What to do With Old Cat Litter?

Old April 8th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Smartin

Default What to do With Old Cat Litter?

Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

We have four boxes and use clumping litter with sifting pan liners.
Every week we sift out the clumpy bits, add a generous sprinkle of
deodorizer to the box, and top off with a little fresh litter.

This works great for quite some time, but eventually the deodorizer
makes the litter quite dusty, and I suspect there is an accumulation of
odor I do not detect but the kitties do.

So, it's time to change out all the little boxes! Aside from paying the
rubbish hauler to take away many pounds of smelly litter, is there
anything useful I could do with it? Maybe in the compost, or the garden?
Make a pinata for bad kids?

--
Smartin
Old April 9th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck

Smartin wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

We have four boxes and use clumping litter with sifting pan liners.
Every week we sift out the clumpy bits, add a generous sprinkle of
deodorizer to the box, and top off with a little fresh litter.

This works great for quite some time, but eventually the deodorizer
makes the litter quite dusty, and I suspect there is an accumulation of
odor I do not detect but the kitties do.

So, it's time to change out all the little boxes! Aside from paying the
rubbish hauler to take away many pounds of smelly litter, is there
anything useful I could do with it? Maybe in the compost, or the garden?
Make a pinata for bad kids?

Is your litter clay based?

If so, you can simply disperse it in a forested area near your home...
this way the clay returns to nature instead of clogging up a landfill.

Don't make a huge pile of the stuff, but rather spread it about.

Other than that, because it is used and smelly I cannot see another use
for it.
Old April 9th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Smartin" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

We have four boxes and use clumping litter with sifting pan liners. Every
week we sift out the clumpy bits, add a generous sprinkle of deodorizer to
the box, and top off with a little fresh litter.

This works great for quite some time, but eventually the deodorizer makes
the litter quite dusty, and I suspect there is an accumulation of odor I
do not detect but the kitties do.

So, it's time to change out all the little boxes! Aside from paying the
rubbish hauler to take away many pounds of smelly litter, is there
anything useful I could do with it? Maybe in the compost, or the garden?
Make a pinata for bad kids?

--
Smartin

Do *not* use it in your garden. Vegetables should not be grown in cat
litter, and the litter would serve as an attractant to other cats that would
dig in the soil (which you probably would not like, even in a flower bed).
If you have a field or wooded area, you could spread it lightly over the
area -- but I think your best option would be to simply dispose of it with
your trash.

MaryL

Old April 9th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 8, 5:52?pm, Smartin wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

Got any enemies...?

IBen Getiner

Old April 9th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

"Smartin" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

We have four boxes and use clumping litter with sifting pan liners. Every
week we sift out the clumpy bits, add a generous sprinkle of deodorizer to
the box, and top off with a little fresh litter.

This works great for quite some time, but eventually the deodorizer makes
the litter quite dusty, and I suspect there is an accumulation of odor I
do not detect but the kitties do.

So, it's time to change out all the little boxes! Aside from paying the
rubbish hauler to take away many pounds of smelly litter, is there
anything useful I could do with it? Maybe in the compost, or the garden?
Make a pinata for bad kids?

--
Smartin

Is it expensive to just throw it out? I do it about every 3 months, I put
each box in a large garbage bag (I have 4 large litter boxes), litter and
all - I usually triple bag each one, and just leave it with my regular
trash, but there is no cost for me

Old April 9th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Same here. I just throw out my litter every couple of days. I keep a double
lined plastic bag next to litter box which I clean out 3 to 4 times a day and
then every couple of days I just take that out to the trash with my regular
garbage. I go through a 14 lb. box of Fresh Step every other week.

Moongal wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has creative ideas for what to do with old cat
litter that has been reused for months on end...

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

Old April 9th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 9 Apr, 00:40, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Smartin" wrote in message

[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Us Uk'ers ( BRITS) have got to think of a solution fairly smartly,
because in the very near future we expect to be charged by kilo of
waste that we dispose of.
In my area there is a pilot scheme starting quite soon, & we are very
concerned about how we are going to get around this exact problem...

As you can imagine, we are very worride about this, because there are
a lot of families who simply can't afford to pay for cat litter to be
disposed of in the conventional way. There are those that would say
that this is all part of being a responsible cat owner, but there are
others who would argue that when they got their pet cat, that this was
never a problem that they anticipated, which is quite true!

Our biggest concern is that People will simply dump it any old where,
because of the expense involved.

How do we get around this problem?
S;o)

Old April 9th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:22:58 GMT, "Moongal"
wrote:

Is it expensive to just throw it out? I do it about every 3 months, I
put each box in a large garbage bag (I have 4 large litter boxes),
litter and all - I usually triple bag each one, and just leave it with
my regular trash, but there is no cost for me

The "cost" for disposing of cat litter is the space it takes up in the
landfills. Finding alternate means of disposal is a very good idea for
everyone. Even better, use something that can be recycled, like pine
pellets, newspaper based litter, or wheat based litter, which can be
composted after use.

--
Lynne
Old April 9th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennifer

On Apr 9, 7:19 am, Lynne wrote:
The "cost" for disposing of cat litter is the space it takes up in the
landfills. Finding alternate means of disposal is a very good idea for
everyone. Even better, use something that can be recycled, like pine
pellets, newspaper based litter, or wheat based litter, which can be
composted after use.

Of course, composting litter is not exactly easy in some areas. A
decent-sized composter, one big enough to handle loads of cat litter,
takes up a pretty decent amount of space. Plus, it takes time for all
that to break down, and when I was doing it, we were generating too
much cat litter for the (large) composter to keep up even with
frequent turning and watering, especially in the winter. After three
months, there was more cat litter than grass clippings, leaves, and
kitchen scraps. Even when the litter looks like it's done composting,
to be safe, you still shouldn't use it on vegetables because you can't
guarantee that the bits of mixed-in feces got hot enough to kill all
the microorganisms.

There is another benefit to using the natural materials litters
though, besides being healthier for your cats and better for the
environment. They are much, much lighter; at least the wheat and pine
ones are. So, if you're getting charged per kilo of waste, you'll
save money by using the lighter material. Note also that some of them
are flushable. I know Swheat Scoop is. So, you're generating less
poundage (kilo-age? just from the stuff you can flush instead of
bag.

--
Jennifer

Old April 9th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:26:15 GMT, "Jennifer" wrote:

Of course, composting litter is not exactly easy in some areas. A
decent-sized composter, one big enough to handle loads of cat litter,
takes up a pretty decent amount of space. Plus, it takes time for all
that to break down, and when I was doing it, we were generating too
much cat litter for the (large) composter to keep up even with
frequent turning and watering, especially in the winter. After three
months, there was more cat litter than grass clippings, leaves, and
kitchen scraps. Even when the litter looks like it's done composting,
to be safe, you still shouldn't use it on vegetables because you can't
guarantee that the bits of mixed-in feces got hot enough to kill all
the microorganisms.

I have no problem using composted pine cat litter in planting beds, but I
*definitely* would not use it on a vegetable garden. I haven't had one
in a while, but am planting one here again this year. I may do a second
compost pile just for the vegetable garden, with no cat litter/sawdust.

With just two cats, I don't have too much sawdust to compost. I also
have a place I can just spread it (on my property), if for some reason I
don't want to compost it all. I wonder if there would be any businesses
interested in having the sawdust for recycling? There's a paper shredder
company here who will shred your documents for free (while you watch for
the untrusting types) and they sell the shredded paper for manufacturing
something-or-other. Win-win.

--
Lynne