HRFL Tiger rules the roost!

Old August 2nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default HRFL Tiger rules the roost!

I thought it might be the case, as I know the imperious catitude of
His Royal Feline Lordship Tiger.....

HRFL has trained Cara to get in her bed! I almost PMSL earlier. Cara
was sitting in the kitchen chewing a bone when HRFL marched in,
smacked her upside the bum and herded her into her bed!!!!! Once she
was sat there he sat in front of her and looked at her as if to say
"THAT'S where YOU belong!"

To be fair to Cara, she didn't murmer, she just did what the cat told
her to! She then sat in her bed and watched as Miss Lily Whiskers and
Robbie wandered around the kitchen and helped themselves to her
dinner! No aggression, no growling, nothing apart from a look of utter
resignation on her face!

She's knackered though. She spent this morning having a 2 hour walk
with Bonnie and swimming in the Taff river. Then we went for our first
one-on-one dog training class at Rockwood with Martin http://www.rockwoodanimals.com/
who gave her some basic obedience exercises. She seems very stiff and
a bit slow to react to things she is asked to do - not because she
doesn't want to, but because she's a bit older and her joints don't
work as well as a young dog. So instead of high energy things like
flyball, we're going to concentrate on basic agility for fun and some
basic obedience and things that she can find more easy.

I'm knackered too! I haven't been so busy for a long time!

Helen M

Old August 2nd 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Just stop this stuff right now, Helen. Clara (what happened to the
L?) is a middle-aged dog. Yes, okay she is a border collie and they can be
absolutely difficult with hyperactivity when they are young.
But she isn't young. Leave her alone, let her settle quietly into her new
home. There is no need at all to provide her with extra activities until she
shows from her behaviour that she needs it.
Maybe after whatever she's gone through just a nice warm home with a comfy
bed and a couple daily walks will suit her fine. Sometimes it's not
necessary to delve into the border collie psyche.

You might be over-doing it with the best reasons.

Tweed

Old August 2nd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Perhaps it takes a herding dog to fully understand (and respect) the
herding urge in another species? Or maybe Clara is just tired and
would like to pass on that task to someone else! Sounds like HRFL is
more than up for the job.

Joyce

PS - what is PMSL? I've gotten the "PM" part. Just wondering what
"SL" is. Slacks Longies? Short Lederhosen (dept of redundancy dept)?

PMSL = Pee MySelf laughing. And yes, HRFL is certainly up for the
job. Cara was lying by my feet when I was watching TV and he walked
up to her and herded her back to her bed!! I'm very lucky she seems so
biddable.

Helen M

Old August 2nd 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Just stop this stuff right now, Helen. Clara (what happened to the
L?) is a middle-aged dog. Yes, okay she is a border collie and they can be
absolutely difficult with hyperactivity when they are young.
But she isn't young. Leave her alone, let her settle quietly into her new
home. There is no need at all to provide her with extra activities until she
shows from her behaviour that she needs it.
Maybe after whatever she's gone through just a nice warm home with a comfy
bed and a couple daily walks will suit her fine. Sometimes it's not
necessary to delve into the border collie psyche.

You might be over-doing it with the best reasons.

Yes, I actually quite agree about the exercise and with what you told
me.

To be fair to me though, her 2 hour walk this morning was done at a
fairly slow pace with her on the lead a lot of the time and we only
covered about 1.5 miles in total. Most of the 2 hours was spend
throwing sticks into the river for Bonnie to wear *her* out while Cara
watched on the river bank. Bonnie is used to covering 6 miles+ a day
and is a very fit collie X and so I have to run her ragged and wear
her out when I walk her!

And our training session this afternoon was purely an *assessment* so
that I could work on recall and basic commands while someone watched
my body language with her and corrected *me* when I was giving
commands. ) I didn't realise how much I was giving conflicting
signals to Cara until it was seen by someone who knew what they were
looking at. And I've dropped the "L" because I find "Cara" trips off
the tounge better and she seems to respond easier to it. )

Phots will be en-route soon. )

Helen M

Old August 2nd 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

So is it Clara or Cara? Both are nice names.

Joyce

We've settled on "Cara" as I find it trips easier off the tounge. She
also seems to respond better to it.

Helen m

Old August 3rd 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 2, 6:51 pm, wrote:
So is it Clara or Cara? Both are nice names.

Joyce

We've settled on "Cara" as I find it trips easier off the tounge. She
also seems to respond better to it.

Helen m

One too many syllables.

Just being a traditionalist nit.

Will

--

"Pot-Limit has more thinking involved; young people can't think" Norm
Chad

Old August 3rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I will look forward to the photos. We need to talk again about Clara. Of
course that is not her real name and it will be a while until she answers to
this new one.
I would hate it if someone decided my name was Louise, or Catherine or any
other name that wasn't mine.
As it is, if someone mentions my name I am alert. How awful if I was a lost
cat and someone decided on a different name for me. If I was called inside
I would take no notice, and yes, I believe cats know their names from
constant repetition.

Tweed