Shamrock's poor skin condition

Old December 28th 03, 01:56 AM
Cheryl

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote in
on 27 Dec 2003:

But if a second generation one is not possible, and since vets have
said it would be OK, then there's no harm in at least trying the
Clortrimeton.

Thanks Rona. In more reading, I'm seeing that antihistamines used along
with cortiosteroids are the way to go. I just ordered some Chlortrimaton
and will have to call the vet about dosage and recommendation for the two
combined. She mentioned putting him on oral steroids (geez, I have
hundreds of pred tabs since I order in bulk for Shadow). The things
mentioned on this page
(http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_itch_relief.html) have mostly been
tried. He actually doesn't mind baths and the colloidal oatmeal baths help
for a few days but in the winter time I am not going to bathe him. I've
been treating the "hot spots" with a topical hydrocortisone while it isn't
seeping yet and only itchy red bumps. Poor cat is just miserable itchy
most of the time. The shots really do work but I just want to find
something else; besides... I have to take him in every month for a shot.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller
Old December 28th 03, 02:02 AM
Cheryl

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote in on
27 Dec 2003:

"If you are seeing skin disease associated with the allergy and not
digestive signs, it may be possible to relieve the symptoms using a
combination of anti-histamine and essential fatty acid administration

I forgot to mention that I give him salmon oil nightly. He doesn't eat
much dry food at all but Wellness dry (which he eats only a couple of
mouthfuls a day) has flax seed (a good source of EFAs) but I'm reading
conflicting reports about the bioavailabilty of nutrients that don't come
from animal sources. That is why I suppliment with salmon oil.

Old December 28th 03, 09:09 AM
-L.

Cheryl wrote in message ...
MaryL wrote in on 27 Dec 2003:

I have never used chlortrimeton for cats, but at one time I used it
for myself. I discontinued it because it made me very drowsy, and I
also frequently had very dry mouth while I was using it (both side
effects that are described in your note) and extremely dry nasal
passages. I didn't have any other problems. Bitterness was not a
problem because it was in pill form.

I used to use it myself for allergies and remember the same side effect you
describe. I have "outgrown" my own allergies from my childhood and wonder
if Shamrock can, also. I am watching him right now pulling his fur out.
It is always in the same places so the description of mast cell tumors
certainly seems to fit.

Can they do a needle biopsy for mast cell tumors? If so, it might be
worth it, to get a diagnosis.

I think it is time for something drastic because he
can't live like this.

It is worth a try. FWIW, Chlortrimetron is one of the only
antihistamines that DOESN'T give me side effects. Like for all drugs,
each patient is different!

Best wishes to your poor little guy!

-L.

Old December 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Cheryl

-L. wrote in m on 28 Dec
2003:

Can they do a needle biopsy for mast cell tumors? If so, it might be
worth it, to get a diagnosis.

It was discussed but the vet felt that depo shots were the way to treat it
and didn't feel it was really necessary to have a firm diagnosis. She
diagnosed EGC and is pretty sure a biopsy would say the same thing. If it
didn't respond to steroids then the possibility of biopsy will come up. If
she's agreeable I'd like to try the antihistamines before another expensive
diagnostic test. Her last opinion on this was "it can't hurt".

Best wishes to your poor little guy!

Thanks Lyn. I feel so bad for him when he gets itchy like this and I can't
do much else. After the holidays I'm going to have my carpets
professionally cleaned and see if that helps some.

--
Cheryl

Old December 28th 03, 05:57 PM

Cheryl wrote:

Thanks Lyn. I feel so bad for him when he gets itchy like this and I can't
do much else. After the holidays I'm going to have my carpets
professionally cleaned and see if that helps some.

I think the problem with carpet cleaning is the type of detergent
used. Why not rent a steam cleaner and use only hot water to see if
that helps by removing any old detergent residue.

-mhd

Old December 28th 03, 10:53 PM
Cheryl

wrote in on 28 Dec
2003:

Cheryl wrote:

Thanks Lyn. I feel so bad for him when he gets itchy like this and I
can't do much else. After the holidays I'm going to have my carpets
professionally cleaned and see if that helps some.

I think the problem with carpet cleaning is the type of detergent
used. Why not rent a steam cleaner and use only hot water to see if
that helps by removing any old detergent residue.

-mhd

I was planning to find one with "hypoallergenic" cleaners if there is such
a thing. Good suggestion; I will try your idea.