cat advice please

Old November 11th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
smoggy

Default cat advice please

my cat who is about 9 years old has started to lose her fur under her
bellie and inside its rear legs,this started about 8 weeks ago,and
she
is allmost bald.anyone help please.

Old November 11th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

First step....take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. This could be a
number of things -- allergies, parasites, behavioral.

S.

oups.com...

Old November 11th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"smoggy" wrote in message
oups.com...
my cat who is about 9 years old has started to lose her fur under her
bellie and inside its rear legs,this started about 8 weeks ago,and
she
is allmost bald.anyone help please.

I just responded to you on rpca, but I am repeating it here. You need to
see a veterinarian!! All of us on this group love cats (that's why we're
here), but it simply isn't possible to diagnose a specific problem from
"long distance." Moreover, most of have no medical training and you have
described a problem that has existed for several weeks. It is long past the
time when your cat should have had a medical evaluation. Please make an
appointment immediately! (And then please check back and give us an
update.)

MaryL

Old November 12th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, blkcatgal exclaimed (11/12/2007 7:40 AM):
First step....take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. This could be a
number of things -- allergies, parasites, behavioral.

S.

"smoggy" wrote in message
oups.com...
my cat who is about 9 years old has started to lose her fur under her
bellie and inside its rear legs,this started about 8 weeks ago,and
she
is allmost bald.anyone help please.

See a vet. There's one thing you can check though. Have a close look
at the fur that is still there. Is it rough, chopped off short, or does
it come to a natural point?

If it's short, then your cat's doing the same thing Meep is: fur
mowing. We haven't diagnosed Meep's problem yet, she was put on a
long-acting antibiotic but there result was inconclusive. We know she
licks at it, but only when I'm not looking, so the suspicion is
behavioral. Got Feliway, been about a month, but so far no change.

Watch her when she grooms. Does she spend more time on her belly? Is
she biting at the fur there, or otherwise grooming it differently than
the rest of her body? The vet might ask this...

Any environmental changes, changes in the household routine, changes in
her food? All clues for the vet to figure out what's wrong.

Take her to the vet, and let us know what the vet says.

jmc