Grrr, feeding problem

Old December 13th 05, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Grrr, feeding problem

Won't go thru the whole thing again, but a few weeks ago the vet put the cat
on K/D. I bought some canned and dry and started trying to get him to eat
it. He didn't seem to take to the canned and after advice here against the
k/d decided to try maybe some S/D and Iams that has less phos. in it over
his original diet. He seemed to like the k/d dry and I kept feeding him a
little at nite to use it up. Now he gets real excited over the k/d dry when
I put it in the bowl. Now after a couple weeks he's decided he isn't
interested in the S/D or Iams. Just wants the k/d dry. So for the heck of it
I put down some of the k/d canned today after him not eating much if any of
his breakfast and lunch of s/d, and he scarfes it up. So he likes it now??So
What to do? Guess I'll see the vet this weekend and see if I can get some of
the g/d to feed him since the opinion is that it's better for the cat than
the k/d. Cats can be so frustrating. Gotta get something going here.

--
Paul O.

Old December 13th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Cat do this....

because they can!

My cat goes mad for one particular food for a few weeks then turns her nose
up at it all of a sudden and we go onto something else.

chas

Old December 13th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"chas" wrote in message
Cat do this....

because they can!

My cat goes mad for one particular food for a few weeks then turns her
nose up at it all of a sudden and we go onto something else.

chas
Yep I guess, this morning he would have nothing to do with the k/d, but
still likes the k/d dry. Still need to find something for him that's better
than his original diet as far as the phos. goes and something a little
better for protein than the k/d.

--
Paul O.
My sig line is my disclaimer to any advice given

Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats
Learning more every day, but still clueless

Old December 14th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

fast your cat

Old December 14th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I really think x/d would be a better choice than SD regular diets because
its moderate in protein, low in phosphorus and also low in acidity. X/d is
almost identical to k/d in acidity.

Even though I think k/d is too low in protein for a cat in early-stage CRF,
it would probably be ok for your cat since he really likes it and will
probably eat enough of it to provide a safety margin of protein. You'd just
have to keep a close watch on his weight for early signs of loss.

Phil

Old December 15th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

I really think x/d would be a better choice than SD regular diets because
its moderate in protein, low in phosphorus and also low in acidity. X/d
is
almost identical to k/d in acidity.

Even though I think k/d is too low in protein for a cat in early-stage
CRF,
it would probably be ok for your cat since he really likes it and will
probably eat enough of it to provide a safety margin of protein. You'd
just
have to keep a close watch on his weight for early signs of loss.

Phil

I want to try and get some x/d this weekend. For the k/d I'm not sure how
much would be enough. What I have wondered tho, is on his original diet,
Nutro in the pouch he was eating about 8 1/2 - 9 ounces a day. Now with the
k/d, s/d and Iams, whichever he decides he wants on a particular day, I
only feed him about 5 - 6 ounces including 1 ounce of k/d dry late in the
evening. I'm wondering if these are a more complete food compared to the
pouch since he seems to be happy with this lesser amount. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Old December 16th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
. net...

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

I really think x/d would be a better choice than SD regular diets

because
its moderate in protein, low in phosphorus and also low in acidity. X/d
is
almost identical to k/d in acidity.

Even though I think k/d is too low in protein for a cat in early-stage
CRF,
it would probably be ok for your cat since he really likes it and will
probably eat enough of it to provide a safety margin of protein. You'd
just
have to keep a close watch on his weight for early signs of loss.

Phil

I want to try and get some x/d this weekend.

Sounds like a good move. I'd be more concerned about restricting acidity
and phosphorus, right now, than restricting protein. Phosphorus restriction
is more important than protein restriction because phosphorus retention and
hyperparathyroidism can occur in renal cats *before* serum phosphorus
concentrations rise above normal.

For the k/d I'm not sure how
much would be enough.

Neither am I. The problem is k/d is energy-dense (477 kcal/cup) and
protein-poor (6.7 g/100 kcal). So, I don't know if he could eat the volume
of food necessary to take in enough protein before he reaches satiety.

Hill's should make two versions of k/d- one for stage 1-3 that contains a
little more protein and one for stage 3 and 4 CRF. Cats have a higher
protein requirement than dogs and can't adapt to a low protein intake. If
they can't get enough protein from their diet, cats will start to metabolize
body muscle proteins. That's why so many renal cats deteriorate and look
emaciated- because of muscle wasting. Protein deficiency also results in an
impaired immunological response and reduced resistance to infection and
reduced hemoglobin production that leads to anemia. Protein restriction in
cats is very tricky business.

What I have wondered tho, is on his original diet,
Nutro in the pouch he was eating about 8 1/2 - 9 ounces a day.

Ever since Nutro went off fixed-formulation and onto least-cost formulation,
I haven't had a clue about the nutritional values of their diets because
they vary so much from batch to batch. The phosphorus and calcium levels in
all Nutro diets were rising steadily for a few years before Nutro pulled the
typical analyses from their website. High P and Ca contents in a cat food
are usually a sign of poor quality meat (more ground up bone-less actual
meat). Taking him off Nutro is one of the best things you can do for him!
Believe it or not, I was strong proponent of Nutro years ago- until they
changed their formulation.

Now with the
k/d, s/d and Iams,

Actually, Iams Ocean Fish & Rice isn't too bad- about .75% phosphorus (DMB).

whichever he decides he wants on a particular day, I
only feed him about 5 - 6 ounces including 1 ounce of k/d dry late in the
evening. I'm wondering if these are a more complete food compared to the
pouch since he seems to be happy with this lesser amount.

Could be. Cats generally eat to meet their energy needs- when they've met
them, cats usually stop eating- unless their satiety cues are overridden by
exceptionally palatable diets or some behavioral problem.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old December 16th 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

"Paul O." wrote in message
. net...

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Thanks Phil. Did some snipping here, hope I didn't muck it up to bad. I
have just one other obersavation. Seems that since he has been eating the
s/d and Iams, he seems to be more energenic and playful, specially just
after eating.

--
Paul O.