Neutered Female cat marking: Due to Orkin Man or other factors?

Old October 16th 03, 08:29 PM
yosarian_espo

Default Neutered Female cat marking: Due to Orkin Man or other factors?

Hi all-
About 7 months ago my wife and I moved into our new house from a 1
bedroom apartment with our 2 cats, a male (10 or so) and a female
(3ish). They had one cat box at the apt, but got along great with each
other. No marking incidents, no hissing, no fighting beyond normal
play. When we moved in, however, she became rather angry around him,
even when he wasn't poking at her. If we picked her up and brought her
in from the screened in porch she would growl and then when we put her
down she would go after him. This went on (and still goes on)for quite
some time. Then, about 4 months later (early to mid July) we had the
Orkin pest control service come in to spray for insects and put down
glue traps for mice. So far, we haven't seen any violent reaction from
the chemicals.

Except for the marking.

Soon after they used the insectiside, around the windows and doors, my
wife and I noticed a cat urine smell. We thought it was the chemicals
or something else. And it wasn't always there. But when Orkin came
back in October, soon after we noticed the smell again. Then I caught
her doing it in the dining room. So I started smelling the carpet and
noticed that it was by the windows. I went and bought a blacklight and
went around the house. Man, was I surprised!

Now, I don't say spraying, because it isn't that much. Just a few
drops here and there. But there is a pattern. In the 2 rooms in the
front of the house, the living room and the dining room and for a
while in the bath mat in the master bathroom, the female would squat,
and pee just a little bit. In both the living and dining rooms, there
is a trail all around the perimeter of the room, except in front of
the entranceway to the room. In the dining room, since there are 2
entrances and a large china cabinet, it goes along the perifery on the
rug, but not on any furniture. In the living room, it goes around the
perifiery and behind the couch.

What I am wondering is, could this have been caused by a reaction she
had to the chemicals Orkin used, or something else?

I noticed her in the litter box this morning and she took a long time
in there with very little urine. Should I be concerned? I am about to
go clean it up with Pet Enzyme cleaner and then spray Feliway in the
areas she marked. I hope it works and that she stops marking.

Your thoughts and ideas are much apreciated. We don't want to have to
get rid of her because of this!
Old October 16th 03, 09:45 PM
Mary

I noticed her in the litter box this morning and she took a long time
in there with very little urine. Should I be concerned?

She has a urinary tract infection and needs some clavamox from your vet. They
will urinate in other areas to "tell" you, "show" you that they are sick.

Old October 16th 03, 10:15 PM
Gail

YOu should be concerned. Sounds like a urinary tract infection. Take her to
the vet ASAP. Blockages can cause death.
Gail
om...

Old October 16th 03, 11:07 PM
Alison

Hi ,
It sounds like your cat could have cystitis . Stress brings it on and
your cat has been stressed by the move and then the house being
sprayed bringing new scents.
My cat suffers from this and she gets growly and aggressive when
picked up because she is in pain .
Please get the vet to check your cat as soon as possible .

--
Alison