Sabrina's progress

Old August 1st 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Sabrina's progress

Singh wrote:

I'll pick her up and she'll cuddle into my
neck, purr good and loud and stay awhile and knead the bezongas.
(Always, ALWAYS the bezongas! Brandy did it the first week and still
does on occasion, Stosh includes them in his evening massage ritual, and
now Sabrina. What IS it with that part of the female anatomy?!)

They're *mammals* - they recognize *mammaries*. (The similarity of
those two words is not a coincidence!)

She sounds like a real sweetie. You and Louie are heroes for rescuing her
and taking her in.

Joyce
Old August 1st 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Singh wrote:

They're *mammals* - they recognize *mammaries*. (The similarity of
those two words is not a coincidence!)

I've thought about that, but I've never used them for, um, their
biologically intended purpose. I understand a mammal's young'un can
recognize by smell that they're the food source. I wonder if cats
can nonetheless figure out what they're for, even though they're out
of service!

My cats go right for mine, too, and mine have never been milk dispensers
either. Maybe it's more a *feel* thing. Kittens find their way to the
nipple partly with their kneading, and it could be that the mammary gland
has a certain feeling that's similar in both humans and mom cats. But I
don't know for sure - I've never felt up a nursing female cat.

Good God...I sound like I'm talking about an old Ford that came off
the line missing a distributor cap!

I was thinking of a bus with "Out of Service" in the overhead sign where
the destination usually goes.

Joyce
Old August 1st 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Singh wrote:
Sabrina still will not relinquish my wool; I don't know why I'm
mentioning it, and why I even bother to call it my wool. She hissed at
Louie for picking her up off the pieces so he could straighten them out,
and in another part of the room pounced on an old washcloth the same
color as one of the pieces. I'm told she was miffed it wasn't the real
McCoy. She is more alert, now spends her time out of the closet
completely although still in the computer room, and more open to
attention. And she does want attention badly. It's like she'll come up
and be all loving and purring, and then cuss me out, like she's getting
defensive to keep from being hurt.

She so cuuute! You're mentioning the wool because cats getting an
attachment to objects is very cute. Integration will be fun too, I'm
sure.

Old August 1st 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Singh wrote:

[...]

Our cats are pretty much the same way. But they will settle for any nice
soft flesh to kneed if they have to. I sure meet their needs that way.

And if I'm not available, Charlie has a nice beer gut that will do in a
feline emergency.

I'd always heard this was common in cats that were taken from their mothers
too young. But now I'm not so sure. Jake was probably two and a half the
first time he tried it. And been trying to make up for lost time ever
since.

Jo

Old August 1st 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:
Singh wrote:

They're *mammals* - they recognize *mammaries*. (The similarity of
those two words is not a coincidence!)

I've thought about that, but I've never used them for, um, their
biologically intended purpose. I understand a mammal's young'un can
recognize by smell that they're the food source. I wonder if cats
can nonetheless figure out what they're for, even though they're out
of service!

My cats go right for mine, too, and mine have never been milk dispensers
either. Maybe it's more a *feel* thing. Kittens find their way to the
nipple partly with their kneading, and it could be that the mammary gland
has a certain feeling that's similar in both humans and mom cats. But I
don't know for sure - I've never felt up a nursing female cat.

Caliban does it too. It wasn't a problem when he was a kitten, but it's
getting a bit embarrassing now that he is a big boy and I have to
support him with my arms so he can lay on my chest. He refuses to lay in
my lap, always has to get right up on the body parts in question.
Sometimes he solves the problem by hanging over my shoulder.

The newest thing is to lay on my chest during the night. So nice to wake
up in the middle of the night, gasping for air, as a furry five-kilo (11
lbs) weight settles on your chest. Hot, too. ;o)

Stories and pics at
http://koti.welho.com/mkurten/
Old August 1st 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Singh wrote:
Sabrina now knows there are other cats, and seems to be interested; I'll
see her gravitating to to door, but hesitantly. When we tried to do a
supervised sniff-out with a screen at the door, Sabrina hissed and fled.
I'm not sure she's completely ready yet, not until she's a bit better
fed and is secure with me and Louie. Is a week or so too long, do you
think, before allowing the separated sniff-out? The others want to meet
her. No one is even acting defensive, aggressive or insecure. If
anything, they're like kids itching to meet a new neighbor, really
eager. I so hope that we can get the integration going smoothly. Sabrina
always inches closer and closer to the door, as if waiting for just the
right moment to surprise her new siblings. Louie just left the room and
Sabrina saw Brandy and cussed. I hope this is just a normal thing that
cats do...

It's just normal. Cats hardly ever accept a strange cat immediately.
Miranda hissed at Caliban for a week, then they became best friends. The
only cat I've known who wasn't aggressive towards strange cats was
Frank, the diplomat. He would always approach a new cat in a friendly
and interested manner. Unfortunately, he was mostly met with hissing and
posturing, but he hardly ever took offence. But every other cat I've
known acted defensive when meeting a new cat. Oh, Caliban is another
exception, since he mostly acts submissively.

Old August 1st 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Singh

She's gotten a little plumper, thank God. She's been eating like a truck
driver after a long haul, but then she's been through one.

Sabrina still will not relinquish my wool; I don't know why I'm
mentioning it, and why I even bother to call it my wool. She hissed at
Louie for picking her up off the pieces so he could straighten them out,
and in another part of the room pounced on an old washcloth the same
color as one of the pieces. I'm told she was miffed it wasn't the real
McCoy. She is more alert, now spends her time out of the closet
completely although still in the computer room, and more open to
attention. And she does want attention badly. It's like she'll come up
and be all loving and purring, and then cuss me out, like she's getting
defensive to keep from being hurt. Maybe she is. I would not doubt it,
after what happened to her these recent weeks. And yet, she's as starved
for affection as for food. I'll pick her up and she'll cuddle into my
neck, purr good and loud and stay awhile and knead the bezongas.
(Always, ALWAYS the bezongas! Brandy did it the first week and still
does on occasion, Stosh includes them in his evening massage ritual, and
now Sabrina. What IS it with that part of the female anatomy?!)

I'm so glad we caught her when we did. Our temperature is supposed to be
obscenely high by any region's standards, especially Buffalo. She might
not have made it, given how dehydrated she was.

[...]

Blessed be,
Baha

Old August 1st 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Singh wrote:
She's gotten a little plumper, thank God. She's been eating like a truck
driver after a long haul, but then she's been through one.

snip
[...]

Thank you for taking such good care of Sabrina. I'm sure she and the
other kitties will accept one another when the time comes.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek