Thank you all (LONG)

Old July 2nd 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default Thank you all (LONG)

First of all I want to thank everyone of you for the messages, candles
(thanks Adrian), common sense advice from Tweed and Sherry who
understand (as I am sure you all do) I am currently second guessing
and doing a ton of "What if's"etc

My head knows I did the right thing- my heart is still breaking.

I was maybe about as coherent as I was going to be just after it
happened. I was upset when we first went to the vet and the vet
thought she had a good chance if her bloods were okay I called Dave
and said "Seems like she'll make it.....okay she'll bankrupt us but
who cares?" then had to call 1/2 an hour later and tell him the bad
news.

(Vet was a bit funny- she was technically very competent as far as I
can tell but made no attempt to even stroke Dunzi- she tipped her out
the carrier, asked me a couple of pertinent questions "Does she go
out?" "Do you have any lillies in the house?" then felt her all over,
listened to her chest, shoved the thermometer in okay she could tell
she was ill but then the next thing she's sitting at her computer
explaining to me without even looking me in the face Dunzi needs to
go to the emergency clinic and they need to do this to stabilise her
and they need to do a blood test oh and can I afford at least £600? I
ended up feeling a bit like some guy in the old days discussing with
his girlfriends father his prospects... "Look I have £4K on my card, a
£4.5k overdraft if I need it etc"As it was the bill for a swift
examination/a blood test/ a drip/one shot each of pain killer/
antibiotic/ pre euthanasia sedation/ Vitamin P and disposal via
general cremation (I am giving the amount they would have charged for
individual cremation between the local shelter and the Celia Hammond
charity in her memory and both will be very grateful for a not
inconsiderable donation to put it mildly) was almost £300 and there
was hard sell on the cremation from the vet- the nurse was much nicer)

Anyway I shan't use them again...Thursday I called Kylie to let her
know what happened and to apologise for not having called her but
their practice doesn't open Wednesdays (there is an emergency number
beats me why I didn't use it- wasn't thinking straight) and Friday I
got a card with the Rainbow Bridge poem from Kylie, which was sweet of
her

Thursday morning I went to work GOK only knows how...as soon as I got
in I was crying (come to think of it James was going into the office
before me and asked me if I was okay so I was crying before I got in)
so I asked for the afternoon and Friday off.....A lot of people said
they were sorry, Ali said "Been through it" Dr G said he was
dreadfully sorry and felt I shouldn't take time off "you'll only
mope" like he didn't understand that's why I wanted the time off...
Linda G the Ice Queen cried in front of me as she recalled cats she
had lost herself the last person I would have expected to be so
sympathetic ...

I think I spent Thursday crying non stop pretty much everything felt
weird I opened the book I had been reading just before Dave called me
and it felt strange- I came home and for a cat that used to just crash
out all over the place she's left a vast emptiness. I can't get used
to coming in and out without having to look to make sure she didn't
get past me and do her "Dirty little stop out" routine

Now it's hitting me at weird times....I noticed today a week or so ago
Adrian had posted on FB that he hoped I'd use my new camera to get
some good photos of the cats and I replied "With this camera they're 8
and it'll be a race against time" and that cracks me up...

Thursday I was trying to post on my phone and the spellchecker popped
up "Press + to delete Dunzi" and I couldn;t stop crying. Finding her
picture on my phone was bad I jsut kissed my phone and ignored funny
looks

I had to get a new litter tray (I meant to last weekend) Friday and
the realisation I no longer need the extra large as I now have 1 cat
not 2 left me sobbing helplessly in "Wilkinsons"

(Some people have asked if I'll "get another one"- not sure if that
would be fair on Sarsi, I mean certainly not right now....depends on
how she is when we have to leave her alone for a few hours at the end
of the month and like Tweed I am not saying "NO" but rather "If a
starving waif turned up outside well it would be my duty as a slave to
bring them in and feed them")

Friday I got totally upset- for years when it comes to daytime naps,
Sarsi has slept on the bed and Dunzi has meatloafed by the side of my
chair (her chair actually she just graciously allowed me to sit on it
and was there to make sure as soon as I got up she could have it back)
so what happens Friday morning? As I am sitting on the chair getting
dressed I see a small black cat meatloafing next to my chair and just
for a second I forget and lean over only to find Sarsi has decided to
sit in Dunzi's place

Oh yes Sarsi.....She's been looking everywhere for Dunzi- Friday Dave
admitted he put her on his lap and tried to tell in English (a coarse
language as far as cats are concerned) what happened to Dunzi half
way through she smacked him on the face....

