HELP! New Kitten

Old November 23rd 03, 02:10 AM
/~~

Default HELP! New Kitten

Hi,
We just got a new kitten today about 8 weeks old. She was raised outside in
a barn and has not had any medical attention. She had been eating kitten
chow and the occasional mouse for 2 weeks prior to moving in with us. Today
she has been drinking milk and eating dried kitten chow but we have not seen
her use the litter box or anywhere for the 5 hours we've had her. She seems
pretty healthy and we want to know what is recommended as far as shots and
anything else we should do for her. We do not plan to declaw her and would
like her to be an inside cat. Is this 8 week age too early to get her
medical attention? Any suggestions how to get her to use a litter box if
she decides to go anywhere she wants? Any help is appreciated.

Bob and Mickey

Grandpa can't fly his kite because Grandma won't give him no tail......
Clarence Carter

Old November 23rd 03, 02:46 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"/~~" wrote:

Hi,
We just got a new kitten today about 8 weeks old. She was raised outside in
a barn and has not had any medical attention. She had been eating kitten
chow and the occasional mouse for 2 weeks prior to moving in with us. Today
she has been drinking milk and eating dried kitten chow but we have not seen
her use the litter box or anywhere for the 5 hours we've had her. She seems
pretty healthy and we want to know what is recommended as far as shots and
anything else we should do for her. We do not plan to declaw her and would
like her to be an inside cat. Is this 8 week age too early to get her
medical attention? Any suggestions how to get her to use a litter box if
she decides to go anywhere she wants? Any help is appreciated.

Try mixing some dirt into her litter to give her the idea. I would also
put her in the litter and dig in it with your hand to give her the idea.

Now's a really good time to get her checked out by the vet -- kitten
shots and so on. In a month or so you can get her spayed. The milk may
or may not be a great idea. I presume this is cow's milk? Some cats,
although by no means all cats, are lactose intolerant and may get
diarrhea from cow's milk. She'd probably do fine on cream, though,
since it has less lactose.

Not declawing her is great, and indoors is a good idea, too. Good thing
she's young, so the great outdoors can more easily become a memory. One
of mine was a feral kitten whom I took in and socialized when he was at
least 12 weeks old. He's fine indoors only now, although I'm not sure
he recognizes the green trees and grass outside my windows as the same
world as the concrete, corrugated iron, and dumpsters which were the
environment he grew up in!

Is she at at all socialized? Will she let you touch her?

Priscilla

Old November 23rd 03, 02:55 AM
/~~

Yes, she lets us pick her up and cuddle her. Right now she is sleeping on a
small towel over a throw rug. Is she at 8 weeks old enough to take for
shots?
thanks
Bob

--
/~~

Old November 23rd 03, 04:49 AM
Judy

"/~~" wrote in message
.com...
Yes, she lets us pick her up and cuddle her. Right now she is sleeping on

small towel over a throw rug. Is she at 8 weeks old enough to take for
shots?
thanks
Bob

Yes, she's old enough for her shots.

Judy

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Resident female cat does not accept new kitten Help!!!!! Dan Coleman Cat health & behaviour 4 July 23rd 03 04:55 PM