Kitten food for an 8 month old cat or switch to adult food?

Old April 19th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mike

Default Kitten food for an 8 month old cat or switch to adult food?

My cat is 8 months old. Should I feed her kitten food until she's a
year old, or is it ok to switch to adult cat food if she'll eat it?
What are the potential consequences if I switch to adult food?

Thanks.

Mike
Old April 19th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Apr 19, 8:59*am, mike wrote:
My cat is 8 months old. Should I feed her kitten food until she's a
year old, or is it ok to switch to adult cat food if she'll eat it?
What are the potential consequences if I switch to adult food?

Thanks.

Mike

I used to feed Purina One kitten food till she was one year old. The
price was the same for adult food so I switched only because she
didn't need as much after being grown. I guess you could just
continue with kitten food but smaller servings if you want.
Personally I use cheaper food and suppliment with chicken from my
dinner because cats need meat. You pretty much have to try the food
on you cat to see. The rich are going to tell you to buy the
expensive stuff and the frugal tell you to buy the cheap stuff.
Old April 20th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 19, 8:59*am, mike wrote:
My cat is 8 months old. Should I feed her kitten food until she's a
year old, or is it ok to switch to adult cat food if she'll eat it?
What are the potential consequences if I switch to adult food?

Feeding cats is dependent on three thing:

Age
Weight (related to breed, of course)
Exercise

Some breeds grow for their first three years even slightly beyond -
Maine Coons come to mind.

Some breeds are done between 6 and 8 months.

An active, growing cat needs the additional protein that kitten-foods
provide - as they need lots of calories in short periods. A less
active adult cat needs fewer (relative to body weight) calories - the
delivery system is largely up to you.

None of this changes their nutritional needs and how those calories
are presented.

Our cats have always been demand-eaters - there is food out for them
all the time with 'wet' fed to them twice a day. They are also very,
very active. Even though they are typically neutered, we have never
had a fat cat or a cat that has suffered from diet-related
complications. Between the two cats, we go through two 6-ounce cans
and about 1 full cup of dry food (kitten food) each day, the older 16-
pound Maine Coon eating about as much as the younger cat - whom we
expect will remain kittenish for about the next year and be fed
accordingly. But there isn't a lick of excess fat between them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old June 1st 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

http://www.rawfedcats.org/