Iceland volcano

Old April 16th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Iceland volcano

"Marina" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
wrote:
Anyone getting ash or other effects from the volano? Jack,
Marina, Christine? I read that many flights in that region are
grounded due
to the ash.

No ash here. It has rained during the night, but no ash.

OK, amend that. I just looked outside before I wrote that, but
then I
looked at a newspaper. Flights are grounded, maybe for days.
Graphics
over the ash clouds:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

Trust me. it will do more than the obvious of etching the paint on
motor vehicles, even a small amount in the air can destroy an
engine.

Jo

Old April 16th 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

Default Iceland volcano -OT-

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
There was a reader's digest story many years ago about a 747
that flew
through volcanic ash and all four engines stopped. It had to
glide
(over a mountain range) to reach a place to land. Also, the
ash abraded
the windshield so it was almost impossible to see through it.
The pilot
did manage to restart two of the engines. This was a true
story.
---
Yes and I think it was that (now retired) pilot who was on UK
TV today saying how he would not wish to try that again.

Indeed he was - Captain Moody. For more on that story, see

MatSav

Old April 16th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

16.4.2010 5:50, Marina kirjoitti:
Marina wrote:
wrote:
Anyone getting ash or other effects from the volano? Jack, Marina,
Christine? I read that many flights in that region are grounded due
to the ash.

No ash here. It has rained during the night, but no ash.

OK, amend that. I just looked outside before I wrote that, but then I
looked at a newspaper. Flights are grounded, maybe for days. Graphics
over the ash clouds:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

The last time that particular volcano erupted was in 1821 or something
like that, and it kept on spewing ash for about two years!!
I foresee "a few" bankrupt airlines if it keeps up for two years this
time too...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 17th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

The pictures of it on Yahoo News are scary...OMG..the ash has covered so
much of the planet and I just heard that flights here in Seattle are being
affected by the volcanic ash.
Purrs and prayers offered for those who need them.
Love
Kyla

Old April 17th 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 17 Apr, 01:29, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
The pictures of it on Yahoo News are scary...OMG..the ash has covered so
much of the planet and I just heard that flights here in Seattle are being
affected by the volcanic ash.
Purrs and prayers offered for those who need them.
Love
Kyla

The good news (for non-Icelanders, at least) is that the stuff that's
coming out of the volcano now is coming out much less explosively and
not getting so high in the atmosphere, all the new stuff is expected
to settle on Iceland and in the North Atlantic before it reaches the
rest of Europe, so we 'only' have the existing cloud to worry about.

Atmospheric physicists are working very hard to plot where the cloud
is, and trying to figure out when and where flights can take place.

Jeanette
Old April 17th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

---MIKE--- wrote:
There was a reader's digest story many years ago about a 747 that flew
through volcanic ash and all four engines stopped. It had to glide
(over a mountain range) to reach a place to land. Also, the ash abraded
the windshield so it was almost impossible to see through it. The pilot
did manage to restart two of the engines. This was a true story.

I saw that plane on the ground at Heathrow Airport after that, I think
it was 1983, all the front widows were opaque and a lot of the paint was
stripped off. I really had to admire the pilot for landing safely.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old April 17th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:
wrote:
Anyone getting ash or other effects from the volano? Jack, Marina,
Christine? I read that many flights in that region are grounded due
to the ash.

No ash here. It has rained during the night, but no ash.

OK, amend that. I just looked outside before I wrote that, but then I
looked at a newspaper. Flights are grounded, maybe for days. Graphics
over the ash clouds:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

The last time that particular volcano erupted was in 1821 or something
like that, and it kept on spewing ash for about two years!!
I foresee "a few" bankrupt airlines if it keeps up for two years this
time too...

If it lasts a long time, no doubt that will strengthen the case for
building more high speed rail lines. Given the choice I would prefer to
travel by train, at least there's something to see out of the window.