OT. Spammers are sending ou mails in my name.

Old June 13th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default OT. Spammers are sending ou mails in my name.

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

Old June 13th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my
address box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?"
like I got supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

Happens all the time tweed usually it is from some service that you signed
up for free and they sell your name. I get mail from a forged header that
has my email that is why I set up a spam email that I use to sign up for
anything

Old June 13th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my
address box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as
stone?" like I got supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

Once they have your address there's nothing you can do about it. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 13th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:33:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

There are two ways that can happen.

If your PC gets infected, it can send e-mails out under your name to
addresses in your address book. The only way to prevent or fix this is to
run a good virus scanner regularly.

The other way is that some malevolent idiot decides to send out SPAM with
your name and e-mail address in the "From:" field. There is absolutely no
way to prevent that, and nothing effective you can do once it happens. The
only way to reduce the likelihood of this happening to you is to never
send e-mails, post Usenet messages, contribute to web-based forums, or
fill out any web-based forms that ask for your e-mail address. This, of
course, would render your PC basically useless.

The good news is that most ISPs today know enough about forging e-mail
headers that they won't cut you off for spamming if you are a victim of
such activities.

Dan
Old June 13th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

The "return address" shown on a piece of spam may be yours,
but if you take a look at the full headers, it will show
where it really originated. Since the full headers are what
any anti-spam software considers before allowing it into the
recipient's In-Box, chances are none of us is likely to get
it. (But thanks for the warning.)

Tweed

Old June 13th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in
my address box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as
stone?" like I got supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

It means you have a friend who runs Windows and (like 99% of Windows
users) isn't enough of a geek to keep their machine secure. Their
machine got taken over by a virus/trojan/worm and pretended to be
yours when spamming people. (It can also be even more indirect than
that).

You can sometimes work out who the idiot was by finding who else got
the same message, or by looking carefully at the header to see which
machine really sent it.

It's got to the point where I try to avoid giving my email address
to people who use Outlook Express on Windows.

Old June 14th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:33:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my
address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I
got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

There are two ways that can happen.

If your PC gets infected, it can send e-mails out under your name to
addresses in your address book. The only way to prevent or fix this is to
run a good virus scanner regularly.

I run one continually, all incoming e-mails are scanned.

The other way is that some malevolent idiot decides to send out SPAM with
your name and e-mail address in the "From:" field. There is absolutely no
way to prevent that, and nothing effective you can do once it happens.

I guess this is what has happened then.

The
only way to reduce the likelihood of this happening to you is to never
send e-mails, post Usenet messages, contribute to web-based forums, or
fill out any web-based forms that ask for your e-mail address. This, of
course, would render your PC basically useless.

I think it comes from Usenet posting - I never even got spam until I used
the newsgroups.

The good news is that most ISPs today know enough about forging e-mail
headers that they won't cut you off for spamming if you are a victim of
such activities.

That's a relief.

Tweed

Old June 14th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jun 13, 2007, Christina Websell wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

Tweed

I think most people know enough by now not to trust the information displayed
in a short email header (or a post to a ng, for that matter) and wouldn't
blame you for something like that.

If anything, they might be concerned that you have a computer virus. I'm not
suggesting that you do (but please be sure your antivirus software is up to
date) but someone somewhere might have a virus and/or that way or some other
way your e-mail address got "harvested."

Posting to newsgroups regularly can expose you to harvesting... if you can
manage it, you should set up an e-mail address that you use only for
newsgroups (there are lots of free options out there; Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail)
so that if that address gets picked up by a spambot, you'll probably never
know about it. (Unless you check that maillbox.)

--
Remember: It is To Laugh

http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 14th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I think it comes from Usenet posting - I never even got spam until I used
the newsgroups.

I think you're right - I always got plenty in English (and
various oriental languages), but it was only after I began
posting to travel newsgroups that I started getting it in
Russian and Greek plus a score of languages that share our
alphabet. (I've been very interested to read that my
accounts with banks in countries I've never even visited
were in danger of being "suspended"!)
Old June 15th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop it? I dread to think if everyone in my address
box has received a mail saying "Is your c==k as hard as stone?" like I got
supposingly from myself.
I hope none of you have got one, if you have, it's not me.

The odds are that nobody else has seen this spam, or if they have it's
coming through to them with THEIR name in the 'from' field... it's not
like anyone will see it and say 'oh, Tweed's an evil spammer!' It's
pretty easy for a spammer to forge the header details including the
'from' information and to make it say whatever they want it to say.

Cats to help thwart net spammers Adrian A Cat anecdotes 4 March 10th 07 07:49 PM
e-mails Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 0 March 9th 06 01:39 AM
WARNING: Greg Robert Pet Supplies Sells Your Email Address to SPAMmers! Scott en Aztlán Cats - misc 2 September 28th 05 12:22 AM
RPCA Spammers can eat my asshole Zåçhårîåh Tôr||§kî Cat anecdotes 6 September 23rd 05 11:13 AM
RPCA Spammers can eat my asshole Zåçhårîåh Tôr||§kî Cat health & behaviour 6 September 23rd 05 11:13 AM