Must see movie trailer- The Paw Project anti-declawing documentary

Old October 30th 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Must see movie trailer- The Paw Project anti-declawing documentary

m...

Christina Websell wrote:

I disagree with docking for fashion, like rotties and dobermans, boxers
but if you have a working spaniel they wag so much whilst working that
their long tails would get terribly damaged.
I don't support docking normally, but I do for for spaniels that go out
on shooting expeditions.

Why? Foxhounds seem to survive hunting just fine with their tails intact!

Spaniels go into deep cover to flush game out for the gun. The problem is
the wagging. If you sent a working spaniel with a big tail into that, its
tail would get damaged. It would bleed and because spaniels are cheerful
dogs in the home too, they wag their tails against the furniture and
continually open up that wound. They end up having their tails amputated
anyway which is more serious operation as adults.
It's much better for a spaniel pup destined for working to have its tail
docked at 3 days old. IME. Vets agree (usually)

Old October 30th 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Yes, I agree but the main problem is that your vets agree to do it. If they
refused, like our vets do, it wouldn't get done, would it?

Isn't it illegal in the UK? That's probably one reason your vets don't do it.
(I'm not saying it's the only reason.) There are certainly vets in the US
who won't do it. It's just not a law.

Then maybe the people who value their furniture over their cat's welfare
would get one, which can only be a good thing.
I've never had much furniture damage from having cats with all their claws.
KFC never did, but Boyfie did scratch the upright of one of my upholstered
chairs and damaged it. It was always because he got frustrated when I told
him "no, it's not time for your food yet." He thought that when I ignored
his subtle hints, scratching the chair would make me believe he was dying of
starvation.
I told him off for doing it, so now he doesn't. He scratches my kitchen rug
instead. It's an "I told you twice what I wanted and now this is serious"
thing. He also uses this strategy if I don't notice he's asked silently at
the back door to go out for toilet duties. Scratching the rug always works,
it means "I really mean this.." and I don't mind about the rug;-)

He must be confused though, that it works when he wants to go out and
you haven't noticed, but it doesn't work when he's trying to get some
food from you and (he thinks) you haven't noticed. Not that you should
change anything, I just thought that was funny. It's good that he has an
object that he can vent his frustrations on, that you don't value very
much.

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call
it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling
the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".

-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"