Things that make kitties jump

Old August 21st 12, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Things that make kitties jump

Oh the things that make them jump and startle! I have a confession to make:
Today, I made both the kitties practically jump right out of their skins!

I call Dot my "tummy cat", because she loves having her ample tummy rubbed
and kissed. I noticed that Dot was lounging on her cat seat after getting
some kitty treats, so I reached around to scritch her wonderfully squishy
tummy flap.

It was then that she abruptly turned from a picturesque curl of sleeping
cat into something resembling a violent chemical reaction of exploding
black foam boiling above and over the side of the seat.

When she reached the floor, she turned back into a cat, and stood stock
still. I apologized and held her close. I let her have some licks of the
plain yogurt I was having.

Later, Buster came by and hopped up on my lap, loving the attention he was
getting as I routinely checked him for spots to brush or clip. Very much
unlike Dot, Buster doesn't understand treats. But I thought it wouldn't do
him any harm to get a little bit of yogurt. I smeared a tiny dollop right
under his nose.

Buster paused at this odd smell. Then, as I expected, he instinctively
licked off the sour-creamy spot. He looked absolutely *shocked* for a
moment at the taste in his mouth, and he bounded out the room in
practically one jump, galloping at top speed in the direction of his water
bowl.
Old August 22nd 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:39:53 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , Takayuki
wrote:
Buster paused at this odd smell. Then, as I expected, he instinctively
licked off the sour-creamy spot. He looked absolutely *shocked* for a
moment at the taste in his mouth, and he bounded out the room in
practically one jump, galloping at top speed in the direction of his
water bowl.

I wonder how the conversation went when they met to discuss the Humin's
behaviour.

They couldn't agree on the sequence of events. Dot feels that jumping
causes yogurt. Buster feels that yogurt causes jumping.

These two will always surprise me. I didn't think that a cat could attain
another state of matter. I also didn't think that tasting yogurt would make
a kitty run away!

I still have to laugh when I think of that look on Buster's face. I was
wondering for a moment whether that was maybe a "Yum!" expression? But I
guess not.
Old August 23rd 12, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

I love this post, and I've been meaning to respond for a couple of days.
My favorite part is when Buster is SHOCKED by the taste of yogurt, and then
races out of the room. Did he really drink water after that? That's pretty
smart of him, to think immediately about drinking water to wash out the bad
taste.

I had a "things that make kitties jump" moment last night, too. I was
sitting at the computer, and both cats were in the room with me. Suddenly
there was a loud *BOOM* sound from outside. It sounded like it came from
right outside the window I was sitting in front of, and I thought it
sounded like a gunshot. Furthermore, a few minutes later I heard
squealing car tires and a racing motor, as a car apparently pealed
out of there in a hurry.

But I guess I don't know what a gunshot actually sounds like, because
several people (mostly on my neighborhood email list, but also a friend
who lives in a much rougher neighborhood, and is very familiar with that
sound) told me that gunshots sound more like "pop! pop!" than BOOM. OK,
I'll accept that.

Anyway, back to the boom. I left the computer room and stood in the
middle of the apartment to be away from the windows. Licky and Roxy
stood nearby and both looked freaked out. I expect this from Licky -
he looks the same way when I cough. But Roxy is usually pretty mellow
and doesn't startle easily. She was kind of cowering, and looking at
me like, "Mommy, I need comfort and reassurance." I gave her a little
bit of that, but I since myself was unnerved, I didn't pay as much
attention as she needed. Poor girl! Bad mom!

Eventually we all calmed down, and the rest of the evening passed
without incident.

The belief today, among the folks in my neighborhood, is that this was
an exploding meteor. I'm sorry, but that sounds even less likely than a
gunshot. Plus, the story hasn't appeared in any of the major newspapers
or websites. The only place I've been able to find reference to it has
been on crackpot sites about apocalypses, conspiracies, crop circles and
the like. Not helpful.

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old August 23rd 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:03:49 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:
I love this post, and I've been meaning to respond for a couple of days.
My favorite part is when Buster is SHOCKED by the taste of yogurt, and then
races out of the room. Did he really drink water after that? That's pretty
smart of him, to think immediately about drinking water to wash out the bad
taste.

He might also have gone to his food dish, or the litter box, or my shoes to
hork into - they're all in the same general direction.

Anyway, back to the boom. I left the computer room and stood in the
middle of the apartment to be away from the windows. Licky and Roxy
stood nearby and both looked freaked out. I expect this from Licky -
he looks the same way when I cough. But Roxy is usually pretty mellow
and doesn't startle easily. She was kind of cowering, and looking at
me like, "Mommy, I need comfort and reassurance." I gave her a little
bit of that, but I since myself was unnerved, I didn't pay as much
attention as she needed. Poor girl! Bad mom!

Eventually we all calmed down, and the rest of the evening passed
without incident.

The belief today, among the folks in my neighborhood, is that this was
an exploding meteor.

Or a space station.

I'm sorry, but that sounds even less likely than a
gunshot. Plus, the story hasn't appeared in any of the major newspapers
or websites. The only place I've been able to find reference to it has
been on crackpot sites about apocalypses, conspiracies, crop circles and
the like. Not helpful.

My first guess would be that someone's transformer blew. Roxy is a mellow
kitty! Your pair remind me a bit of mine. Buster's also a bit scared of
sneezes, and one will make him leave my lap, as often as not. But on the
other hand, I find his sneezes to be cute.