NOT a non-event

Old April 24th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default NOT a non-event

Some time ago I posted about Miranda's annual check-up, which went
without a hitch, so I called it a non-event. Well, today it was
Caliban's turn to go, and this was a whole nother kettle of fish.

Miranda meekly walks into her carrier when I carry her over to it.
Caliban fights tooth and nail... err, claw, and he's strong! OK, I was
prepared, and fortunately he doesn't hide under the bed or any other
hard-to-reach place when he's upset, so it only took me five minutes to
get him inside the carrier. Then we trundled off to the bus. Caliban
wanted to sing his 'Goin' to the TED' blues all the way, of course. A
nice old lady talked baby-talk to him half the way, so he shut up and
tried to appeal to her with his big innocent eyes saying, 'can't you see
what this hoomin is doing to me? Save me! Please?'

At the vet's, I was surprised that Cali boy just walked out of the
carrier - I had been prepared to drag him out. He walked out and started
to curl up on the counter while sniffing the vet and her assistant
veeeery thoroughly at the same time. She checked him out (as I
anticipated, he will have to have his teeth cleaned soon), I said I'm
worried about his weight and we talked about what he eats, and then she
carried him over to the scales. OMG!!! He weighed a whopping 6.24 kilos
(13.75 lbs)!!!

He weighed 5.6 (12.35) last year. I'd thought he'd lost weight this past
autumn. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the numbers. Cali boy is
definitely going on a diet now. Poor boy. He's such a food-oriented cat,
but still I've only been giving him the same amount as Miranda, who
weighs about half of what he weighs. Let the food war begin. I will have
to fight him even more than before to keep him off Mir-Mir's food.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban
Old April 24th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

He weighed 5.6 (12.35) last year. I'd thought he'd lost weight this past
autumn. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the numbers. Cali boy is
definitely going on a diet now. Poor boy. He's such a food-oriented cat,
but still I've only been giving him the same amount as Miranda, who
weighs about half of what he weighs. Let the food war begin. I will have
to fight him even more than before to keep him off Mir-Mir's food.

Marina, are you sure he doesn't eat more than Mir? Because if he doesn't,
then maybe he just has a different metabolism from hers, in which case, it
could just be that his body is genetically programmed to store more fat.
Does the vet say this is unhealthy? His weight doesn't seem all that high
to me.

Roxy is 12 lbs (5.4 kg), not much less than Cali, and no vets have suggested
I put her on a diet (and doctors are very diet-oriented in the States). She
always acts finicky, and appears to eat less than the other two. However, I
leave dry food down at all times, so she could be grazing when I'm not around.
Or, maybe she's just super fuel-efficient! Smudge on the other hand, could
eat a horse - she appears to eat about 3 times what the others eat, and she's
tiny. Of course, she's also indoor/outdoor, so she probably gets more exercise.

Good luck!

Joyce

Old April 24th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:35:51 +0300, Marina
yodeled:

[...]

Poor Cali! Glad it's nothing worse than a few extra pounds. Stinky
was a butterball at that age, which is why I'm not terribly worried
about Dante being a little cannonball -- Stinky's eating stablized
a lot after around age 2.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 24th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:

Marina, are you sure he doesn't eat more than Mir? Because if he doesn't,
then maybe he just has a different metabolism from hers, in which case, it
could just be that his body is genetically programmed to store more fat.
Does the vet say this is unhealthy? His weight doesn't seem all that high
to me.

I think we've discussed this before - European cats seem to be smaller
in general than US cats. Caliban doesn't have a very large frame - all
the other male cats I know are larger than him - but he definitely has a
large bulge in the middle. A very squishy tummy. I don't know if it
shows very well in his pictures. The vet agreed that he needs to diet.
Actually, she said last year, when he weighed 5.6, that he should slim
down a little. And I thought he had, so it was a huge shock to see the
scales now. I feel like such a bad Meowmie. I guess seeing him every
day, I just didn't realise. I should get myself a proper bathroom scale.

And about the food - yes, I'm sure I give the same size portion to each
cat. The vet said some cats just store it differently from others.
They're individual that way, just like humans, I guess. She also said to
cut back a little on his vitamin/calcium supplement. She's going to send
us an invite to have his teeth done in about 6 months, so we'll see if
there's been any progress.

--
Marina, Miranda and a staaaarving Caliban
Old April 24th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message

[...]

Even tiny little Molly looked like she swallowed a bowling ball up until a
few weeks ago. Spring sprang, she spends more time out hunting now, and her
profile has slimmed right down.

Caliban is just building up his reserves for the island.

Jo

Old April 24th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Exocat[_2_]

"Marina" wrote
And about the food - yes, I'm sure I give the same size portion to each
cat. The vet said some cats just store it differently from others.

Hah! This proves that the great big porker's been at our HK Chapter '05
Strategic Scoff Reserves all along!

Serve him right to have to go on a strict dye-it!!

Purrs
Claudius the Svelte
Purresident, HK Chapter '05

Old April 25th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
carried him over to the scales. OMG!!! He weighed a whopping 6.24 kilos
(13.75 lbs)!!!

Last time we weighted Fez, he came in at 13.35 lbs. He's not fat though,
he's just a very large cat.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 25th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jofirey wrote:
Even tiny little Molly looked like she swallowed a bowling ball up until a
few weeks ago. Spring sprang, she spends more time out hunting now, and her
profile has slimmed right down.

Caliban is just building up his reserves for the island.

Last summer I thought Caliban would lose weight while we were on the
island. But both my nieces free-feed their cats kibble, and Caliban
would just waltz in and empty their bowls as if visiting a restaurant.
And their boy cats would just let him eat their food. So he definitely
did not lose any weight last summer, though he probably got a lot more
exercise than here at home.

--
Marina, Miranda and staaarving Caliban
Old April 25th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Exocat wrote:
Hah! This proves that the great big porker's been at our HK Chapter '05
Strategic Scoff Reserves all along!

Serve him right to have to go on a strict dye-it!!

I think Caliban may have to step down from his position as trespurrer.
He is definitely not the right cat to be in charge of any food.

--
Marina, Miranda and staaarving Caliban
Old April 25th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
I think we've discussed this before - European cats seem to be smaller
in general than US cats. Caliban doesn't have a very large frame - all
the other male cats I know are larger than him - but he definitely has a
large bulge in the middle.

Now that you mention it, the largest cat breeds, Ragdolls and Maine
Coons, did originate in the US, and a lot of moggies here are Maine
Coon mixes, being long haired and big.

LOCAL EVENT Cat dies in fire after saving family Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 April 5th 07 12:17 AM
Older female cat with a Cerebral Event??? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 March 21st 07 01:13 AM
A non-event Marina Cat anecdotes 7 February 19th 07 06:06 AM
[ot] An Eyrie Event... Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 3 February 9th 05 10:44 PM