Bartonella - THAT's why I almost died

Old May 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Brian Link

Default Bartonella - THAT's why I almost died

Found out the Henry tested positive for Bartonella. Did some googling
and discovered that's the cause of "cat-scratch fever", pretty damn
serious for humans.

NOW it makes sense that when he mauled me while I (stupidly) was
separating him from killing the other cats, that I got the worst
infection I've ever seen. Owning cats all my life, I've never had an
adverse reaction from a cat bite/scratch. My doctor told me I could
have lost my hand.

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink
Old May 5th 05, 06:18 AM
Candace

Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

Old May 5th 05, 07:26 AM
Mary

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

What do you think?

Old May 5th 05, 07:28 AM
Brian Link

On 4 May 2005 22:18:53 -0700, "Candace" wrote:

Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

Yes - quite happy, He's a great cat.

BLink
Old May 5th 05, 07:36 AM
Brian Link

On Thu, 5 May 2005 02:26:43 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Candace" wrote in message
roups.com...
Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

What do you think?

Bah you hope he's miserable. What a sad cat-advocate you are.

I have some pictures of dead cats I've found on the web. Would those
make you happy?

You should just stop posting and seek treatment. Some of us are
looking out for the welfare of these little beasts. I'm sure there are
"cat-torture" forums where you'd feel more at home.

You're a masked troll, but a troll nonetheless.. where is a post where
you've offered constructive help? Oh, sorry - there are none.

Treatment is no shame. Get back to us when you've had some.

BLink
Old May 5th 05, 11:51 AM
Mary

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 5 May 2005 02:26:43 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Candace" wrote in message
roups.com...
Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

What do you think?

Bah you hope he's miserable. What a sad cat-advocate you are.

You are really a case. You have said over and over again that his new
owner is thrilled with him, which is my point.

I have some pictures of dead cats I've found on the web. Would those
make you happy?

You should just stop posting and seek treatment. Some of us are
looking out for the welfare of these little beasts. I'm sure there are
"cat-torture" forums where you'd feel more at home.

You're a masked troll, but a troll nonetheless.. where is a post where
you've offered constructive help? Oh, sorry - there are none.

Treatment is no shame. Get back to us when you've had some.

Feel better? lol

Old May 5th 05, 04:34 PM
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
Found out the Henry tested positive for Bartonella. Did some googling
and discovered that's the cause of "cat-scratch fever", pretty damn
serious for humans.

NOW it makes sense that when he mauled me while I (stupidly) was
separating him from killing the other cats, that I got the worst
infection I've ever seen. Owning cats all my life, I've never had an
adverse reaction from a cat bite/scratch. My doctor told me I could
have lost my hand.

If the infection was localized to just your hand, it probably wasn't
Cat Scratch Disease (CSD). CSD is systemic and affects the lymphatic
system.

In the future, if you are bitten or scratched, and the wound seems to
get infected almost immediately (many do- withing two hours), one good
way to curb the infection until you can see a doctor is to soak the
infected part in *hot* salt water - 1 cup salt to a gallon of water.
Make the water as hot as you can stand it, to soak for 5 mintes 2-4
times daily. The salt will draw the infection out of the wound. Most
quickly-infected, cat-mediated wounds are caused by Gram-negative
bacteria, and these types of infections are easily treated with the
salt soultion. On more than one occassion, I have been able to forego
a trip to the doctor (but I don't recommend doing so - for obvious
reasons). In fact, the few bites I have had have been self-limiting.

Glad Henry is doing great.

Good luck,
-L.

Old May 6th 05, 04:16 AM
Slimpickins

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 5 May 2005 02:26:43 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Candace" wrote in message
roups.com...
Brian Link wrote:

Now he's getting treatment - good ol' Henry.

BLink

So, his new owner is happy with him, I hope?

Candace

What do you think?

Bah you hope he's miserable. What a sad cat-advocate you are.

I have some pictures of dead cats I've found on the web. Would those
make you happy?

You should just stop posting and seek treatment. Some of us are
looking out for the welfare of these little beasts. I'm sure there are
"cat-torture" forums where you'd feel more at home.

You're a masked troll, but a troll nonetheless.. where is a post where
you've offered constructive help? Oh, sorry - there are none.

Treatment is no shame. Get back to us when you've had some.

BLink

**You crack me up, BLink! :-). You hit the nail on the head. All 'Mary'
seems to post here is her never-ending, toe stomping insults and barbs, then
act ever so nice and 'normal' to some of the newbies (who don't know her any
better) in her continual fight to back-peddle and attempt some damage
control (of her own making). A leopard can't change it's spots.

ML

Old May 6th 05, 04:31 AM
Mary

"Slimpickins" wrote in message
"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 5 May 2005 02:26:43 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Candace" wrote in message
roups.com...
Brian Link wrote:

[...]

Hee! Still thinking about breeding your stray, asswipe?

Old May 6th 05, 06:48 AM

-L. wrote:
Brian Link wrote:
[...]

That pretty well jives with the experiences I've heard about Cat
Scratch Fever. Usually the affected person is teenaged or younger. The
lymph nodes will stay swollen for as long as six weeks. Sounds to me
more like just a nasty infection. I'd bet your doctor would have
recognized the symptoms if it had been more than that. Nice to hear
Henry is doing well though, and got treated for the Bartonella.

Sherry