Meercat Manor

Old September 11th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default Meercat Manor

Wow this series just started in Aus....it is brilliant. Unfortunately I
never get to see all of it as Master Four has a serious dinosaur fetish
going at the moment, and insists he will die if he doesn't watch this show
that's on at the same time, different channel with some silly prat
pretending he's going back in time to rescue dinosaurs in incredibly
impractical and un-realistic ways. I keep hoping he will get eaten, but he
never does.

"The Polish-Kraut" wrote in message
news

This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.

Here they are on the shows companion web-site

http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6

Hey, that is a GREAT web site! Just what I needed, another reason
to blow off work!

I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat

Here is a good page from the site above that tells you a bit about
their individual personalities and gives you a glimpse of how the
narrator/story writer presents them:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites...meet/meet.html

Also, they are WAYYYY cuter moving. They move FAST
and their faces and eyes are so expressive.

When they run their tails stick straight in the air also. They look
like they should have one of these little orange flags tied on it.
:-)

The DVD of the first should be out pretty soon for anyone interested.
I think I shall order it.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old September 12th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BT1971 via CatKB.com

There must be a lot of dorks out there (Me included) because I read
somewhere that Meerkat is on of their most popular shows along with
Animal Cops.

You can include me in that catagory. My cat actually seems to like the show
too. She doesn't actually pay much attention to the picture, more to the
sounds.

She also seems to like Stargate...Can't figure that one out.

regards

Old September 30th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?

I keep cackling madly.

They are sooooo cute!

I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
rerun.

-L.

Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
IMNSHO!

I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
on right now. They are adorable.

It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.

Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
group.

Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(

Old September 30th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"The Polish-Kraut" wrote
Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(

Yes, I feel the same way. But I think the writers do a good job of
keeping the melodrama out of it, and conveying that these losses
are just part of life in the wild. (They have to be careful, because
they "humanize" the meercats with these names, and tales of
"romance" etc., then the fate that awaits a certain number of them
befalls them, and the writers have created a bad situation:
making you love a character then killing them off!)

I LOVE the way they do the roaming males sneaking up on the
females of the other tribe. That music, and those little heads popping
up, then ducking down as they scurry closer.

It'a great show.

Old October 3rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

The Polish-Kraut wrote:

[...]

I was sad too. I don't think they will turn up later--I noticed that
neither Shakespeare nor Tosca are in the opening credits this season,
whereas Mozart still is, as well as Youssarian. What I was hoping is
that Shakespeare might have teamed up with Tosca and maybe Carlos, but
unless they left the whole territory, the cameras should have captured
that. My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
don't know if I believe that.
-yngver

Old October 3rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"yngver" wrote in message
oups.com...

My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
don't know if I believe that.
-yngver

OMG! This never occurred to me, and it is probably true.

For some reason, Shakespeare stole my heart too. Maybe
because he got bitten by the snake, survived, then disappeared
while protecting the babies.

Old October 3rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

cybercat wrote:
"yngver" wrote in message
oups.com...

My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
don't know if I believe that.
-yngver

OMG! This never occurred to me, and it is probably true.

For some reason, Shakespeare stole my heart too. Maybe
because he got bitten by the snake, survived, then disappeared
while protecting the babies.

You know, I looked at the Animal Planet Web site for Meerkat Manor, and
they have a poll where you can vote for your favorite meerkcat. By far
everyone's favorite is Shakespeare! (I voted for him too!) I suppose
because he nearly died after being bitten--again, he was the brave one
and tried to oust the snake--and he was brave trying to defend the
burrow against the Lazuli. Anyway, none of the other meerkats have
anywhere near as many votes.

If this were a scripted tv show, then Shakespeare would be back
mid-season, you know? But unfortunately it's not, so I just think he
disappeared and is probably dead, just as they said. They have a lot of
cameras but if he got dragged off into the bush by some of the Lazuli,
what happened must not have been filmed.

Regardless, this has become such a popular show because of the way it
is written--they have personified the meerkats and are really good at
creating suspense about what will happen next! I am still sort of mad
at Youssarian for letting the one pup die, but if he is able to become
the dominant male in the Lazuli group, well, that should be pretty
interesting.
-yngver
-yngver

Old October 4th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"yngver" wrote
You know, I looked at the Animal Planet Web site for Meerkat Manor, and
they have a poll where you can vote for your favorite meerkcat. By far
everyone's favorite is Shakespeare! (I voted for him too!) I suppose
because he nearly died after being bitten--again, he was the brave one
and tried to oust the snake--and he was brave trying to defend the
burrow against the Lazuli. Anyway, none of the other meerkats have
anywhere near as many votes.

I did not know that, cool.

If this were a scripted tv show, then Shakespeare would be back
mid-season, you know? But unfortunately it's not, so I just think he
disappeared and is probably dead, just as they said. They have a lot of
cameras but if he got dragged off into the bush by some of the Lazuli,
what happened must not have been filmed.

Yes, I wonder. I assume he was killed. But would they drag him off
like that? I started watching late, were there any other instances of
meercats killed in "battle?"

Regardless, this has become such a popular show because of the way it
is written--they have personified the meerkats and are really good at
creating suspense about what will happen next!

Yes. It is SO hilarious when the males sneak up on the females, and
when they all "attack" with that ridiculous gallop, tails held high! Did
you realize they are a foot and a half tall when they stand? The babies
are two inches long!

I am still sort of mad
at Youssarian for letting the one pup die, but if he is able to become
the dominant male in the Lazuli group, well, that should be pretty
interesting.

Youssaran clearly has some judgment problems!

Old October 4th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

[...]

I think when you spend as much time with them as they do recording
them that you would get to know most of them and be able to tell them
apart from each other kind of like a person who has a lot of cats.
IMHO

Old October 4th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 20:18:20 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"yngver" wrote
[...]

I am dying to see this program. Season 1 will be out on DVD on Oct.
9. I am going to order it as soon as it is available.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in my 3d world slum...

Charlie