Pat's confused cat

Old October 29th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Pat's confused cat

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dan M" wrote in message
My brother Pat has quite an assortment of kitties that are now coming
by
his place regularly for food. One of them, nicknamed "Beat-to-hell
Cat",
is a tom who obviously lived a hard life. He's missing half one ear,
has
scars all over his face, etc. For the first few weeks he was eating at
Pat's he would run off whenever he saw any human nearby. He finally
started calming down a bit, until he would eat on the front porch while
Pat was sitting nearby. About a month ago he started getting close
enough
for Pat to pet his head.

He is a strange cat. He rubs against Pat's legs and stands still to be
petted, but hisses the whole time. Last week he modified his behavior a
little. Now he still hisses while he's being petted, but throws an
occasional squeaky "meow" in between hisses. It sounds like the poor
thing never learned to meow properly.

I read somewhere that cats have to *learn* to meow in a low enough
register for humans to hear as ferals communicate by meow with each
other in a much higher tone which we cannot hear.
This would explain why your old boy hasn't got it yet, and why I think
KFC cannot meow. She opens her mouth every time I look at her but no
sound comes out. She is obviously meowing but I can't hear it. She is
quite able to make other sounds - like when she was threatening another
cat in the days of her youth she had a loud voice with that mrow, mrow,
mrow walking on tiptoe very slowly to say you wanna fight? get this
then.. ;-)
Then came the flying attack from a 4lb dervish. She had no fear of any
cat, no matter how much larger than her they were and they cowered and
ran.
Boyfie was a bit lucky, I think ;-) Kitty was totally bowled over by
his charm.

LOL! I think attitude wins more fights than prowess - and KFC certainly
has the attitude.

How is the old girl doing lately?

Declining in appetite again, unfortunately. There is only so much chicken
you can freshly roast to tempt.

Tweed

I'm sorry to hear that. Please give her a skritch from me and let the
grande dame know she has admirers from all across the world!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 2nd 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Christina Websell wrote:
Declining in appetite again, unfortunately. There is only so much chicken
you can freshly roast to tempt.

Tweed

Lots and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek