Iceland volcano

Old April 17th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Iceland volcano -OT-

That was on TV the other night. The people that are getting mad because
they won't fly through and of that stuff just amaze me.
"Adrian" wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:
There was a reader's digest story many years ago about a 747 that flew
through volcanic ash and all four engines stopped. It had to glide
(over a mountain range) to reach a place to land. Also, the ash abraded
the windshield so it was almost impossible to see through it. The pilot
did manage to restart two of the engines. This was a true story.

I saw that plane on the ground at Heathrow Airport after that, I think it
was 1983, all the front widows were opaque and a lot of the paint was
stripped off. I really had to admire the pilot for landing safely.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 17th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Iceland volcano

There is another bigger volcano near this one that is active and, they
expect to belch forth some of it's contents.
"Adrian" wrote in message
Christine BA wrote:
16.4.2010 5:50, Marina kirjoitti:
Marina wrote:
wrote:
Anyone getting ash or other effects from the volano? Jack, Marina,
Christine? I read that many flights in that region are grounded due
to the ash.

No ash here. It has rained during the night, but no ash.

OK, amend that. I just looked outside before I wrote that, but then I
looked at a newspaper. Flights are grounded, maybe for days. Graphics
over the ash clouds:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

The last time that particular volcano erupted was in 1821 or something
like that, and it kept on spewing ash for about two years!!
I foresee "a few" bankrupt airlines if it keeps up for two years this
time too...

If it lasts a long time, no doubt that will strengthen the case for
building more high speed rail lines. Given the choice I would prefer to
travel by train, at least there's something to see out of the window.

Old April 17th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

On 17 Apr, 01:29, "Kyla =^..^="
The pictures of it on Yahoo News are scary...OMG..the ash has covered so
much of the planet and I just heard that flights here in Seattle are
being
affected by the volcanic ash.
Purrs and prayers offered for those who need them.
Love
Kyla

The good news (for non-Icelanders, at least) is that the stuff that's
coming out of the volcano now is coming out much less explosively and
not getting so high in the atmosphere, all the new stuff is expected
to settle on Iceland and in the North Atlantic before it reaches the
rest of Europe, so we 'only' have the existing cloud to worry about.

Atmospheric physicists are working very hard to plot where the cloud
is, and trying to figure out when and where flights can take place.

Jeanette

Wow..that is still scary tho. When I looked at the 'slideshow' I could see
the little homes in the foreground and thought how terrified the people
there must be.
Who can tell where the cloud is and when the flights will be..and this
around the time China had the massive EQ too.
I can see a volcano (Mt Rainier) from my livingroom window.
Not too far from Mt Saint Helens... here.
Love
Kyla

Old April 17th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

Those people are idiots, and in Seattle, they recently put up a light rail
system that you won't catch me taking either..nope. Love, Kyla
"Granby"

Old April 17th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Yes, it amazes me too. I know people are anxious to get home or wherever
they were going, but is it really worth risking their lives?

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 17th 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

Found out hw to pronounce the volcano's name..

Southern Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) volcano
began erupting for the second time in a month Wednesday, sending ash several
miles (kilometers) into the air.

Love
Kyla

Old April 17th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

Well, here's a choice
1. Fly through volcanic ash and die as your plane comes down
2. Wait getting irritated at the airport as there is a delay.

No brainer.
Tweed

Old April 17th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Marina wrote:
wrote:
Anyone getting ash or other effects from the volano? Jack, Marina,
Christine? I read that many flights in that region are grounded due
to the ash.

No ash here. It has rained during the night, but no ash.

OK, amend that. I just looked outside before I wrote that, but then I
looked at a newspaper. Flights are grounded, maybe for days. Graphics
over the ash clouds:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

The last time that particular volcano erupted was in 1821 or something
like that, and it kept on spewing ash for about two years!!
I foresee "a few" bankrupt airlines if it keeps up for two years this
time too...

More serious effects than that, probably! Quite a large portion of the
world's freight travels by air (and not just luxury goods like
refrigerated foods).

Old April 17th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's OK for travel from the UK to the Continent, but SFAIK, there are
no plans for a trans-Atlantic tunnel from the Western Hemisphere! ;-)