Sudden cat death

Old August 14th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh via CatKB.com

Default Sudden cat death

saxrocco wrote:
Yes it was nice to get the pick of them. They are worth every penny £60 each
but they have had their vaccinations and have been doctored!
I have had a photo of them at work today and it kept me smiling knowing that
they are ours. At least the lady knows they are being re-homed so she can
smile too and make the most of her time left with them coz you do get
attached don't you?
Commenting on why Charlie and Chester were not kept...I recall Jackie (the
lady at the sanctuary) say that the owner changed her mind and decided she
could not keep them...What an ordeal that must have been for them! I promise
here and now that they have a permanent home with us and we will make them
all feel welcome and they will be loved.
James was good whilst we were there and yes kittens are cute and adorable but
he didn't pester us as he already knew that we were not going to have any.
The longest cat who had been with them was 2 years, sad but it wants to be an
only cat with no children so I could not help :-(
I do hope someone can.
I have been urging people to go, but it is when they feel the time is right.
Sorry to waffle on in no apparant order to your mail.
Moving on about my husband and Porcha, he said to me last night that she
reminded him of Molly (his 15 year old cat who died back in March). I hope
she lasts as long as Molly, hopefully longer.
The cats have no behavioural problems or physical problems.
Oh is it called FIV - sorry. Yeah my sister in law has 2 cats with the
condition Jazz and Jerry they are lovely.

Big puss and little puss - bless.

We have only ever had 2 cats which have been black 'Sludge' back in the 80's
and more recently 'Jordan' who sadly passed away (he was mainly my brothers
cat, but my Mum housed him)!
My Mum is fantastic as she loves animals and would never ever cause any harm
to them. I sent her pics of our new additions and she loved them.
Oh yes I was brought up with Cows, hens, geese, ducks, cats, dogs, fish,
terrapins, sheep...erm I think that is all. One thing I was never bothered
about was horses, we never had any....However my other sister in law has them
so that is good.
Have I rambled on too much yet?
quote: -
I went straight into the link that you provided for us, & see exactly why
they called to you. My guess is that Chester & Charlie batted their eye lids
@ you too? Porcha was ever so pretty too!

I am learning LOL - anyway on to this I did not have to meet them to know
they were the cats for me. That sometimes is a blessing as it is first
impressions hey? Chester just let me stroke him and it was so cute.
They are really soft Jackie told us - characters.

Yes I know and aware that Rover will be hostile - when I get them all here I
will see how it goes and I will call on you all for help!
Jackie says you introduce the new cats to him not the other way round as he
is the boss???

Ringo is a superstar...I am going to try and find all my cat pictures from
the past so you can see them all.
I understand what you mean about cats in or cats out, but it is what I am
used to. I confess though that we do not have a cat flap, so Rover is either
in or out but that is his character and god forbid if anything tragic like
what happend to Ringo or Jack happens to him coz I would feel bad....Sorry
that the cruel people of this society would do something like that....Where
are you from then Sheelagh is it down south?

I am going to do a photo hunt now for you all which will probably take me
hours as I am an avid animal photographer LOL.

Take care
Clare x

Hi Sheelagh
Got some great news we visited the cats and wow were they all great. A

[quoted text clipped - 185 lines]

Sheelagh "o"

Yes it was nice to get the pick of them. They are worth every penny £60 each
but they have had their vaccinations and have been doctored!

Your right, it costs me £55 just to have their inoculations up to date, on
each cat!

Commenting on why Charlie and Chester were not kept...I recall Jackie (the
lady at the sanctuary) say that the owner changed her mind and decided she
could not keep them...What an ordeal that must have been for them! I promise
here and now that they have a permanent home with us and we will make them
all feel welcome and they will be loved.

I think it's rotten when people mess the cats around like that. It must make
them feel so insecure!

The cats have no behavioural problems or physical problems.
Oh is it called FIV - sorry. Yeah my sister in law has 2 cats with the
condition Jazz and Jerry they are lovely.

My advice is look up the disease up in the Internet. Just google the words
feline FIV.

Moving on about my husband and Porcha, he said to me last night that she
reminded him of Molly (his 15 year old cat who died back in March). I hope
she lasts as long as Molly, hopefully longer.

