OT - Commercials

Old December 8th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Commercials

I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials just
now and I was wondering about others' opinion, Agree or agree to disagree?
[And I'm not even going to touch on the false image of body-shape that they
all promote.]

First, and this encompasses all commercials, not just one, I hate how family
relationships are pictured, giving the impressions that these things are
normal or good. But others are annoying just in and of themselves. Below
are some I really dislike.

1. Parents should lie to their children. Example: The stain-remover ad
where the mother doesn't tell her daughter what really happened to her
favorite shirt, and, for the same product, a husband asking his children to
lie to his wife/their mother about what they've eaten.

2. People who don't have the latest techno toys are stupid and outré.

3. Parents (especially/mostly fathers/husbands) are shown to be stupid and
easily outwitted or duped by their "hip", techno-savvy children. Example:
The wifi computer ad where the daughter tells her dunce of a father that it
has "invisible cords" is one.

4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to control
myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE* most
annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair of roller
skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use the
nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest baby on
the planet (I suspect it was some company executive's grandson). Add to
that, they show a baby, in a baby walker dodging and weaving in traffic with
cars and semis (and given the ugliness of the baby makes you wonder which to
root for (joke, of course)). It reminds my of a few years ago when Quiznos
came up with a commercial that featured what looked to be dead rats playing
guitars, and screeching - yeah, good way to advertise a fast food chain,
dead rats!

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US folks,
obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 8th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to
control myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE* most
annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair of roller
skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use the
nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest baby on
the planet

Sorry, I'm not a fan of babies but I think that one is cute I agree the
song is grating. I don't even know what the commercial is about.

Jill

Old December 8th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

It's from HP - the photo-direct-to-printer camera.

This one *so* annoyed me that I actually wrote the company to complain. I
got the following reply to my email:

"Hi Lori,

Thank you for your email and feedback. The commercial is a part of a series
of advertisements designed to create awareness for a new technology (ePrint)
that allows consumers to send content from their mobile devices to their
printers. The baby visuals provide a compelling way to demonstrate how HP
ePrint can add value to our customer's on-the-go, highly mobile, lifestyles.

As part of our advertisement development process, we test the advertising
among a large segment of the target audience, to garner statistically
significant feedback that can be generalized, within a small margin of
error, to the target market at large. Customer sentiment and feedback to
the "happy baby" commercial was incredibly positive and encouraging, with
consumers using words like "intriguing" "fun" and "cute" as descriptors.
Feedback through social media channels has been equally positive.

We apologize that you find this advertisement obnoxious.

Sincerely,
Cherie"

Old December 8th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "CatNipped" wrote:
I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials

Well, I mute ALL commercials and haven't listened to one in, literally,
decades. I haven't even endured one for the company that's employed me for 37
years.

As an aside, I carry gunner's hearing protectors in all public spaces because
of the ever-increasing number of stores (especially grocery stores) that think
they have a captive market to blast advertising over the stores' speakers. I
might look like a dweeb, but they can't victimize me with their commercials.

And to bring things back on topic (gasp) I'm getting a fourth cat Friday
afternoon. Emma is an 11-year-old tan/orange beauty who was offered on
Craigslist from a nearby community. I think it's rotten of folks to do that,
but at least they made an effort to find a good home.

Art
Old December 8th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Well, I mute ALL commercials and haven't listened to one in,
literally, decades. I haven't even endured one for the company
that's employed me for 37 years.

That's impressive. I do the same thing, but not quite as consistently.
However, I did completely wear out the mute button on my remote and
had to buy a new one!

There is just something about the sound of someone exhorting me to buy
stuff that really sets my teeth on edge.

As an aside, I carry gunner's hearing protectors in all public
spaces because of the ever-increasing number of stores
(especially grocery stores) that think they have a captive market
to blast advertising over the stores' speakers. I might look like
a dweeb, but they can't victimize me with their commercials.

You could bring an iPod instead. That would allow you to (1) avoid
the annoying ads, (2) listen to something you enjoy and (3) look
cool while doing it.

I find an iPod indispensible when shopping during December.

And to bring things back on topic (gasp) I'm getting a fourth cat
Friday afternoon. Emma is an 11-year-old tan/orange beauty who
was offered on Craigslist from a nearby community.

Congratulations!

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old December 8th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

CatNipped wrote:

I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials

What is your favorite or least favorite

I don't watch TV, I just use the machine to watch occasional DVD
movies, thereby avoiding the problem altogether.

Old December 8th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

I am eager to hear more about Emma and see her picture. We are sending
purrs for this to be a great, satisfying move. Purrs also that the
other cats accept her willingly. Do others in your bike group have
cats too? Best wishes. MLB
Old December 8th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

I am eager to hear more about Emma and see her picture.

I don't know how much longer the ad will be posted, as presumably it should be
removed soon, but here it is with two pictures:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/2094684504.html

Do others in your bike group have
cats too?

I'm not sure; although I consider almost everyone an acquaintance, I know
little about most of them personally. The exception is my frequent riding
partner, who has two cats. Interestingly, neither of them have names. She
just doesn't see the need to name them, which I find remarkably bizarre.

And I guess I once posted the link to the picture of a beautiful white cat,
Admiral Frosty, brought to the midway coffee shop by a member who happened not
to be riding that day. She too has multiple cats.

Art
Old December 8th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

I'm not sure; although I consider almost everyone an acquaintance, I know
little about most of them personally. The exception is my frequent riding
partner, who has two cats. Interestingly, neither of them have names. She
just doesn't see the need to name them, which I find remarkably bizarre.

It's certainly unusual in the sense that naming things is a very human
thing to do. From the cats' perspective, though, it probably doesn't make
much difference.

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old December 8th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:

I am eager to hear more about Emma and see her picture.

I don't know how much longer the ad will be posted, as presumably it should be
removed soon, but here it is with two pictures:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/2094684504.html

Do others in your bike group have
cats too?

I'm not sure; although I consider almost everyone an acquaintance, I know
little about most of them personally. The exception is my frequent riding
partner, who has two cats. Interestingly, neither of them have names. She
just doesn't see the need to name them, which I find remarkably bizarre.

And I guess I once posted the link to the picture of a beautiful white cat,
Admiral Frosty, brought to the midway coffee shop by a member who happened not
to be riding that day. She too has multiple cats.

Art

She does look like she could use some loving care, which she definitely
will get from you. Her eyes look clear and bright which is a good sign.
May you have many happy years together. MLB