Use common sense people !! If the cat sick take it to the vet !!

Old October 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

Default Use common sense people !! If the cat sick take it to the vet !!

Use common sense people !! If cat sick take it to the vet.

If your human child were sick would you go ask a stranger on the street what
to do or post your question in a newsgroup about kids ?!?!?!?

If you can not afford health care for it then maybe it is time to think about
surrendering it to someone who can and will !!

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

Old October 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mathieu Paquette

If my child is a bit feverish but it doesn't seem bad, yes I'll ask the
people around me, at work, friends, whatever, if they encountered that
situation and how to help relieve it.

Then if they don't, then I'll take him to the doc.

So I fail to see what your point is. The Internet is an online
community, where people ask question to peers who live situations
similar to theirs (in this case, people who have cats that are or have
been sick), and get answer from other people's experience.

By your reasoning, we should keep our experiences to ourselves and not
share it, and we shouldn't try to learn from other people's experience ?
Should I go home tonight, start the stove, and put my hand on it to
experience it firsthand, know it's hot and burn myself, or take the
words of my sister who did it by accident a few years ago and believe
her it's not a good idea ?

Old October 6th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

The Polish-Kraut wrote:
Use common sense people !! If cat sick take it to the vet.

If your human child were sick would you go ask a stranger on the street what
to do or post your question in a newsgroup about kids ?!?!?!?

If you can not afford health care for it then maybe it is time to think about
surrendering it to someone who can and will !!

I think that the point that is being made is that one should not
delay taking a cat to the vet, in the hopes of getting a
cheaper answer here. Cats, as small animals, are as
vulnerable as human babies, not as resilient as older
children are.

I would certainly hope that if your baby were sick, you
would not waste valuable time posting to a newsgroup
and waiting an average of twelve hours to get a response
and then, finally decide it might be worth a trip to the
Emergency Room. Especially when the only reliable
advice one can give regarding illness on a newsgroup
is to go get it check out at the appropriate facilities.
A diagnosis can never be made without a proper
physical exam.

--tension

Old October 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

The Polish-Kraut wrote:

Use common sense people !! If cat sick take it to the vet.

If your human child were sick would you go ask a stranger on the street what
to do or post your question in a newsgroup about kids ?!?!?!?

If you can not afford health care for it then maybe it is time to think about
surrendering it to someone who can and will !!

How did this creep escape from my kill-file? (rePLONK!)

Old October 6th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gracecat

"tension_on_the_wire" wrote in message
ups.com...

The Polish-Kraut wrote:
[...]

There is that, and there is a sense of been there done that. I recall a
couple times that a stomach virus would go around in my child's daycare.
Several of the mothers would let others know. There was nothing that the
doctor could do other than prescribe rest and fluids. Sometimes if judging
from experience I knew she wasn't close to being dehydrated, despite what it
appeared, I'd save her the trip of getting out and driving across town. And
start treatment on my own... keeping a close eye on her of course in case
she did start showing signs of being dehydrated.

It wasn't a newsgroup, but child care grapevine does much in the same way.

I agree though, severe unusual symptoms deserve a vet.

Grace
who has a vet tale now that she thinks about it.

Old October 6th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Oh, fooey!! I just erased the reference post and I have already typed
this one, so I'm stuck posting it without reference...sorry!! This is
professional immediately based on using good judgment.....
I apologize in advance, it turned somewhat into an unintended
rant, I'm afraid.

Well, hopefully that (not running to the doc or vet for every little
illness) is a matter of common sense....but what we are
talking about here is when you do *not* know what is going on,
otherwise the question of asking advice on a newsgroup would not
come up. Any good parent or meowmie will use their own good
judgement about an illness and not take it to a professional
unnecessarily...and I am in no way suggesting that they should.

I can vouch for the frustrations of medics with patients and
parents who do not use common sense, and show up in the ER
complaining of a "bent leg" at 2:00 am, only to inform the staff
after questioning, that it has been that way all one's life. Yes,
I did actually get such a case. And many many more.

Clearly experience is the most important thing when parenting,
or meowmieing and trying to decide how significant any symptoms
are. And whether or not they merit professional attention.

But the question of when to go to a professional should *not* be
mitigated by ..."maybe I'll ask the newsgroup and wait for an answer
while the cat, or baby, for that matter, gets sicker and sicker, and
while I do nothing for it but wait for a solution that will save me
some dollars at the (scurrilious, all-for-what-he-can-get,
money-grubbing, doesn't-care-about-the-patient) vet, or doc". That is
the main point I am trying to make because I am noticing...much
more on the human newsgroups, not really on this one, a strong
tendency with a large contingent of agreement, that it is becoming
totally acceptable to make this assumption about docs and vets
as a sweeping generalization and I must say....I think that attitude
is not fair, not reflective of most practitioners, and very
discouraging to those of us that practice in the profession for the
reasons that we passionately love our patients and want to do the
best we can by them. There are bad apples in every profession,
but in ours they are more visible than most, and they have
tainted the whole profession by association. But there is not
a damn thing we can do about them if they don't actually
commit malpractice, so we are stuck with them...and then
the real world is stuck, once again, using their own good
judgment when choosing their practitioner. But many
people don't want that responsibility, it is easier for them
to just blame the whole profession for turning out that
particular gold-digger onto the unsuspecting public.

All my years in practice did not prepare me for the onslaught of that
attitude here in the newsgroups. Really, for the most part, this cat
group is a notable exception, thank God, which is why I don't mind
people knowing what I do in real life here. I have to guard it
out there, like one of the Masonic Secrets, to avoid an onslaught
of abuse. I have been referred to as a troll, or "one of those
AMA-types" more times than I care to remember by people who
did not feel that they got their money's worth out of some poor
schlepp somewhere and thought of me as a good opportunity
to get their pound of flesh.

And I am not even a member of the AMA, as are, in fact, very few
of my colleagues that I know personally. I must say I am more glad
than ever that the specialty I chose is one of patients that can
never be held responsible for their illnesses, or their attitudes
(Pediatrics, Adolescent Medicine, and ICU/Trauma) or it would be
difficult not to develop the attitude towards my patients that I am
constantly being accused of having! It's a bit of a self-fulfilling
prophecy, that, if only patients knew...the more they display that
attitude, the more resentful MDs become and the more likely they
are to transform into that image that everyone seems to believe in
so heartily.

Well!!! I certainly didn't intend to inflict you all with
*that* rant, for which I apologize, but I suspect this is
the only safe place to do it!

--tension (who believes in having patience with patients!)

Old October 7th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

tension_on_the_wire wrote:
Oh, fooey!! I just erased the reference post and I have already typed
this one, so I'm stuck posting it without reference...sorry!! This is
professional immediately based on using good judgment.....
I apologize in advance, it turned somewhat into an unintended
rant, I'm afraid.

(snippage)
--tension (who believes in having patience with patients!)

I understand what you mean. My only request would be to eliminate all the
cross-posted groups because you *know* it was a troll from one of the
*OTHER* ng's. I'm fresh out of new recipes at the moment

Jill

Old October 7th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dewi

I use Google Groups and I don't think it has a kill-file
Dewi.

Old October 7th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Adrian A

Dewi wrote:
I use Google Groups and I don't think it has a kill-file
Dewi.

A good reason to explore the alternatives if Google doesn't suit you.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old October 7th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmcquown

Adrian A wrote:
Dewi wrote:
I use Google Groups and I don't think it has a kill-file
Dewi.

A good reason to explore the alternatives if Google doesn't suit you.

Or a good reason to just delete the cross-posted ng's before you hit Send,
if in fact you feel you absolutely HAVE to reply to this sort of drivel.

Jill