Spamming the Spammers...

Old May 24th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Default Spamming the Spammers...

Do you receive "Unsolicited Commercial Email" (UCE), also know as
"Spam"? On another Group I use, someone's got a wonderful idea.
He puts up a post "Gone Fishing - Please Ignore". The post
contains nothing but e-mail addresses for the spam-bots to
harvest. I might do that here, if no-one objects!

--
MatSav

Old May 24th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

Do you receive "Unsolicited Commercial Email" (UCE), also know as
"Spam"? On another Group I use, someone's got a wonderful idea.
He puts up a post "Gone Fishing - Please Ignore". The post
contains nothing but e-mail addresses for the spam-bots to
harvest. I might do that here, if no-one objects!

I don't understand the point. Why would he give email addresses to
spam bots??

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 24th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
Do you receive "Unsolicited Commercial Email" (UCE), also know as "Spam"?
On another Group I use, someone's got a wonderful idea. He puts up a post
"Gone Fishing - Please Ignore". The post contains nothing but e-mail
addresses for the spam-bots to harvest. I might do that here, if no-one
objects!

You will always get spam when you post on usenet. Do as I do, set up an
email address especially for your newsgroup posting, then visit it weekly
and delete everything.
I don't see how the gone fishing stuff would work. Is it meant to be some
sort of revenge?

Tweed

Old May 24th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

com wrote in message
Do you receive "Unsolicited Commercial Email" (UCE), also know as
"Spam"? On another Group I use, someone's got a wonderful idea. He
puts up a post "Gone Fishing - Please Ignore". The post contains
nothing but e-mail addresses for the spam-bots to harvest. I might
do that here, if no-one objects!

You will always get spam when you post on usenet. Do as I do, set up
an email address especially for your newsgroup posting, then visit it
weekly and delete everything.
I don't see how the gone fishing stuff would work. Is it meant to be
some sort of revenge?

The idea being that the spammer's addies would appear on Usenet and thereby
get spammed themselves. Back in the 'old days' this wasn't such a bad tactic
(particularly when everyone was on dial-up and you had to pay by the minute
of dial-up time plus phone call time to download nothing but spam). But now
with broadband, throwaway free e-mail addies and the ability to easily fake
the 'from' line, its less effective. Most spam these days wants you to visit
a web site, and those that don't want you to send an e-mail to an address
that does not match the 'from' address.

It might *feel* like revenge, but it won't in any way discourage them from
spamming. What would is if spamming stopped being an effective way of making
money. But, like PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute, and
whislt those suckers are still giving money to the spammers, it won't go
away.

Yowie

Old May 25th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

com wrote in message
[...]

Yes I remember very well when I was on dial up. I had an old computer too
then, which took ages to download anything, and I did get quite annoyed if I
had to pay per minute to download spam.
I could go down the garden, feed my ferrets, come back, make some toast for
lunch, eat it, and still would be downloading spam which I had to pay for.

Old May 25th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

If this is correct it is a very bad idea. No one is going to send spam
from a valid return address unless it is someone elses. If the addresses
were "honey pots" or special addresses used to identify spam _that_ would
be another story but randomly collected addresses from spam emails or
posts is a bad idea.

Andy

On the other hand, the a**holes who send their phishing scams generally
use a valid "reply-to" address. They might make good targets. They're
frequently cancelled by the providers very shortly after they go active,
but if you get the timing right you could cause some serious irritation
to the would-be scammer. Especially if the target address is on hotmail,
live.com, or yahoo, since they are so brain-dead that it's practically
impossible to report phishing scam e-mails to them.

Dan