Charlies's new home

Old March 12th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Charlies's new home

My Dad's cat Charlie has gone to his new home. The nursing home called
the aide and she called me sobbing wanting to make sure this was what I
wanted. I assured her it was because Dad had made the arrangement with
her and I thought she would be a good home for Charlie because I knew
she loved him. I told her to go and pick up anything that looked
remotely cat related and take it.

I called her later to see how she was doing and to check on Charlie.
She is doing okay. Charlie is kind of in shell shock. I recommended a
vet clinic and told her where he got his last shots so she would know
how to document keeping them up to date. Charlie is hiding a little bit
and being kind of docile right now. It is clear he knows things have
changed permanently. But I feel better because he knows this woman and
he will eventually come out of his shell. He is 8 years old maybe 9 and
has a lot of years left if well taken care of. This woman knew she was
getting Charlie, so when she remodeled her house, built in a bay window
for Charlie to sit in. That gave my Dad a lot of comfort - knowing that
he was being looked after even before she had him.

She told me that my father encouraged her to become a nurse. He didn't
do that to just any of the aides. So I will take up his place and start
encouraging her to do just that. I offered her free tutoring in
whatever she needs tutoring in to make it. I know most of that stuff,
so I will help her in what ever way I can. She was, as my Dad put it,
"one of the good ones." That was rare praise coming from my Dad. He
only saved that for the ones he really liked. And he gladly told them
freely how he felt about them.I go this afternoon to pick up his stuff
and sort through the rest of the things that I want or that will be
donated to the nursing home. I get his recliner and brand new
television set (very brand new - less than a month old my sister bought
it for us to watch movies on for his b-day on Feb 17. I picked it up on
the 18th and took it to him so we hardly got to use it), I get my craft
supplies back, they get to keep his clothes - including all his brightly
colored pajama pants (and they were to beat the band), they get the
lamps, they get the small table that he did crafts on in the beginning
(I got no place to put it and they've been wanting it ever since he got
it!) They get his winter coat and winter gloves for another resident who
might need them to go out to appointments next winter. It is amazing
how many residents show up there without many clothes. So I am glad to
be leaving some of Dad's things behind that can still be used by someone.

I talk to the director of the nursing home in the morning to arrange a
time for a memorial service for Dad because there are trainings she has
scheduled and I don't want to interfere with those and I want those
people to be able to come and it has become apparent in talking to
people at the nursing home that they need closure too, so I am going to
hold something for them. He wasn't just my Dad, he was their friend and
patient and they took care of him for a long time and had a great
fondness for him. I am not going to dismiss that. It was important to
him. And, I think it will do me some good to see the people show up for
him.

Okay, I started on topic there, I just wandered a bit off topic as it
went on. I've done worse .

Bridget - who isn't crying quite so much anymore
Old March 12th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:
My Dad's cat Charlie has gone to his new home. The nursing home called
the aide and she called me sobbing wanting to make sure this was what I
wanted. I assured her it was because Dad had made the arrangement with
her and I thought she would be a good home for Charlie because I knew
she loved him. I told her to go and pick up anything that looked
remotely cat related and take it.

I will send crossing purrs for your dad, comfort purrs for you and
forever-home-blessing purrs for Charlie.

It sounds like your dad's things will be put to good use. My Grandma,
when she moved into a partial care facility, she saw some curtains in
the display room which she decided she wanted. They had belonged to
another resident who had passed away and left them to the home. So the
home gave them to Grandma to seal the lease deal, and then a few years
later when Grandma went into a full care ward she gave the curtains to
me. They're hanging behind me now...Actually, most of my furniture and
half my kitchen things were left to me by my Grandma, though my Grandpa
Pletsch gave me a bunch of stuff too when he sold his house.

And I really think that is the way to go...why should one person
suddenly find themselves with doubles/triples of couches, tv's,
dressers, pots when someone else is sitting on a lawn chair in their
living room and has only one pot which doubles as their plate? (ah, my
first year out of residence/barracks...)

--Fil

Old March 12th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:
[...]

I'm very sorry for your loss. I also know it's wonderful to know Charlie
has gone to a good home, one your dad approved of. It's also wonderful to
know some of his belongings are going to be put to good use by the nursing
home rather than simply donated to strangers. You are in my thoughts.

Jill

Old March 12th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad a few years ago and it left a
big hole in my life. You've found a wonderful way to honor him, by
encouraging the aide. I hope Charlie adjusts soon to his new home, and you
to life without your Dad.

Sandy

Old March 12th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:

Okay, I started on topic there, I just wandered a bit off topic as it
went on. I've done worse .

It sounds like Charlie is going to a wonderful home. It must have been a
great comfort to your dad to know that. And don't worry about staying on
topic. Tomorrow will be a tough day for you. {{{{Bridget}}}}

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 12th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:
Bridget - who isn't crying quite so much anymore

Purrs for you and purrs for Charlie.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 13th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sounds like Charlie is off to a great new home. PUrrs for his
adjustment. Your dad is smiling down, I'm sure. You're a good
daughter to make sure his wishes are fulfilled. Bridget, I'm glad
you're feeling a little better. Hang in there. You're doing great.

--
Cheryl
Old March 13th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

It's obvious that you are one of the good people, too, Bridget, and I'm sure
your Dad knew that. I think Charlie is going to be happy in his new home,
once he adjust, it looks as though you have formed a new friendship, and by
helping this woman become a nurse, you are carrying out your Dad's wishes.
Sounds like a win-win situation all around.

Joy

Old March 13th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Charlie could have had several wonderful homes from the staff at the
nursing home, but I put restrictions on Dad. I told him that I didn't
want Charlie to ever to have to move to another home again. So no older
people were considered. If they weren't likely to outlive Charlie, they
were eliminated from consideration. They had to be people that
consistently gave Charlie attention and that Dad respected and people
that I thought would give Charlie a good home based on how they treated
their patients. The person he went to would come in and brush him
regularly and constantly gave my Dad crap and could get my Dad to do
things no one else could do. She considers it an honor to have Charlie.
And she is financially able to take care of him. All things I
considered important.

He is starting to come out from behind the furniture and sit in laps.
So the shell shock is wearing off a little bit. He has all the things
from my Dad's room, so he has familiar smelling things. He's gonna be
okay. And I am glad it was prearranged. It made it so much easier for
me and deepened the bond between my Dad and this woman over the last
year. I'll keep that.

Bridget

Old March 13th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-12, Bridget penned:
My Dad's cat Charlie has gone to his new home. The nursing home
called the aide and she called me sobbing wanting to make sure this
was what I wanted. I assured her it was because Dad had made the
arrangement with her and I thought she would be a good home for
Charlie because I knew she loved him. I told her to go and pick up
anything that looked remotely cat related and take it.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bridget, but glad that Charlie has a good
home. That's one less thing to stress about.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully