Sleep and Other Purrs Needed (long)

Old January 12th 05, 09:45 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Howard Berkowitz penned:

Better you than me. My attitude has always been that I can fall down in the
snow quite nicely, thank you, without the mechanical assistance of skis. On
a practical matter, while my heart problems normally cause no symptoms, I
simply can't exercise in the cold without quickly (a couple of minutes)
becoming exhausted. It's too bad, as I much prefer cold to hot weather.

In soft snow, falling can be part of the fun, but for the most part I stay
upright =P

I'm sorry about your heart problems. I'd imagine that would get frustrating.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Jo Firey

On 2005-01-12, Yowie penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I believe there's a chemical reaction between sugar and milk that
makes you sleepy. Mom used to give me warm milk with a little sugar
in it to help me sleep.

I thought that the sweetened milk thing was something deep in our
subconcious from the days of our infancy when we'd get nice warm,
quite sweet milk in our mother's arms and feel all cuddly and content
and sleepy.

Yowie

Is breast milk sweet? I'm not volunteering to find out!

I tried to google for sugar + milk + sleep. Didn't get anything
definitive.
I did find this, though:

Back in ancient times before you could buy infant formula, you made your own
with a combination of evaporated milk, karo syrup, and water.

The evaporated milk is more sterile, cheaper and more stable than fresh
milk, and you dilute it to where it has more water than fresh milk.

We fed our daughter evaporated milk and water after she outgrew formula to
avoid the problems that can come with fresh whole milk.

Jo

Old January 13th 05, 09:22 PM
Yowie

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 12 Jan 2005 04:05:48p, Yowie wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

And I can definately say that breast milk is different for each
child. Cary was a big bub, and my breast milk was quite thin for
most of the feed, and had an almost bluish tinge like skim milk
does. But my friend who had a premmie baby had distinctly yellow
milk - lots and lots of cream in that stuff - because her baby
need to grow and fatten up *alot* compared to Cary.

That is absolutely fascinating! We need an experiment here. One to
see if the same mom can produce different consistencies of breast
milk. When will you have a second child?

Whenever it happens. We aren't actively preventing another from coming
along, but on the same token we don't seem to find the time or energy to
actively try to make one either :-). So, much like how Cary came to us, we
are actually leaving the decision of whether or not there's a second Yowlet
to a Higher Power. At least, until I turn 40 anyway. After that, I don't
think I'll be willing to go through it all again.

Yowie

Old January 14th 05, 11:18 PM
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Second is (allegedly) much easier than the first. My brother had to deliver
his second child himself (on the phone to emergency services) in the
bathroom.
Total labour, half an hour. Child was 8lb 13oz, no stitches required.
That was my nephew, Nathan, now aged 5.

Tweed

Old January 23rd 05, 10:45 PM
John F. Eldredge