What is it about mousies?

Old September 1st 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default What is it about mousies?

Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Jill

Old September 1st 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Who knows? Cats have their reasons, but they don't always
confide in us. I have the somewhat mouse-like remains of a
toy that once was part of one of those fishing-pole toys.
(The string is still attached.) My gals will play with
other toys more-or-less silently, but I always know when one
of them has rediscovered this particular toy - they carry it
through the house meowing at the top of their lungs!
(Sometimes I've been on the point of going to see what's
causing the meower such distress, when the complaining cat
appears, toy in mouth.)
Old September 1st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

these mousies? (She's only ever seen one real mouse in her life and
it scared her!) So what's up with this particular toy that gets her
going?

Who knows? Cats have their reasons, but they don't always
confide in us. I have the somewhat mouse-like remains of a
toy that once was part of one of those fishing-pole toys.
(The string is still attached.) My gals will play with
other toys more-or-less silently, but I always know when one
of them has rediscovered this particular toy - they carry it
through the house meowing at the top of their lungs!
(Sometimes I've been on the point of going to see what's
causing the meower such distress, when the complaining cat
appears, toy in mouth.)

You may or may not recall, for a while Persia was facinated with the Brachs
butterscotch candies I had in a dish on a table. She'd reach up and
delicately grab one, toss it around then bat it all over the place. Said
fascination ended after a while. But when I had to have the guy come in to
replace the element in my oven there were countless butterscotch candies
behind the stove.

I'm sure the mousies have suffered similar fates since I can't find any of
them. Sometimes I find a faux tail. But the mousies? Nope. I guess
they're either under the couch, behind the stove or maybe behind the
refrigerator. Places where I can't get to them.

My dog Sampson (RB 1999) was a lot more simple. He brought his toys back to
me. In fact, I sometimes had to hide them from him because he'd drive me
crazy. Slobbery tennis balls are not fun. But he didn't cost me a fortune
in toys, either. The only thing that hasn't disappeared is Persia's
refillable catnip "sock". She'll bunny kick and then lick that thing to
death. Yet it never goes missing. She knows I'll refill it with new
catnip. Cats are not stupid

Jill

Old September 1st 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 04:55:40 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Jill

Are her toys made with real or artificial fur? MLB
Old September 1st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

My Lily absolutely loves the little 1-inch mousies that come in a bunch.
I will give her one at a time and after 5 minutes it disappears. I guess she
shoves it down the basement stairs, under the oven, under the refrigerator,
under closet doors. And unless I go hunting for them they will stay there
until cleaning day which isn't often. PetSmart once had a sale on these
and I bought about 10 packages of 8 mousies each, and she only gets
one at a time because if I give them to her more than that the entire
bunch will be gone in no time at all.

Lily's mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old September 1st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most
other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's
up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

This is just a theory, right? Cats have a hunting instinct. Even if
Persia is afraid of "real mousies" this pretend one lets her be brave enough
to be a real killer. Like Evelyn posted earlier, her cats loud meows are
the noise they make when they have real prey. It's displaced hunting
instinct.

The only toy mousie Boyfie took any interest in (forget the catnipped filled
and the ones that actually look like toys) was a little one that I bought
that actually looked like a real one. I put in on the rug and waited until
he came in. He spotted it immediately, sprang on it and flipped it into the
air. When it landed, he smelled it and declared it BORING. Not a real one,
you see.

Tweed

Old September 1st 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

mlbriggs wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 04:55:40 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores
most other toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just
show her a tiny mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about
these mousies? (She's only ever seen one real mouse in her life and
it scared her!) So what's up with this particular toy that gets her
going?

Jill

Are her toys made with real or artificial fur? MLB

I think it's rabbit fur. Don't tell me she wants a rabbit! LOL

Jill

Old September 1st 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

One fall a real mouse got into my apartment and (for whatever reason) fell
dead in the kitchen... trust me, it wasn't my cooking! Persia was afraid to
go into the kitchen until I removed said dead mouse. Even after that she
was a bit timid. She doesn't like mice. Maybe she was terrorized by a
mouse when she lived on the big OUT before finding me. I don't really know.
I just know she has a grand time with the tiny rattly mousies

Jill

Old September 1st 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

LOL!

Persia was afraid to
go into the kitchen until I removed said dead mouse. Even after that she
was a bit timid. She doesn't like mice. Maybe she was terrorized by a
mouse when she lived on the big OUT before finding me. I don't really
know.

Boyfie offers a virtual holiday to Persia to the UK, here where the vermin
are. To look at real mowsies and ratties and learn to virtually catch them
To go outside without fear of traffic or predators.
Fortunately the terrier men have been over today and most of the big ratties
are gone. Phew.
That is providing it is okay with his wink-wink, Mimi, who is his one and
only love.
What say you, Persia? Fancy teleporting over for a look at real mousies and
ratties? I will help you.

Boyfriend

Old September 1st 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Um... I think Persia said meant the toy mousies have little seeds or
something in them that make them rattle. Not Rats!! She'd rather not, but
thanks for the invite, Boyfie!