messy eaters

Old December 17th 04, 11:15 PM
yepp

Default messy eaters

When my 2 cats eat their dry food, they take a mouthful and shake their
heads before chewing. I don't know if all cats do this, but mine do.. and
all the time.

They toss kibble bits all over the kitchen floor. I have a placemat under
their food and water dishes, but would love to find some sort of tray that
would catch all this dry food. I've been searching the Net looking for
something like a tray with edges on it or even a screen with sides, but all
I find are more food/water dishes. Anyone have something like that or can
you recommend a website to buy something like that? Thanks

Old December 17th 04, 11:31 PM
Motherthing

"yepp" wrote in message
When my 2 cats eat their dry food, they take a mouthful and shake their
heads before chewing. I don't know if all cats do this, but mine do.. and
all the time.

They toss kibble bits all over the kitchen floor. I have a placemat under
their food and water dishes, but would love to find some sort of tray that
would catch all this dry food. I've been searching the Net looking for
something like a tray with edges on it or even a screen with sides, but
all
I find are more food/water dishes. Anyone have something like that or can
you recommend a website to buy something like that? Thanks

Check with your local liquor store. They sometimes have "beer flats" that
are low edged boxes that you can fit the food bowls into, the cats can reach
into and the food might just stay in the flat and not fly over the floor.
Also I've found that the lids of the boxes that Avon representatives get
their shipments in work well for this purpose.

--
Motherthing

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers
are starving to death.
- Rosalind Russell

Old December 17th 04, 11:39 PM
yepp

"Motherthing" wrote in message

Check with your local liquor store. They sometimes have "beer flats" that
are low edged boxes that you can fit the food bowls into, the cats can

reach
into and the food might just stay in the flat and not fly over the floor.
Also I've found that the lids of the boxes that Avon representatives get
their shipments in work well for this purpose.

--
Motherthing

Thank you for the idea. I was looking for something a little more fancy as
they eat in the kitchen, but for the purpose intended, a box lid would do.

Old December 17th 04, 11:41 PM

Motherthing wrote:

Check with your local liquor store. They sometimes have "beer flats" that
are low edged boxes that you can fit the food bowls into, the cats can reach
into and the food might just stay in the flat and not fly over the floor.
Also I've found that the lids of the boxes that Avon representatives get
their shipments in work well for this purpose.

For that matter, canned cat food comes in flats, especially in warehouse
club type places (like Pet Club or Costco) that sell large amounts.

Roxy likes to take one piece of kibble out of the bowl with her paw,
drop it on the floor, and then eat it. So there's always all these pieces
of dry food on the floor around the food bowls. I used to have 2 place
mats under the bowls, but it didn't really help, and the place mats just
ended up being one more thing to have to wash. Now I just pick up the
bowls every so often and vacuum up the crumbs and stuff.

Joyce
Old December 17th 04, 11:47 PM

yepp wrote:

Thank you for the idea. I was looking for something a little more
fancy as they eat in the kitchen, but for the purpose intended, a box
lid would do.

Maybe you could decorate the sides?

Joyce
Old December 17th 04, 11:47 PM
jmcquown

yepp wrote:
When my 2 cats eat their dry food, they take a mouthful and shake
their heads before chewing. I don't know if all cats do this, but
mine do.. and all the time.

They toss kibble bits all over the kitchen floor. I have a placemat
under their food and water dishes, but would love to find some sort
of tray that would catch all this dry food. I've been searching the
Net looking for something like a tray with edges on it or even a
screen with sides, but all I find are more food/water dishes. Anyone
have something like that or can you recommend a website to buy
something like that? Thanks

Perhaps a human TV tray-like item made of plastic? The ones I remember from
my childhood had slightly upturned edges. Funny, I don't remember us being
allowed to eat TV dinners or on TV trays - they were just something Mom had
because didn't every mom in 1960 have TV trays? (TV's were still a novelty
LOL)

Jill

Old December 17th 04, 11:52 PM
yepp

For that matter, canned cat food comes in flats, especially in warehouse
club type places (like Pet Club or Costco) that sell large amounts.

Roxy likes to take one piece of kibble out of the bowl with her paw,
drop it on the floor, and then eat it. So there's always all these pieces
of dry food on the floor around the food bowls. I used to have 2 place
mats under the bowls, but it didn't really help, and the place mats just
ended up being one more thing to have to wash. Now I just pick up the
bowls every so often and vacuum up the crumbs and stuff.

Joyce

I hope I am posting correctly by deleting some lines... don't know.

I have the placemat but like you said, it is just another thing to wipe
clean.

I am constantly bending over picking up cat kibble and they manage to toss
it as far as 4' or so. Maybe it rolls that far.

Anyways, I went to the CFA Cat show several times just to look around and
enjoy the show plus they had 1/2 of the area for vendors just selling items
for cats. There were many that had trays like I described, but I never
bought one. And I never picked up a business card either. Now I can't find
them on the Net.

Some were painted trays and very cute. Since my cats eat right there in
front of the fridge, I wanted to get something kinda nice looking. Also, I
think the food attracks ants.

Old December 17th 04, 11:54 PM
yepp

Perhaps a human TV tray-like item made of plastic? The ones I remember
from
my childhood had slightly upturned edges. Funny, I don't remember us

being
allowed to eat TV dinners or on TV trays - they were just something Mom

had
because didn't every mom in 1960 have TV trays? (TV's were still a

novelty
LOL)

Jill

Yes, I remember those... maybe I should shop for TV trays if they are still
around. LOL!

Old December 18th 04, 12:04 AM
jmcquown

yepp wrote:
Perhaps a human TV tray-like item made of plastic? The ones I
remember from my childhood had slightly upturned edges. Funny, I
don't remember us being allowed to eat TV dinners or on TV trays -
they were just something Mom had because didn't every mom in 1960
have TV trays? (TV's were still a novelty LOL)

Jill

Yes, I remember those... maybe I should shop for TV trays if they are
still around. LOL!

Check eBay. I found this metal one with cats on it!

Jill

Old December 18th 04, 12:07 AM
yepp

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
yepp wrote:
Perhaps a human TV tray-like item made of plastic? The ones I
remember from my childhood had slightly upturned edges. Funny, I
don't remember us being allowed to eat TV dinners or on TV trays -
they were just something Mom had because didn't every mom in 1960
have TV trays? (TV's were still a novelty LOL)

Jill

Yes, I remember those... maybe I should shop for TV trays if they are
still around. LOL!

Check eBay. I found this metal one with cats on it!

Jill

That is kinda cute! Thanks Jill. I never bought anything on Ebay but will
check into it.