LOL, I did notice that there is a tendency towards Molly's in your photo's.
Mind you, they were all lovely )

I am learning LOL - anyway on to this I did not have to meet them to know
they were the cats for me. That sometimes is a blessing as it is first
impressions hey? Chester just let me stroke him and it was so cute.
They are really soft Jackie told us - characters.

I know what you mean. There have been many times that the photo of the cat
has been enough for me to go and pick them up & re-home them with people that
I know will keep them for life. The good coat condition, indicates that they
have been treated well & cared for too.

Yes I know and aware that Rover will be hostile - when I get them all here I
will see how it goes and I will call on you all for help!
Jackie says you introduce the new cats to him not the other way round as he
is the boss???

this is very true. The best person here to advise you on slow introduction,
would be Mary L. She has two wonderful cats called Holly ( a solid black), &
Duffy, who is blind, so she had to take things very carefully. It worked
though, & both cats are fantastic friends...)

Ringo is a superstar...I am going to try and find all my cat pictures from
the past so you can see them all.
I understand what you mean about cats in or cats out, but it is what I am
used to. I confess though that we do not have a cat flap, so Rover is either
in or out but that is his character and god forbid if anything tragic like
what happend to Ringo or Jack happens to him coz I would feel bad....Sorry
that the cruel people of this society would do something like that....Where
are you from then Sheelagh is it down south?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...NGOTHESPICEMOG

By the time I posted this morning, you had already put your past beauty's &
present ones too. I must say that Donny was ever such a sweet kitten. I loved
the Molly's- In fact, all of them were good. I'm the same, I'm an utter
hoarder when it comes to photos I'm afraid )

The indoor outdoor debate is a bit of a hot spot here & has caused many
arguments on here. Because we all come from different countries where the
practise of how you keep your cat is different, we all feel passionately, &
it is something that "I feel should be a personal choice".

In the USA, which the vast majority of posters here are, you will find that
they have strong feelings about keeping cats indoors where they are safe from
other humans (i.e: getting run over, pinched, or simply abused.)

However, I do understand exactly what you mean. Thus far, I have always let
my cats roam as they pleased, that is until Ringo got shot in the meadow
behind our house, & one of the kittens that we homed, was killed in a similar
fashion.. This made me personally, we asses my options & I decided that the
best option available to "me & our cat's", So I built a huge new run outside
with activity centers for them, so they got a bit of the best of both worlds.
I felt guilty taking away their liberty, yet @ the same time, I was too
worride that I might loose one after the Ringo incident- so this was my happy
medium. Everyone has their own, & as long as you don't inflict your choice on
anyone else, then the status quo stays good.

I live in East Anglia, in Cambridgeshire.
Are you from the North?
Sheelagh"o"

--
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 22nd 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Aug 6, 10:24 am, "saxrocco" u36419@uwe wrote:
Hi
I have been searching the net for answers and advice.
I have had cats all my life and I will always have them, but what I am about
to write has really shocked us.

On Saturday we took our long haired tom cat called 'Donny' to be groomed as
he was full of lugs and we thought he would feel better. We went back for
him a few hours later but he wasn't finished, we hung around and heard him
meow a couple of times.
One of the ladies came out to us and said that he had been stressing. My
husband went in as I waited outside with our 6 year old son.
Minutes later I was asked to go in the room to where my husband had Donny in
his arms. He was floppy and his eyes were staring.
The lady who groomed him had said up until that point he had been the best
cat they had had as normally they are scratching and etching to get away.
I was speaking to him like normal to then realise he was not moving so we
placed him on the table to where the lady gave him heart massage and mouth to
mouth.
Nothing could be done, he was only 5 so we were all shocked and deeply upset.
He didn't seem ill although he was sleeping on our bedroom floor a lot next
to our bed and he used to stick his tongue out a lot which we found cute and
funny.
Unsure if he may be had a heart attack? One eye was staring and the other
was rolled.
His teeth have always not been white but in the past the vet wasn't concerned,
she advised that we used some special cat toothpaste to which we did a couple
of times. May be it was an infection?
I am just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar?
We brought him home and buried him, we did not want to get him checked out
with the vet as it would have been more traumatic.
We hold no remorse to the lady that groomed him she tried her best to revive
him and was deeply sorry - she had never had a cat die on her so it was not
only traumatic for us but for her and her staff as well.

I have just put the phone down from my husband who had de-registered Donny
from the vets and they think he might have had a weak heart...

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Did you get my e-mail?