Rabies Shots

Old July 8th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Default Rabies Shots

Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!
Thanks!
Old July 8th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sharon" wrote in message
Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the ones my vet gives last two or three years. You might
call another vet and ask.

Joy

Old July 8th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

your vet is not up to date or is lying to you

3 years up to 5 years

http://www.catvaccines.com/feline_va...guidelines.htm

Old July 8th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon wrote:

Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!

A vet recently told me that the one-year vaccination is newer and
much more effective than the older 3-year one. (My cynical side says,
"Yeah, effective at raising the vet's bank balance." Shut up, Joyce! )

I don't know which is true, though. I'd rather be able to do it every
3 years, for convenience and less cost, although it's actually a lot
easier to keep track of it if it's once a year. Probably not worth it
to you in terms of catching a feral, though. I'm sure you can find a
vet who still gives the 3-year kind.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 8th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sharon" wrote in message
Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!
Thanks!

Yes, there is 3-year rabies vaccine (and titer tests show that the vaccine
is actually effective for longer periods). There are a couple of things to
consider: (1) some states require annual vaccinations, despite the 3-year
availability; and (2) there have been concerns that the 3-year vaccines can
cause even more problems than the 1-year. I said "even more" because of
concerns about vaccination-associated sarcoma -- but rabies is a dreadful
(and always fatal disease), so outdoor cats really do need the vaccine.
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/vafstf01.asp

MaryL

Old July 9th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Sharon wrote:
Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly

Find another vet. The vaccine our crew gets lasts 3 years.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 9th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 8, 3:10*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Sharon" wrote in message

Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. *The local vet says
no. *This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!
Thanks!

Yes, there is 3-year rabies vaccine (and titer tests show that the vaccine
is actually effective for longer periods). *There are a couple of things to
consider: (1) some states require annual vaccinations, despite the 3-year
availability; and (2) there have been concerns that the 3-year vaccines can
cause even more problems than the 1-year. *I said "even more" because of
concerns about vaccination-associated sarcoma -- but rabies is a dreadful
(and always fatal disease), so outdoor cats really do need the vaccine.http://www.avma.org/vafstf/vafstf01.asp

MaryL

Orion has a vax-associated sarcoma which has mestasized.
He is now doing really well, but losing weight slowly and steadily.
I would really urge anyone to research, and weigh carefully the risks
involved, and
the various types of rabies vax available. Rabies *is* a horrible
disease, but honestly, a housecat doesn't have a big risk factor.
Biskit does not get a rabies vax, because she never sticks her head
outside, and Yoda doesn't get one because the last one, in 2000,
nearly killed him. I know it's the law, but Yoda will
never get another rabies vaccination. And like you said, the rabies
titre lasts much longer than it is labeled. I used to be almost
fanatical about getting vaccinations, the full protection available,
*exactly* on the month they were due. I'm not so much
anymore, and I dread vaccinations when Boots and Frank and Wozzy go
in. AFter
the ordeal with Yoda, it's sure not a routine thing. I worry myself
sick about it every time.
Sherry
Old July 9th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Sherry wrote:
Orion has a vax-associated sarcoma which has mestasized.

{{{{{{Sherry}}}}}}}}

I would really urge anyone to research, and weigh carefully the risks
involved, and
the various types of rabies vax available. Rabies *is* a horrible
disease, but honestly, a housecat doesn't have a big risk factor.

We talked about that with our TED when Luna and Maya went in last month.
We decided the only vaccine our crew would get going forward is rabies
and only every 3 years, even though state law requires it yearly. The
reason we decided to continue rabies vaccinations is because of their
enclosure and the abundant wildlife in our garden. A rabid bat or skunk
could easily infect one of them. But that's it. One shot every three
years and nothing more.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 9th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote:
"Sharon" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that's the reason I only referred to the need for this vaccine for
*outdoor* cats. I used to routinely get all the "recommended" vaccines, but
I stopped that several years ago after seeing literature on some of the
detrimental effects.
--
MaryL

Old July 9th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Amber was due for a rabies shot this spring. I decided against it
because she is 13 years old and hates to travel. Both my cats are
strictly inside so there is no risk.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')