Truth is whilst she's looking for her (I am not making some sort of
value judgement here since she is a cat) I think she wouldn't be
unhappy if she doesn't reappear (which she won't). They used to be
buddies (Dave tells me Wednesday when Dunzi was laying on her side,
Sarsi came over licked her then sat next to her for a time) as kittens
they could hardly be seperated then there was a short period when
Sarsi was the alpha then over the last 18 months to 2 years if I am
honest Dunzi started to bully Sarsi

Take Wednesday night (Over the last few years there were 2 ways to
find if Dunzi was about one was to feed her and the other was to call
Sarsi over at which point Dunzi would come out from wherever she was
lurking, barge your hand away from Sarsi and if Sarsi got close she'd
smack her one) I was sitting and I saw Sarsi in the doorway so I
called her over and she trotted towards me carefully looking at the
sofa all the time as she expected to be pushed aside/attacked by Dunzi

Once again thank you all and thank you for listening o my ravings and
it is still with such immense sadness I must sign myself

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball
Old July 2nd 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

***

Of course it's with immense sadness! Just go on grieving in your own way
and know there are many of us here who understand.

Purrs and hugs,

Joy

Old July 2nd 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Lesley, I don't understand what was wrong with Dunzi. As far as I
can tell from your post, she went out and ate some poisonous lilies?

In any event, I am sending additional sympathetic purrs.

Old July 2nd 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Disregard above post, I found your other post about what was wrong. Should
have looked for it first.

Old July 2nd 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

[...]

I think I know something of what you're feeling - Smudge's cancer took
me by surprise, too. It's not the same, because she wasn't on the very
verge of death, but she was given a terminal diagnosis and they told me
she was in pain at that moment, and the most humane thing I could do was
have her euthanized. Two different vets at two different animal hospitals
said the same thing, and yet I still find myself second guessing my
decision. It's hard to let go of that guilt.

You had a lot less choice in the matter. You followed Dunzi's cues in
a reasonable way. She seemed better, so it was certainly appropriate to
wait and see. How could you have known what was going to happen? And
now it sounds like even if you had brought her in immediately, it would
not have saved her. I hope you will be able to stop blaming yourself
for something that was totally out of your control. Of course, then
you have to recognize that it was totally out of your control... and
that's scary as hell.

Purrs for you and Dave, and for Sarsi, too, even if she's relieved not
to be pushed around. It's a big loss for everyone.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old July 3rd 11, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jul 2, 3:33*pm, wrote:

Purrs for you and Dave, and for Sarsi, too, even if she's relieved not
to be pushed around. It's a big loss for everyone.

Sarsi looked for her on top of the wardrobe this morning- like Issi
when Gaz passed it's the last place to look (Sarsi was Boss Cat on top
of the wardrobe- Dunzi wasn't such a keen climber although she would
go up there from time to time but only if Sarsi couldn't see her as
they'd worked out a mutual policy of which areas belonged to which
cat- for example under the sofa was Dunzi's we've seen her dragging
post/newspapers etc under there after which you'd hear a lot of
rustling we think when we move it we will find a cosy little nest that
she made for herself (we used to say when we heard rustling "She's
doing DIY again") but neither of us have ever seen Sarsi do more than
sniff at the edge (and sometimes get a smack for her troubles from
Dunzi)) Once she;d intently inspected the area and established no
Dunzi was hiding there she came back down and she's been very subdued
since although when I stroked her she rolled over to have a tummy
tickle seemed to deliberately make herself look as cute as she could
almost like she's saying "Don't send me away too"

We'll see how it goes if she does want a playmate I am sure she'll let
us know or she'll pray to Bast and Bast will provide- she is a
sociable cat with other cats, she was always trying to play with Dunzi
however many times she got her a** whupped for her attempts

At Long Last jofirey Cat anecdotes 8 July 21st 07 03:51 PM
It's been a long long time Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 35 June 6th 05 04:15 PM
3 years of fleas! (long...sorry...it's a long problem) Foxsrus1 Cat health & behaviour 17 December 9th 04 07:46 PM
Back from a long weekend (and a long post!) Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 10 June 30th 04 09:29 PM
the long, long driveway Joyeux Chanson Cat anecdotes 3 June 11th 04 10:56 PM