Hardwood floor refinishing and cats?

Old April 13th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Shaynelle

Default Hardwood floor refinishing and cats?

We have two 17 yr old cats and we are getting our hardwood floors
refinished next week. We humans have to move into a hotel for about
3-5 days but we don't know what to do with our cats. The hotel doesn't
take animals, and we can't stay in another hotel due to expense (its a
military hotel and 1/4 the price of other hotels). It breaks my
heart to stick them in a kennel where they will be stressed the whole
time in the unfamiliar environment.

I don't want to keep them in the home, although we have considered
(since only the main floor is being redone) keeping them in our room
with all the windows open and a damp towel outside the bedroom door to
keep out the fumes. Since they are older they tend to sleep all day
on our bed anyway, so I know they will be more comfortable and less
stressed here than in a kennel. But I still am worried about the
fumes. I can't think of what on earth to do.

We would be visiting them twice a day in the house to feed them as
they eat a RAW diet and so we could cuddle with them and keep an eye
on the fumes in case they are stronger than expected in the bedroom.

Any advice or other suggestions?

Shaynelle

Old April 13th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Shaynelle" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have two 17 yr old cats and we are getting our hardwood floors
refinished next week. We humans have to move into a hotel for about
3-5 days but we don't know what to do with our cats. The hotel doesn't
take animals, and we can't stay in another hotel due to expense (its a
military hotel and 1/4 the price of other hotels). It breaks my
heart to stick them in a kennel where they will be stressed the whole
time in the unfamiliar environment.

Either find the money to stay in a place that will let you keep your cats
or board them. The fumes could kill them or make them very sick.
Extended Stay hotels charge $69 per night for stays less than a week,
and $49 for stays more than a week and they allow pets. They also
have a full kitchen where you can store and cook food, and every
one I have been to has been very clean.

If you can afford to have your floors refinished, you can come up with
a few hundred bucks for a hotel.

Old April 13th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"Shaynelle" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have two 17 yr old cats and we are getting our hardwood floors
refinished next week. We humans have to move into a hotel for about
3-5 days but we don't know what to do with our cats. The hotel doesn't
take animals, and we can't stay in another hotel due to expense (its a
military hotel and 1/4 the price of other hotels). ...
Shaynelle

I would not expose cats of any age to those fumes. If it is not safe for
you to stay in your house, it is not safe for them. It could even be worse
for them than for you.

If you are in the U.S., you can check around and find hotels in your area
that offer discounted rates to military and allow pets. Most of the Motel 6
chain motels take pets and cost less than the average price. I think it's
the Super 6 motels that have kitchenettes.

Otherwise, the cats would be better off being boarded for a few days. Some
places will let you pay half or a reduced price if your cats are close
enough friends to stay in the same cage.

If you don't think you can afford a motel that will take pets, maybe you can
board the cats and you stay with friends.

Annie

Old April 13th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Shaynelle

Wow, I have never received such a rude reply when asking for advice.
Why would you be so rude to someone asking for advice?

I am not in the US by the way, so hotels are not anywhere near what
you state, and you assume we are paying for the floors to be done then
verbally express anger about it. Not a very productive reply to
someone who was simply asking for advice. I hope others will not be
so rude in their replies

oups.com...

Old April 13th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Shaynelle

Thanks Annie,

It would work out a lot cheaper for us to board the cats and stay in
the military hotel, and I suppose that may be the best route to go. I
am just concerned about the stress involved in putting them in a
kennel. We are going to check a few kennels out this coming weekend
and hope to find one that either is cats only, or keeps the cats far
away from the dogs (my cats are really scared of larger dogs).

Has anyone else had to put their older cats in a kennel? How did the
cats react - were they really stressed out?

Thanks!

oups.com... We have two 17 yr old cats and we are getting our hardwood floors

Old April 13th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Shaynelle" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, I have never received such a rude reply when asking for advice.
Why would you be so rude to someone asking for advice?

There was nothing at all rude about my reply. I was simply direct.

I am not in the US by the way, so hotels are not anywhere near what
you state, and you assume we are paying for the floors to be done then
verbally express anger about it. Not a very productive reply to
someone who was simply asking for advice. I hope others will not be
so rude in their replies

What can anyone tell you except to board them or relent and pay
for a hotel that will let you keep them with you?

Do you imagine anyone will tell you to leave them in the house
where the fumes may very well make them very sick? Their
noses are a lot more sensitive than ours.

I think you need to learn the difference between someone telling
you a simple truth you just don't want to hear, and someone
being rude.

If someone else is paying to refinish your floors, them you are
likely renting or the army is paying for it. If so, they should pay
for a place for you to stay that includes pets, or for the boarding.

If not, cough it up. Spend the money making sure your cats are
happy and safe, and for heaven's sake don't leave them in the
place with dangerous fumes and workers who may or may not
let them out.

Old April 14th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Shaynelle" wrote in

I am not in the US by the way, so hotels are not anywhere near what
you state

Well, there are certainly plenty of hotels that allow pets where you live.

http://www.petfriendly.ca/rentals.php?id=4

Old April 14th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Shaynelle wrote:
[...]

Where exactly are you - in a big city or not? I know you're Canadian but
perhaps you're now posted overseas? In any case, I've always had good luck
over the years boarding my cats (both young & old) in a vet clinic - the best
would be a cat-only practice because mixed boarding with barking dogs can be
very stressful to cats not used to dogs. I'd guess cats could still smell
dogs in a kennel even when separated by rooms or floors.

Good luck.
M.

Old April 14th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote

Where exactly are you - in a big city or not?

She's in Winnipeg. And she had lots of good suggestions
last November.

Old April 14th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote in message
.. .

"mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote

Where exactly are you - in a big city or not?

She's in Winnipeg. And she had lots of good suggestions
last November.

Correction. Three days ago, I read the date wrong.

Three days ago others in Winnipeg made recommendations to her.