Rabies Vaccine Mandatory in NJ?- Updated listing

Old June 8th 04, 01:27 AM
Laura R.

Default Rabies Vaccine Mandatory in NJ?- Updated listing

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:11:41 +0200, in alt.cats, Camilla Baird
) said,

27 states, plus the District of Columbia, require feline rabies
vaccination. Indoor status doesn't exempt a cat, the assumption being
that it could someday get out and get infected. It's frustrating, but
there's not much you can do about it.

Ask your veterinarian to use an adjuvant-free vaccine, and if s/he
won't, then find a new vet. Adjuvants are strongly suspected of
causing injection-site sarcomas in cats, specifically in the rabies
and FeLV vaccines.

Laura

Laura,
Do you happen to know which 27 states these are? or can you direct me to
a link where I can find the info, please?
Camilla

Okay, let me try this again. I found some goofs in my other one. :-)

States that require vaccination (27 of them):
Alaska
Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

More detailed information:
labama- requires proof of rabies vaccination not more than 1 year old
for cats being brought into the state. Could not locate documentation
requiring vaccination for resident cats.
Alaska- cats are required to be vaccinated at 12+ weeks and 1 year
later, followed by triennial boosters.
http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulle...s/b2002_01.htm
Arizona- vaccination not required. State recommends vaccination.
http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/cat_licensing.pdf
http://www.speedwayvet.com/swpage2.htm
Arkansas- annual vaccination required.
http://www.healthyarkansas.com/services/rabies_main.htm
California- locally mandated requirements; state requires rabies
control programs.
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/rabi...0and%20Control
Colorado- locally mandated requirements. State recommends
vaccination.
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/zoon...es/comp-02.pdf
Connecticut- cats are required to be vaccinated at 12+ weeks and 1
year later, followed by triennial boosters. Cats receiving first
vaccination after 1 year of age are required only to have triennial
boosters.
http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2003/pub/...Sec22-339b.htm
Delaware- cats 6+ months must be vaccinated and owner must maintain
valid vaccination certificate. Booster frequency determined by
vaccine used.
http://www.delcode.state.de.us/title3/c082/index.htm
Florida- triennial vaccine required with triennial boosters.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...ebook/rabies00
..pdf
Georgia- annual vaccination required
http://www.gpc.dhr.georgia.gov/00/ar...086,5640847_0_
11794808,00.html
Hawaii- because there is no rabies in Hawaii, requirements to bring
animals into the state are complex; quarantine requirements have been
reduced (to as little as five days) if animals meet specific
requirements. No record of required vaccination for resident animals
that are not traveling out-of-state.
http://www.hawaiiag.org/AQS/aqs-checklist-resident.PDF
http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/Members/st...003-06-23.3313
Idaho- no vaccination requirements found; vaccination recommended.
http://www2.state.id.us/dhw/cdp/bulletin/db12-99.htm
http://www2.state.id.us/dhw/news/200..._rabidbats.htm
Illinois- locally mandated requirements, e.g., Lake County requires
vaccination.
http://www.co.lake.il.us/health/pdfs/ehs/art_x.pdf
Indiana- annual vaccination required beginning at 12 weeks.
http://www.in.gov/boah/companion/rabies/fact_sheet.html
Iowa- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/cat_licensing.pdf
http://www.cityofmarion.org/faq/pet_info.html
Kansas- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/epi/down...endium2004.pdf
Kentucky- vaccination required for cats that are exhibited or sold;
annual/triennial requirements depend on age of animal at first
vaccination. Cats not required to be vaccinated if not exhibited or
sold, but local governments are permitted to implement requirements.
http://www.kyagr.com/state_vet/ah/Sa...s.htm#Section9
http://tinyurl.com/2pa5y
Louisiana- annual vaccination required.
http://www.catpractice.com/vaccin.html
http://www.sbpanimal.homestead.com/RVD.html
Maine- vaccination required.
http://www.maine.gov/dhs/etl/rabies/rabiesfacts.htm
Maryland- vaccination required. Annual/triennial requirement
dependent on vaccine and age of animal.
http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/publ-rel...3/0503tara.htm
Massachusetts- cats are required to be vaccinated by six months of
age or within thirty days of acquisition of a cat older than six
months of age, with booster 9 months to 1 year later. Subsequent
booster frequency determined by vaccine used.
http://www.mass.gov/agr/legal/regs/animal_1000%7E1
_rabiesprevention.pdf
Michigan- locally mandated requirements. Cities adopting licensing
programs must also require rabies vaccination.
http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/PageServer?
pagename=vetcare_felineDesease
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmist287_290.htm
Minnesota- vaccination required; frequency of booster determined by
vaccine used.
http://server.admin.state.mn.us/resource.html?Id=2867
Mississippi- cats are required to be vaccinated at 12+ weeks and 1
year later, followed by triennial boosters using triennial vaccine.
http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite...42,pdf/Recomme
ndationsForVets%2Epdf
Missouri- locally mandated requirements.
http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...ets/g09940.htm
Montana- animals must have valid rabies certificate if imported into
the state, sold in the state or upon change of ownership.
http://www.discoveringmontana.com/li...ports/PETS.asp
http://www.discoveringmontana.com/li...ases/RABIES.as
Nebraska- vaccination required.
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144002.html
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144003.html
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144001.html
Nevada- triennial vaccination required.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Register/...r/T058-99A.pdf
New Hampshire- vaccination required. Frequency of booster dependent
on vaccine (?)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...36/436-100.htm
New Jersey- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/cat_licensing.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/rabies.htm
New Mexico- triennial vaccination required unless overridden by
locally mandated requirements.
http://www.petroglyphsnm.org/news/fal03news.html
New York- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...=nyc_s_2_11_66
http://www.lovethatcat.com/stny.html
North Carolina- vaccination required.
http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/rabies/
North Dakota- locally mandated requirements. State recommends
mandating rabies vaccination.
http://www.health.state.nd.us/diseas...escomp2002.pdf
Ohio- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.usaha.org/reports/epiat97.html
http://tinyurl.com/26aeb
Oklahoma- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.health.state.ok.us/progra...col/rabies.pdf
http://www.okc.gov/news/2004_01/rabies.html
Oregon- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.vil.oregon.wi.us/Clerk/Pet%20Licensing.htm
http://www.hswv.com/adoption.html
Pennsylvania- cats are required to be vaccinated at 12+ weeks and 1
year later, followed by triennial boosters.
http://tinyurl.com/29van
Rhode Island- vaccination required.
http://www.state.ri.us/dem/programs/...ild/rabies.htm
South Carolina- vaccination required.
http://www.scdhec.net/news/releases/...3clinics02.htm
South Dakota- vaccination required at frequency determined by vaccine
used.
http://nsu-cc.northern.edu/aac/rabies.html
Tennessee- vaccination required.
http://www.state.tn.us/sos/acts/103/pub/pc0765.pdf
Texas- vaccination required; may be annual or triennial depending on
whether Texas rabies law change has passed.
http://texascats.com/region3/legisla...law_update.htm
Utah- vaccination required.
http://health.utah.gov/epi/rabies/R386rabies.pdf
Vermont- vaccination required.
http://www.vermontagriculture.com/restright.PDF
Virginia- vaccination required, boosters according to vaccine used.
http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/ps/ac/rabfacts.htm
Washington- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.mrsc.org/Subjects/PubSafe...se.aspx#Rabies
West Virginia- vaccination every two years required.
http://tinyurl.com/28xs5
Wisconsin- vaccination not required for cats.
http://www.wvma.org/news02.asp
Wyoming- locally mandated requirements; "rabies districts".
http://www.wyadmb.com/Chapter25.PDF

Interstate travel requirements:
http://www.oda.state.or.us/ahid/anim...&catPrint.html

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 8th 04, 02:29 AM
MaryL

.. .

--

Laura,

Thanks for providing this information. I think I can update one aspect of
it. I live in Texas, and (according to my vet) Texas law now calls for
triennial rabies vaccinations. That changed from a requirement for annual
vaccinations within the last couple of years.

MaryL

Old June 8th 04, 03:21 AM
Laura R.

circa Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:29:09 -0500, in rec.pets.cats, MaryL
-OUT-THE-LITTER) said,

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, Mary. :-)

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 8th 04, 10:53 AM
Sherry

Thanks for providing this information. I think I can update one aspect of
it. I live in Texas, and (according to my vet) Texas law now calls for
triennial rabies vaccinations. That changed from a requirement for annual
vaccinations within the last couple of years.

That's what I've never understood. The rabies vaccine is supposed to be a
3-year vaccine, yet the law requires annual vaccinations. Rabies is a dreadful
disease, I agree, and we went through rabies shots back when it was a 21-shot
series. But still, it seems like overkill to keep vaccinating yearly with that
stuff.

Sherry

Old June 8th 04, 12:25 PM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
Thanks for providing this information. I think I can update one aspect

of
it. I live in Texas, and (according to my vet) Texas law now calls for
triennial rabies vaccinations. That changed from a requirement for

annual
vaccinations within the last couple of years.

That's what I've never understood. The rabies vaccine is supposed to be a
3-year vaccine, yet the law requires annual vaccinations. Rabies is a

dreadful
disease, I agree, and we went through rabies shots back when it was a

21-shot
series. But still, it seems like overkill to keep vaccinating yearly with

that
stuff.

Sherry

As I mentioned in my previous post, Texas law required annual vaccinations
until recently, despite the fact that the vaccine was certified for 3-year
use. I asked my vet about that several years ago. It was his *opinion* at
that time that the state was acting on an overabundance of caution. He
speculated that it might have been due to a couple of things: (1) Texas has
more cases of rabies than many states, especially in certain areas; (2) fear
that people would be more likely to forget to keep vaccinations up-to-date
if the 3-year protocol were accepted. Fortunately, as I said, that
requirement was finally changed.

MaryL