance to get the avian
flu.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

avalanche* wrote:
I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

And as I gather chickens are prime targets. Frank Perdue and similar
must be thinking...

Brad

This is called fear-mongering!

Old March 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Magic Mood JeepŠ" wrote in message
avalanche* wrote:
I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

And as I gather chickens are prime targets. Frank Perdue and similar
must be thinking...

Brad

This is called fear-mongering!

As for fear mongering....down here in Oz, they are recommending people with
a cough and fever wear masks in public. Somehow I doubt that will take off.
So far we have no bird flu, AFAIK, but they are putting precautions in
place. But masks in public is a bit too much fear mongering for me. IMo the
authorities covering their butt just in case.

Old March 15th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

Keeping your cat indoors will assure it has *NO* chance to get the
avian flu.

You hope.

The pet cat that died caught the bird flu from a bird it ate. Keeping
your cat indoors will protect it from getting the flu that way. But if
you get the flu, will you be able to give it to your cat? I don't think
anybody knows, yet.

I wasn't worried about getting bird flu until I realized I might
endanger my cats that way.

Chak

--
I would like at least one political party in this country to be willing
to say that sex is fun and an important part of being human.
Old March 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in
:

Keeping your cat indoors will assure it has *NO* chance to get the
avian flu.

You hope.

The pet cat that died caught the bird flu from a bird it ate. Keeping
your cat indoors will protect it from getting the flu that way. But
if you get the flu, will you be able to give it to your cat? I don't
think anybody knows, yet.

DH & I are getting over a bout withthe flu, but since we didn't go to DR
about it, we don't know if it's the feared avian flu or not. Cat have been
unaffected by it - except for being more cuddly than when we're well.

Old March 15th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

avalanche* wrote:

I don't know whether to worry about myself or Bert. During the news
tonite Connie yelled (I was next room...online, of course) "Your cat's
gonna die". When, I guess not if, it gets here-USA, what's the cat
danger? Did I hear they lost a couple of cats in Europe? At 10 or so
Bert's less of a bird hunter, but I'm afraid he's still an occasional
threat.

If (or when) avian flu reaches the UK, and if it's clear that birds are
dying from it, I will be keeping all 4 of mine indoors. They will go mad
as they are indoor/outdoor cats - we live in a very quiet area - but we
also live opposite a nature reserve and at least one of mine does hunt
rodents and birds, unfortunately. I don't want to take the risk, as the
link has been proved to exist.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 15th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Debbie Wilson wrote:

If (or when) avian flu reaches the UK, and if it's clear that birds are
dying from it, I will be keeping all 4 of mine indoors. They will go mad
as they are indoor/outdoor cats - we live in a very quiet area - but we
also live opposite a nature reserve and at least one of mine does hunt
rodents and birds, unfortunately. I don't want to take the risk, as the
link has been proved to exist.

I don't want to take the risk either. If it reaches Finland with the
migrating birds, I won't be going to the island with the cats this
summer. They say it affects sea birds especially. I know that if the
cats find a dead bird, they will most certainly play with it.

But I'm also worried about the mass hysteria, now that a cat's death has
been linked with avian flu. Cat haters could have a field day. ((

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 16th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

I don't want to take the risk either. If it reaches Finland with the
migrating birds, I won't be going to the island with the cats this
summer. They say it affects sea birds especially. I know that if the
cats find a dead bird, they will most certainly play with it.

I think that's a very sensible plan. It's so sad that we have to think
of these things - so sad for the birds as well as us and the cats.
If it really gets that bad I might make an enclosure for them as they
really will go crazy not being allowed out for a long time.

But I'm also worried about the mass hysteria, now that a cat's death has
been linked with avian flu. Cat haters could have a field day. ((

I can see that coming for sure. Another reason for keeping them in - to
avoid any poison put out by idiotic cat-haters. It doesn't take much to
set them off. I bet cats will be handed in for rehoming or abandoned
left right and center. :-(((

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com