Today Eli was laying next to me on the floor when Lily started looking in the cat flap (to make sure Eli not around) so she could come in and have a bite to eat. Eli *always* attacks her. So I hid Eli Peace Talks

Old October 28th 05, 03:39 AM
Pat

Default Today Eli was laying next to me on the floor when Lily started looking in the cat flap (to make sure Eli not around) so she could come in and have a bite to eat. Eli *always* attacks her. So I hid Eli Peace Talks

Today Eli was laying next to me on the floor when Lily started looking in
the cat flap (to make sure Eli not around) so she could come in and have a
bite to eat. Eli *always* attacks her. So I hid Eli from her long enough to
get them both inside at once, so I could have a talk with them about their
fighting.

I locked the cat flap right after Lily came in but in that couple of seconds
they already started to fight. I whapped Eli and he scampered into the
bathroom cupboard. Meanwhile Lily ran under the bed to hide. I locked Eli in
the bathroom and dragged Lily, growling the whole time, out from under the
bed and carried her into the bathroom, where we all had a long talk.

I started off by apologizing to Eli for all the times I had punished him for
attacking Lily, and explained to Lily that it "takes two" and that When she
*expects* to be attacked, and goes on the defensive, runs away, etc. it is
an invitation that Eli cannot resist. I told her that just like Abelard
learned to act bored when Eli started challenging him, she too would have to
change her attitude, lose the fear, and calm down so we can have a peaceful
home again.

At first Lily would not take her face out of the crook of my arm and look at
Eli, or if I made her look at him, she'd pin her ears and start growling. I
just kept talking to the both of them and petting them, and calming Lily
down. Eli was very cool about the whole thing, he never growled, hissed or
acted the least bit threatening.

Although I had a lot of work waiting for me, I promised myself I would stay
there in the bathroom with these cats for however long it took for them to
make peace. And it did not take a long time. Within half an hour, Lily was
laying next to her dear Uncle Eli, with both of them purring. I stayed with
them for another five minutes or so and then let them go.

So far there have been no further fights, but if it does happen again we
will go through another round of peace talk in the bathroom, each and every
time until these two cats can co-exist without upsetting everyone else.

Old October 28th 05, 03:43 AM
Pat

I have no idea why my original subject line was replaced by the first
sentence of the message body here. It was supposed to say "The Peace Talk".

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
Although I had a lot of work waiting for me, I promised myself I would stay
there in the bathroom with these cats for however long it took for them to
make peace. And it did not take a long time. Within half an hour, Lily was
laying next to her dear Uncle Eli, with both of them purring. I stayed with
them for another five minutes or so and then let them go.

So far there have been no further fights, but if it does happen again we
will go through another round of peace talk in the bathroom, each and every
time until these two cats can co-exist without upsetting everyone else.

OMG, you made two enemy cats make up in half an hour!? I am not
worthy. I will nominate you for a Nobel prize.

Old October 28th 05, 05:11 AM
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

OMG, you made two enemy cats make up in half an hour!? I am not
worthy. I will nominate you for a Nobel prize.

Yeah, they could send me to the middle east or something, eh?

Old October 28th 05, 05:22 AM
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

OMG, you made two enemy cats make up in half an hour!?

Actually, they were great friends up until Abelard got to be blasé toward
Eli's attacks, and then Eli picked Lily as his new target of aggression.
And, I'm sure this truce is very temporary. We've all seen enemy cats being
nice to one another when both are very sleepy and content... haven't we? But
I do intend to enforce the truce as needed, and remind Lily of how to handle
Eli whenever she forgets.

Old October 28th 05, 05:23 AM

Pat wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote

OMG, you made two enemy cats make up in half an hour!? I am not
worthy. I will nominate you for a Nobel prize.

Yeah, they could send me to the middle east or something, eh?

It would be a cat walk for you

Old October 28th 05, 02:26 PM

Heh. Just like kids. I remember once my mom tied my wrist to my
sister's wrist with a single piece of sewing thread for a couple of
hours. Presumably it would make us stop fighting. (????) Wouldn't
recommend it though, specially not for cats!!

Sherry --- who loves my sister dearly now

Old October 28th 05, 03:46 PM
Jane

OMG, you made two enemy cats make up in half an hour!? I am not
worthy. I will nominate you for a Nobel prize.

Yeah, they could send me to the middle east or something, eh?

It would be a cat walk for you

I wonder if we could lock the leaders of two warring countries into
the bathroom together and feed them treats until they stop fighting.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old October 28th 05, 04:37 PM
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message
I have no idea why my original subject line was replaced by the first
sentence of the message body here. It was supposed to say "The Peace Talk".

Your method works so well with cats sometimes and we so often forget about
it. With many cats, you really can talk to them. Explain things to them.
And they do seem to get it. And like small children, sometimes it takes
more than once.

Jo

Old October 28th 05, 05:02 PM
Irulan

Bless you for your patience, Pat. We will purr and pray that things calm
down for both furries.
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--