What happened to this group?

Old September 12th 09, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

Default What happened to this group?

I hate the term "thin skinned" Some have gotten enough abused over the
years that they try and find a group where ideas are given a chance, even
if not quite presented in the "right" way. This group is supposed to be
about the animals, not just one persons opinion. I have been called enough
names ands sworn at, by someone very ill, over the last few years to last
the rest of my life. Don't know why it is necessary to talk that way to
people. Nice is not a dirty word.

"Petzl" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 05:44:55 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

wrote in message
"Petzl" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:08:20 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Sure has been quiet.
"MLB" wrote in message

It seems to have expired. MLB

ISP's are shutting down their news servers often without warning)
aside from google groups there are free ones (for how long?)
http://www.eternal-september.org/
text only

I pay US$10 a year for this one (text only)
https://news.individual.net/

--
Petzl
What happens with Moslems and Aircraft

It doesn't help when a new poster, just feeling out the group by asking
question, gets a load of abusive name calling and swearing chucked at
them. One or two people have killed the group with this viciousness. It
just makes people delete the NG after the first post. In fact for a lot,
their first post is their last. All because of this nasty attitude.

Usenet is not for pussies. Pussy.

Some people are thin skinned
I've been to many different groups anf it's normal to rub someone the
wrong way
There is always the plonk key

Petzl

Old September 12th 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message

It seems to have expired. MLB

ISP's are shutting down their news servers often without warning)
aside from google groups there are free ones (for how long?)
http://www.eternal-september.org/
text only

I pay US$10 a year for this one (text only)
https://news.individual.net/

--
Petzl
What happens with Moslems and Aircraft
Pays to keep Moslems away from Airports
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_ko5jVMBo&hl=un

It doesn't help when a new poster, just feeling out the group by asking a
question, gets a load of abusive name calling and swearing chucked at
them. One or two people have killed the group with this viciousness. It
just makes people delete the NG after the first post. In fact for a lot,
their first post is their last. All because of this nasty attitude.

Usenet is not for pussies. Pussy.

I see, you use Usenet as a way of releasing your stress. Maybe your to
scared to shout at real live people.
This is 'supposed to be about cats. why the nasty attitude?
This is what's killing your group. It only take 1 bad apple to spoil the
barrel. Can you not go to a Usenet augment NG where you can squabble to your
hearts content?

Old September 12th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I inquired of someone knowledgeable and was told that somebody probably got
insulted by someone else in this group and so turned a bunch of spam on the
group. The individual constantly changes ISP #s so can't be traced. You've
got to figure they'll get tired of their game and eventually quit. It's
slowing up already. Then the group will come back.

Most people who get offended or insulted by another poster in the group just
move on to the next post. If you can't do that, then don't go on news
groups.

Barb

Old September 12th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message

[...]

Exactly. What I normally get upset about is the folks who come in here with
a sick or injured cat and have not/will not take it to the vet, and those
who allow their animals outside where they can get injured, and argue that
they must "be fwee." That kind of crap.

Old September 12th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message

It seems to have expired. MLB

ISP's are shutting down their news servers often without warning)
aside from google groups there are free ones (for how long?)
http://www.eternal-september.org/
text only

I pay US$10 a year for this one (text only)
https://news.individual.net/

--
Petzl
What happens with Moslems and Aircraft
Pays to keep Moslems away from Airports
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_ko5jVMBo&hl=un

It doesn't help when a new poster, just feeling out the group by asking
a question, gets a load of abusive name calling and swearing chucked at
them. One or two people have killed the group with this viciousness. It
just makes people delete the NG after the first post. In fact for a lot,
their first post is their last. All because of this nasty attitude.

Usenet is not for pussies. Pussy.

I see, you use Usenet as a way of releasing your stress. Maybe your to
scared to shout at real live people.
This is 'supposed to be about cats. why the nasty attitude?
This is what's killing your group. It only take 1 bad apple to spoil the
barrel. Can you not go to a Usenet augment NG where you can squabble to
your hearts content?

I am just like this in real life. I have a great time. No pussies like you
as far as the eye can see. Grow up, or go use moderated groups, pussyboy.

Old September 12th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda Boucher

I don't know what happen to this group but all i get his e-mails from
people selling cheap stuff.. i keep adding them to my block sender list
but i still keep getting the messages..
how can i stop this
Linda

It seems to have expired. MLB

Verizon is the latest to drop usenet and with each isp
bailout, some usenet users are lost 'cuz they can't/won't
deal with subscribing to some other news server (some of
which are free). It's getting pretty quiet on usenet.

I hate to see usenet die away ... I have learned a great
deal from discussions carried on. The isp's are pumping up
their profit by doing this. I guess we shouldn't be
surprised to see a no-advertising service disappear.

Old September 12th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryce[_2_]

Linda Boucher wrote:

I don't know what happen to this group but all i get his
e-mails from
people selling cheap stuff.. i keep adding them to my
block sender list but i still keep getting the messages..
how can i stop this
Linda

It seems to have expired. MLB

Verizon is the latest to drop usenet and with each isp
bailout, some usenet users are lost 'cuz they can't/won't
deal with subscribing to some other news server (some of
which are free). It's getting pretty quiet on usenet.

I hate to see usenet die away ... I have learned a great
deal from discussions carried on. The isp's are pumping
up
their profit by doing this. I guess we shouldn't be
surprised to see a no-advertising service disappear.

Rejecting everything from googlegroups.com will eliminate
most of the spam ... as well as a few non-spam posts from
well-meaning but uninformed users. Google does little or
nothing to stem the flow of Chinese spam. Why bother? It
isn't harming Google's business.

By the way: top-posting a reply is OK for e-mail, but your
reply to a usenet post should be at the bottom. Makes it
much easier to follow if several add their two-cents to a
message.
Old September 13th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:13:36 -0400, "Barb"
wrote:

I inquired of someone knowledgeable and was told that somebody probably got
insulted by someone else in this group and so turned a bunch of spam on the
group. The individual constantly changes ISP #s so can't be traced. You've
got to figure they'll get tired of their game and eventually quit. It's
slowing up already. Then the group will come back.

Most people who get offended or insulted by another poster in the group just
move on to the next post. If you can't do that, then don't go on news
groups.

Barb

There are nuts out there who use programs to flood groups with gibber
Individual.net my News provider filter it out (I don't see it)

Petzl
Old September 13th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
El Kot

Morgoth Bauglir wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Sure has been quiet.
"MLB" wrote in message
It seems to have expired. MLB

I don't know what you're seeing, but I'm getting hundreds of spam messages
for every legitimate message in this group.

And it's unique to this group - it's not happening in others I read.

Heh. One would think giganews would have better spam protection,
especially if you're paying. Eternal-september (free) filters it pretty
much away - I see almost no spam.

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with the nono.