Newbie questions: Food issues

Old May 10th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AMUN[_3_]

Default Newbie questions: Food issues

"Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones
wrote in :

In ,
Upscale typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "William Graham" wrote in message
: My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
: waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
:
: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
: bowl is *almost* empty.

My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in
the
house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
times a day that may be.

Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.

--
- Nic.

This is the reason God invented Kibble.

Old May 11th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In ,
AMUN typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote in message
: ...
: On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones

[snip]

: My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when
: anyone in the
: house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of
: coffee or whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you
: arrive..! However many times a day that may be.
:
: Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet
: from pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible,
: then complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!
:
: So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.
:
: This is the reason God invented Kibble.

True, but it's not wise to feed too much kibble to cats that are known to
have urinary problems. Missy has had cystitis a couple of times and as
she's not getting any younger (she's 14 this year) I don't like giving her
too much.

Ivor

Old May 11th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AMUN[_3_]

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
In ,
AMUN typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
[...]

I'm not sure where you got the info on a tie-in with kibble and urinary
problems.
But you do have to make sure they have plenty of fresh water available as
well.
We leave several 4 quart plastic (old ice cream) containers full of water at
various locations around the house, so they never have to go far for a sip.
We also dump, rinse, and refill them with fresh water every day.

We have always just left out bowl(s) of kibble for the cats that get
refilled as soon as half is gone.
The cats regulate their own food intake, and when they know it's always
going to be there they never gorge themselves, but nibble at it several
times a day.
This also allows several cats to use one dish of food, without any blood
being shed.

Never had any overweight problems other than the normal fattening up every
winter, but as soon as spring hits they lose the weight, and are lean all
summer long.
And actually go out an hunt most of their own food when the weather is nice,
so the kibble lasts forever..

Old May 21st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"AMUN" wrote in message
We have always just left out bowl(s) of kibble for the cats that get
refilled as soon as half is gone.
The cats regulate their own food intake, and when they know it's always
going to be there they never gorge themselves, but nibble at it several
times a day.
This also allows several cats to use one dish of food, without any blood
being shed.

Never had any overweight problems other than the normal fattening up every
winter, but as soon as spring hits they lose the weight, and are lean all
summer long.
And actually go out an hunt most of their own food when the weather is
nice, so the kibble lasts forever..

I leave a 5 lb. bag of kibbles in the middle of the kitchen floor.....The
cats make believe it isn't there until we are in bed. Then, in the middle of
the night, they tear into it and scatter it all over the floor, and eat it
like there's no tomorrow......The next morning, they make believe that
nothing happened, and hope that we won't clean up the mess......:^)

Old May 21st 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:17:23 -0700, William Graham
wrote in :

"AMUN" wrote in message
[...]

A kibble-strewn kitchen floor is not the most pleasant of places to walk
in one's bare foots. (Two guesses how I know?)

--
- Nic.
Old July 6th 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
pyotr filipivich

"William Graham" on Thu, 8 May 2008 13:50:40 -0700
typed in alt.pets.cats the following:

"Rene S." wrote in message
I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.

My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

Mine just starts (?Resumes??) complaining about the Help (that
would be me), and he gets fed far more often than he should.

--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Old July 6th 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
pyotr filipivich

"Ivor Jones" on Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53
+0100 typed in alt.pets.cats the following:
In ,
Upscale typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "William Graham" wrote in message
: My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
: waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
:
: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
: bowl is *almost* empty.

My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
times a day that may be.

Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

"I'm a poor neglected pussy cat, wasting away of starvation..
Nobody ever feeds me, and look at what they expect me to eat!"

Ivor