Buster is missing

Old May 28th 12, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Buster is missing

Buster's gone missing outside! He'd managed to push out the lower corner of
the screen door - quite a feat of strength - and he's slipped out and run
away. He's not inside, and the way he pushed out the screen, he couldn't
have gotten back inside himself even if he'd wanted to.

I've searched all around the yard, and the immediate neighborhood, but it's
past midnight, and it's dark. I've been trying to catch a glint of his eyes
with a flashlight. I hadn't seen him or checked the kitchen for only a
couple of hours, so he couldn't have been gone long.

Buster isn't an outdoor cat. He's been indoors all his life, because he's a
shy thing in unfamiliar conditions. I'm sure he might be hiding and
frightened. He's not a cat that normally goes up to people or comes when
called, so I'm not sure how I'll find him.

We're supposed to have thunderstorms today. I'm so worried for my soft,
sheltered stripey boy!
Old May 28th 12, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs for him to find his way to where you can find him.

Joy

Old May 28th 12, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 05/27/2012 11:44 PM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Do uou remember the posts about hanging out your sox or some used
clothing so a lost cat can identify his home? Also about walking in
your bare feet in a star patern for some distance from your home to make
a guide path back to your home"? If he hasn't returned, this may be of
help AFTER the storm is over.
We are sending ouir best purrs and prayers that he will find his way
home soon. MLB

Old May 28th 12, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Buster is missing - He's found!

On Sun, 27 May 2012 22:48:13 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
We're supposed to have thunderstorms today. I'm so worried for my soft,
sheltered stripey boy!

Purrs for him to find his way to where you can find him.

I found him hiding huddled on the deck! I'm so relieved.

I checked all the bushes and some of the neighbor's bushes outside, but all
that yielded me was a bunch of mosquito bites and cobwebs on my head.

I was feeling so frantic, but I tried to put myself into Buster's frame of
mind, and thought of all the possible paths he could follow that would
allow him to stay out of the open. I also knew that he liked to retreat to
heights, so I checked some trees, and also a partially-completed deck and
stairs that was a project of the previous homeowner more than a decade ago.
I'd never used it, so I'd forgotten about it. Nevertheless, I did a cursory
check, and didn't see Buster there.

But the next time I checked, I thought there was a vague shape there. I
looked closer, and it was actually a shadow thrown by a trellis, but in the
shadow was Buster! He looked down at me a bit quizzically.

I went to the bottom of the steps and called him in soft tones like I
normally do. And surprisingly, he stretched and waddled down casually and
into my arms. He purred and purred as I held him close.

But when I got him inside, he abruptly hissed at the door he'd escaped
from, and puffed up his tail. I let him down, and he trotted up the door,
and looked outside suspiciously. He's winding around my ankles now as I'm
typing.
Old May 28th 12, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:30:48 -0600, MLB wrote:
Do uou remember the posts about hanging out your sox or some used
clothing so a lost cat can identify his home? Also about walking in
your bare feet in a star patern for some distance from your home to make
a guide path back to your home"? If he hasn't returned, this may be of
help AFTER the storm is over.
We are sending ouir best purrs and prayers that he will find his way
home soon. MLB

I put out the carrier he used to sleep in as a kitten, put it under a
chair, put a shirt I was wearing today inside it, and hoped that he'd use
it as a shelter.

The exasperating thing is that he must've been watching me as I was doing
all of this and calling him and looking for him.
Old May 28th 12, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message

...He's winding around my ankles now as I'm typing.

:-)

--
MatSav

Old May 28th 12, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

I was surprised that Dot didn't follow Buster out the same way. Dot was
actually outside today, in her walking jacket in the back yard while I was
mowing the lawn in the front yard.

When I discovered the compromised screen door, Dot was right there,
trotting excitedly, like, "Buster went out! Can I go out again too?"
Old May 28th 12, 08:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2012 22:48:13 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Whew! What a relief!

Joy

Old May 28th 12, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:13:02 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
I went to the bottom of the steps and called him in soft tones like I
normally do. And surprisingly, he stretched and waddled down casually and
into my arms. He purred and purred as I held him close.

But when I got him inside, he abruptly hissed at the door he'd escaped
from, and puffed up his tail. I let him down, and he trotted up the door,
and looked outside suspiciously. He's winding around my ankles now as I'm
typing.

Whew! What a relief!

I credit advice from Gandalf (who's very active on Facebook) for keeping me
focused on the right places. He recommends a couple of websites, namely
http://www.missingpetpartnership.org...ry-lostcat.php and
http://catsinthebag.org/, for lost cat behavior.

Apparently, the important thing to do with a lost (displaced / indoor) cat
is to search hiding places in the immediate vicinity of the escape point
early and aggressively, before they have a chance to relocate to a more
distant hiding spot.
Old May 28th 12, 09:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so glad he came to no harm. I'm also glad I looked for updates before
getting too worried.
--
Adrian