replacing rug on cat scratcher post

Old March 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default replacing rug on cat scratcher post

My cat's 'rugged' scratching post is really losing the rug due to the
scraching of it.
Does anyone out there know how to replace the rug on the scratching
post? I don't want to buy a new post as this one he loves and lays on
top of.

Old March 11th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Whiplash" wrote in news:1142087114.600799.79540
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
My cat's 'rugged' scratching post is really losing the rug due to the
scrac

you could start by pulling the worn rug off...

then yule see how it is attached, as well as have a sample of what you
need to buy

I would skip the rug posts and go with the cardboard ones. Why take a
chance with these manmade rugs that attract all kinds of mites?
Old March 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wilbur Post wrote:

I would skip the rug posts and go with the cardboard ones. Why take a
chance with these manmade rugs that attract all kinds of mites?

I heard that!

you talking bout just regular flat cardboard (corrugated?)

and how will they fasten the cardboard to the scratcher...

I think it's a good idea, maybe you have an idea about a simple way to
attatch it.

if they glue it, then upon replacement, seems like it would be messy
and tedious.

Old March 11th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I would skip the rug posts and go with the cardboard ones. Why take a
chance with these manmade rugs that attract all kinds of mites?

Good if the cat will use it but if he's been using rug for years, that may be
all he wants to use now. I have two posts made from rug (homemade); I used
rug that is very low pile; it's the plush rug that they don't care for and
may hold dust mites (although nothing wrong with that unless you have
allergies). I have another one that's made from rope instead of carpet but
only one of my cats uses it. Guess they all have different preferences.

Anna

Old March 12th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Whiplash" wrote in news:1142108501.332237.3780
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Wilbur Post wrote:

you talking bout just regular flat cardboard (corrugated?)

and how will they fasten the cardboard to the scratcher...

Check out these two at Petsmart:

http://tinyurl.com/qypc8

http://tinyurl.com/llq22
Old March 12th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Wilbur Post" wrote in message
"Whiplash" wrote in news:1142108501.332237.3780
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Check out these two at Petsmart:

http://tinyurl.com/qypc8

This is a generic brand of the Alpine Scratcher, my cats'
fav!

http://tinyurl.com/llq22

I have this one too, it has a ball. They love it too.

Old March 12th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wilbur Post writes:

I would skip the rug posts and go with the cardboard ones. Why take a
chance with these manmade rugs that attract all kinds of mites?

My cats *love* to scratch cardboard boxes. We always leave one out
for them, tape it closed but cut a couple holes in it, and let them
scratch away.
I'd love to find some replacement sisal for our cat trees. The carpet
didn't last long, not even on the expensive Fosters & Smith tree, and
I'd love to replace it with sisal.

Stacia

Old March 12th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
My cat's 'rugged' scratching post is really losing the rug due to the
scraching of it.
Does anyone out there know how to replace the rug on the scratching
post? I don't want to buy a new post as this one he loves and lays on
top of.

I wouldn't change a scratching post until it fell apart. A heavily worn
scratching post to a cat is like a comfortable pair of old jeans or shoes to
us- they spend years "breaking them in".

Here's a quote from Dr. Nicholas Dodman, the Director of the Behavior Clinic
at Tufts:

"Many owners change a scratching post when it is old and tattered. This is
dead wrong, as shredding indicate frequent use and that is exactly what you
want. Half the fun cats experience from a scratching post derives from
getting their claws stuck in the material and leaving wispy threads as
testimony of their erstwhile presence."

I'd buy another post- but keep the old one until the cats break in the new
one. You might want to consider getting a few scratching posts with
different textures and orientations (vertical, horizontal, wedge) to provide
different challenges for your cats that will stimulate their interest and
enrich their environment.

Phil

http://www.maxshouse.com/understanding_scratching.htm

http://www.maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm