W-A-Y-Y OT (but IMO important) - Farenheit 911

Old June 26th 04, 09:36 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default W-A-Y-Y OT (but IMO important) - Farenheit 911

I am not a movie-goer – until yesterday, the last time I’d seen a film
in a theater was when the movie of Carl Sagan’s “Contact” was released.
Most things I really want to see will wait until I can rent the video
and watch it on a reasonably sized screen with the sound at an
acceptable volume level. Given the timely subject matter, Fahrenheit
911 seemed too important and too time-bound a film for this treatment.
(If only to be sure I saw it before it was withdrawn on some pretext or
other.)

This is a very disturbing film, but one I personally believe every
American should see. Yes, it’s “propaganda” and yes, it is edited to
present Mr. Moores’ personal point of view, with which not everyone
agrees. H O W E V E R, he makes many of his points using actual news
footage, and with verifiable statements of facts (no matter how
unpalatable some people may find them). Some of those unarguable
elements are disquieting, to say the least, and may cause all but the
most unquestioning of Bush supporters to re-examine their positions.

Yes, I DO recognize the parts that are biased - a college student could
not get through Freshman English at Macalester (at least not in my day)
without being able to recognize “slanted” news reporting (although I
doubt whether many of us have heard an “unbiased” news report since WW2
– and some of those were suspect, for obvious reasons). I’m very much
afraid many of my fellow-countrymen no longer know the difference
between “news” and “news commentary”.

It is encouraging that “freedom of speech” in America has not yet been
so far suppressed that films like “Fahrenheit 911” cannot reach an
audience. (If we re-elect our present administration, who knows?.)
Whether it makes enough of us actually THINK about what it says remains
to be seen. It certainly raises some vital questions which the Bush
administration would be wise to address with something other than
rhetoric (rather than “sweeping them under the rug” as it seems so
prone to do).

I urge all of you who can to see “Fahrenheit 911” and judge for
yourselves. If the film makes you THINK (instead of react), whether or
not you agree with its premises, then it has accomplished what it was
intended to do.

Old June 27th 04, 01:13 AM
Victor Martinez

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
I urge all of you who can to see “Fahrenheit 911” and judge for
yourselves. If the film makes you THINK (instead of react), whether or
not you agree with its premises, then it has accomplished what it was
intended to do.

We just came back from watching that movie. We had intended to go to the
12:50 show, but they were all sold out until 4pm. So we got our ticktes
and went to run some errands. It's been a long time since I've been to a
sold-out movie with every seat in the theater taken. Amazing!
It is a very powerful movie and I highly recommend it. It does include
some very disturbing footage, so it's not suitable for young children. I
disagree with the R rating though, I think teens nowadays see more
violence on TV and their videogames than what it's shown in the movie.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 27th 04, 04:15 AM

Victor Martinez wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I urge all of you who can to see “Fahrenheit 911” and judge for
yourselves. If the film makes you THINK (instead of react), whether
or not you agree with its premises, then it has accomplished what it
was intended to do.

We just came back from watching that movie. We had intended to go to the
12:50 show, but they were all sold out until 4pm. So we got our ticktes
and went to run some errands. It's been a long time since I've been to a
sold-out movie with every seat in the theater taken. Amazing!
It is a very powerful movie and I highly recommend it. It does include
some very disturbing footage, so it's not suitable for young children. I
disagree with the R rating though, I think teens nowadays see more
violence on TV and their videogames than what it's shown in the movie.

I found the "R" rating a bit over-the-top, too. "No one under
twenty-five admitted without proof of age"? C'MON!!!! (Or is it more
because "Young people are more inclined than their elders to want to
change the world for the better, so let's not give them ammunition"?)

Old June 27th 04, 07:32 AM
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I urge all of you who can to see “Fahrenheit 911” and judge for
yourselves.

I disagree with the R rating though, I think teens
nowadays see more violence on TV and their videogames than what it's
shown in the movie.

I found the "R" rating a bit over-the-top, too. "No one under
twenty-five admitted without proof of age"? C'MON!!!! (Or is it more
because "Young people are more inclined than their elders to want to
change the world for the better, so let's not give them ammunition"?)

The ratings folks have nothing better to do than to try to tell us who
should see what when and at what age. I doubt seriously they are all
Republican's, either. More like southern Baptists or evangelists. No, you
can't buy beer on Sunday until after 12:00 noon (you have to wait until
AFTER church to get drunk, you fool!) NO, you can't see that woman in
panties at the movies if you're 12 (but it's okay to go to the beach and see
her in a bikini). Remember back in our day when married couples on
television had to have separate beds? Lucy & Ricky; Rob & Laura Petrie.
One foot on the floor at all times. Funny, I don't recall my parents having
twin beds. Film Ratings are just too weird for words.

Jill