Indoor cat figured out doggie door

Old April 14th 04, 10:13 PM
Tom Meter

Default Indoor cat figured out doggie door

Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

Old April 14th 04, 11:12 PM
Karen

"Tom Meter" wrote in message
om...
Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign

of
the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her

and
keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

Well, you could try that. From what I hear, once they figure out the doors,
it's pretty hard though. Do the dogs *have* to have free access?

Karen

Old April 14th 04, 11:13 PM
Karen

"Karen" wrote in message

"Tom Meter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Or, here's another thought. Can you cat proof your backyard?
www.catfencein.com

Karen

Old April 15th 04, 09:58 AM
Kristine Kochanski

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:13:46 GMT, "Tom Meter"
wrote:

Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an over-sized
catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds best,
though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog out
2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

Old April 15th 04, 10:02 AM
Why doesWAcky WEEniE kEEps saYin

Put your cat in one of your rooms so it won't get out & take that door
off it;s hinges & put another door in it's place with out the door flap.
Plain & simple but may be costly. Other wise though you might loose your
cat and it'll happen each time you get another cat. Neer heard of somone
who owns a cat to make it easy for their cat to go outside Not if they
want to keep their cat safe inside their own house. Of course that'll
men you'll have to get off your butt to let your dog or dogs outside &
back in but life for you will go on but life for your cats won't-if you
don't

Old April 15th 04, 08:35 PM
Alison

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an

over-sized
catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds

best,
though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog

out
2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
Alison

Old April 15th 04, 09:00 PM
Tom Meter

"Alison" wrote in message

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an

over-sized
catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds

best,
though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog

out
2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
Alison

We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see how a
fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).

Old April 15th 04, 10:21 PM
Tom Meter

Listen2Dah_L00nEYbird_Coz_Dah_L00nEyBirdZ_ME@webt v.net wrote in message
Put your cat in one of your rooms so it won't get out & take that door
off it;s hinges & put another door in it's place with out the door flap.
Plain & simple but may be costly. Other wise though you might loose your
cat and it'll happen each time you get another cat. Neer heard of somone
who owns a cat to make it easy for their cat to go outside Not if they
want to keep their cat safe inside their own house. Of course that'll
men you'll have to get off your butt to let your dog or dogs outside &
back in but life for you will go on but life for your cats won't-if you
don't

Wow, I thought this was a somewhat cordial group. Didn't know I was going to
get nasty remarks when I was merely asking a question about keeping my cat
inside. Just for your edification I happen to walk my dogs twice a day every
day, at 6:00 AM and 5:00 PM. I've been doing this every day for 10 years.
They are older dogs so the need to go outside at odd times. Sometimes they
need to go out at 11:00 at night. Maybe you need to get off your butt and
read a book because not everyone in the world has the same needs as you.

Geez. Some people.

Old April 15th 04, 10:50 PM
Karen

"Tom Meter" wrote in message
. com...

Again see www.catfencein.com

Old April 15th 04, 11:24 PM
Why doesWAcky WEEniE kEEps saYin

I wasn't trying to be nasty or sarcastic. I also have to take my dogs
out. If you're worried abut your cat taking off & not coming back home
like your other cats did. Wouldn't it make sense to you to fix it s your
cat can't get out? The only way I can think of is to put a different
door in with out a doggie door. In the mean time sense your original
door will be off it's hinges making it easy for your cat or dog to get
out. I thought it would be wise to confine [ especially your cat] in
another room until you put your new door in. Naturally the new door has
to bought & right next to you so it caN be done right away. Where I
live 3 families lost their cats. One was my daughter inlaw because she
didn't bother having them fixed. She actually had 3 males. Only one male
kept coming back home. Finally she smarted up & had him fixed the other
person had a male cat that was fixed & it still disappeared. If your cat
is getting out by using that door. Don't you think the door should be
changed for a different one? I wasn't trying to be snotty or anything
like that. Too many cats & dogs disappear.