What Can I Do To Help This Cat?

Old November 14th 03, 08:59 AM
Sherry

You
are dealing with two elderly cats, not tigers.

They still have their teeth though !
Alison

That's true, Alison! Besides, the OP mentioned one cat was five which is far
from being elderly, and I don't recall her mentioning the other's age. You
can't just let two cats "go at it." It'll set back the introduction, badly.

Sherry
Old November 14th 03, 12:44 PM
Luvskats00

...Sometimes cats that have
problems like this, at this age are almost irreversible. I agree with Mary
regarding putting her in a bathroom until she settles down, and you get on a
normal sleeping schedule, and minimize your damages....granted your
resident cat is neutered and declawed, I would just let them go at it. You
are dealing with two elderly cats, not tigers. They are going to have to
deal with each other eventually

I hope I'm making correct decisions here. I'm caging her until I know she can
use the litterbox NOT my bed...and she goes 24 hours w/out throwing up. As for
putting her in the bathroom...I don't want to find any surprises in
there...putting her in the bathroom will NOT force her to use the
litterbox...As for sleeping...I do need to replace the mattress..it is
impossible to mask the odor AND that is a trigger to the new cat as a place to
pea and a trigger to the resident cat as a territorial marker to frenzy about.
I am still considering a week's stay at a mental health facility...more updates
later. Thanky thanky all.

Old November 14th 03, 12:53 PM
Luvskats00

writes

Iso wrote:
granted your resident cat is
neutered and declawed, I would just let them go at it.

This is incredibly CRUEL and STUPID advice and I hope the OP has the
good sense to ignore it. Doing the above will only increase the stress
levels of BOTH cats and create unnecessary trauma for the new cat, who
up until this time has been an *only* cat.

I truly believe that some people have good intentions and can't express
themselves very well in their posts. Others have no clue, but write anyway.
For every response I received with advice to do this or that, I get a response
to do the exact opposite. It boggles the mind. No..I wouldn't let two cats
just "go at it"..but I believe the actual intent was to allow the cats to do
what they will, ultimately. At some point - whether it is today or 6 months
from today - the two cats will have to face each other and decide how to
interact. I don't have the luxury of separating them forever. Some people
urge me to wait up to 6 months (not even close to possible) and some say to do
it yesterday (duh).

I am encouraged that (while caged) she used the box to deficate. I will monitor
her today and allow her out if she uses the box to pee (of course I cleaned the
box, silly). I also will not allow her to roam until 36 hours pass without
throwing up.

After that...it's touch & go. Resident cat's focus is to get through the cage
to the cat. I'm expecting Feliway today and pray it will help with the
territorial issues.

Old November 14th 03, 12:57 PM
Luvskats00

one cat was five which is far
from being elderly, and I don't recall her mentioning the other's age. You
can't just let two cats "go at it." It'll set back the introduction, badly.

The resident cat is a 4 year old (neutered) robust very alpha (10+ pount) male
who likes to pounce on his feline companion(s). New girl is a petite 5-6-7 year
old w/poor dental health. She's about 5 pounds and has been an only cat.