No Help Available For Ferals?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 04, 07:09 PM
Robyn

Default No Help Available For Ferals?

Hi,
This is more of a vent than anything else, and this group seems like
the right place for it. Who knows, maybe you guys can offer suggestions.
I've just spent my entire morning trying to get trapping and spay/neuter
information for the 4 feral cats (all one litter) that came along with
the house we just bought. I don't mind feeding the cats and having them
around, but the females just had their first heat, and are most likely
already pregnant. The mother of this group, after disappearing for a
long time, has also reappeared and is obviously nursing a new litter.
(Whole other problem, but one thing at a time.)

Called the Humane Society, they said to call Wildlife Care, Wildlife
Care said to call the Humane Society, who then said it just wasn't their
problem because the cats weren't pets and to call Animal control. Animal
Control said it wasn't their problem unless I wanted to trap the cats
myself, which I can't do. They then offered to rent me a trap for a $100
deposit + rent, which I don't have. (Even if I did trap them, they just
wanted to haul them off to be euthanized, which isn't an option.) I flat
out asked the guy at Animal Control if no one cared if these 4 cats just
bred themselves into the hundreds, and he said no. (NOT kidding.)

So the long and short of it is, no one will even discuss the matter
unless I pay a fee and deliver the cats to them. These things are
totally wild. Even if I could afford the $250 or so the entire
undertaking would cost, and manage to trap them, what do I do with them
until the vet appointment? No one I've asked seems to have answers. I've
already adopted the runt from this group. He's pretty wild, but likes
living in the house and gets along well with my other 3 cats. I wish I
could take them all in, but they're just too wild, and I don't have any
more room. The 4 I have now are a bit much at times. :-)

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I guess I need to get back on the
phone and try a few more places. It's just unreal that all these
organizations that talk about how much they want to help unwanted
animals lose interest when you actually ask them for assistance. But
there's got to be some place that helps with these things. Suggestions
welcome. Wish me luck. :-)

Robyn
--
To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch