I've had a HRFL Tiger story accepted!

Old March 14th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I've had a HRFL Tiger story accepted!

Helen Miles wrote:
A while back, I wrote a post about Tiger and Bonnie. Someone here
suggested that I sent it to "Smarter than Jack", an organisation that
produces books with true animal stories to raise money for animal
shelters. I did submit the story, then promptly completely forgot all
about it.

In my IN-box today, I recieved this.....

"Thank you for submitting your story for the SMARTER than JACK series.
We would like to include your story as part of our special book, Cheeky
animals are SMARTER than JACK, which will be published in June 2006. It
will be published in North America under the title 91 smart sassy
animals.

The decision on which stories to include was not easy; we received many
entertaining stories covering a range of cheeky animal antics. However
your story stood out."

I AM SO CHUFFED!!!!

This was the story....

"Sneaky Tiger

I had come back from walking Bonnie, my dog (and the bane of my cat
Tiger’s life). Without realising I hadn’t shut the front door properly,
I went and made a cup of tea.

The cats are absolutely not ever allowed outside the front of my house
because the road can be very busy, so of course Tiger has made it his
life’s ambition to see what is out there.

I was drinking my tea when, out of the blue, Bonnie came running into
the kitchen and barked at me. Then she started whining and tugging on my
trousers with her teeth. As this was not her normal behaviour I went to
see what was wrong.

I got into the hall, just in time to see Tiger sneaking out of the front
door, which was slightly ajar. Bonnie went after him and tried to herd
him back into the house with her nose, whining all the while.
To say Tiger was annoyed that he had been caught was an understatement.
He gave Bonnie a look of pure loathing, slapped her on the head and went
off upstairs in a right huff. I, on the other hand, gave Bonnie a big
cuddle and told her what a good girl she was.
My dog is not nearly as dumb as she makes out she is."

I get a complimentary copy of the book in June, when it's printed, and
there should also be a couple of photos alongside the story of Bonnie
and HRFL, as I emailed them with the authorisation form. Quite made my
day.

Helen M

Congratulations, Helen!

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 14th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt" wrote in message

Wow - what a terrible experience. He must have been a fairly young guy
to have kids so young. (Not necessarily, I guess, but I wouldn't expect
him to be older than his 40s.) What a tragedy for that family.

Bonnie does seem like a very special dog. Somehow she figured out that
the girls really needed her help, with what had just happened. She must
have realized that one of the kids' main protectors was gone, and the
other was bereaved, so she was filling in for them.///

It was fairly traumatic, and he was 45, so yes, pretty young. The
interesting thing was, the dogs actually found him first - My friend has
a black labrador, Shadow, and it was he and Bonnie who alerted us that
something was wrong with Dave, and we didn't restrict their access to
him once we found him on the floor - and they KNEW something was
seriously wrong.

Dogs are amazing creatures, as are cats. And I say that as a Cat person.
;o)

Helen m

Old March 15th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:a284d15238de4d5234f527b329dac7b6.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
[...]

WOO HOO!! Concatulations Helen! You are not only a good writer, but lucky
as well. I look forward to looking for the book with your story in it.

Pam S. thrilled

Old March 15th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

A while back, I wrote a post about Tiger and Bonnie. Someone here
suggested that I sent it to "Smarter than Jack", an organisation that
produces books with true animal stories to raise money for animal
shelters. I did submit the story, then promptly completely forgot all
about it.

In my IN-box today, I recieved this.....

"Thank you for submitting your story for the SMARTER than JACK series.
We would like to include your story as part of our special book, Cheeky
animals are SMARTER than JACK, which will be published in June 2006. It
will be published in North America under the title 91 smart sassy
animals.

The decision on which stories to include was not easy; we received many
entertaining stories covering a range of cheeky animal antics. However
your story stood out."

snip
Helen M

Congrats! You so deserve it!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 15th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

She's very, very gentle, and very protective of her family (including
the cats). She's so sweet, I can safely leave her to babysit and mother
5 week old kittens (not that I do as there is potential for a disaster).

Two incidences spring to mind. Last year I had 3 foster kittens with
very bad flu - Flanagan, Alfie and Lola. They were *VERY* ill and it was
touch and go for a while. She helped me bath them, helped keep them
warm, and when they recovered allowed them to trample all over her,
swing on her tail and generally mothered them. When Lily arrived, she
was a nightmare because all she wanted to do was wash Lily, mother her,
and look after her. Where ever Lily was, Bonnie had to be.

About 18 months ago, I was staying at a friends house, and we found her
husband dead in the kitchen - he had died of a massive heart attack.
Bonnie went into hyper protective mode with my friends 2 young daughters
- she stayed with them, kept telling them she loved them, and guarded
them at night by sleeping on their bed. Anyone other than my friend or
myself was not allowed to approach the kids - Bonnie always positioned
herself between them, and the girls and growled. On the day of the
funeral, with all the family coming into the house, she became so over
protective, she became dangerous and at one point I thought she was
going to bite someone. This is a dog without a nasty bone in her body.

She's also a registered P.A.T. (Pets as therapy) dog and visits the
local childrens cancer hospice.

She's pretty special for a dog. )

Helen M

What an incredible d*ggie! You must be so proud of her!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Rrrrwwwarrr I'm a TIGER!! Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 14 November 19th 05 01:40 AM
Tigger's Story Nan Cat anecdotes 14 September 3rd 04 02:25 PM
Toilet-Trained Taiwanese "Tiger" Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 4 April 14th 04 09:27 PM
Metal bowls for Tiger? LOL Cat anecdotes 13 March 28th 04 04:10 PM
PING Yowie - Share a story, please? Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 6 December 14th 03 02:15 PM