It's not him

Old May 31st 13, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default It's not him

jmcquown wrote:
On 5/30/2013 4:05 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Contrary to some of the opinions expressed by Americans, here, I think
the UK may be MORE concerned with "hygiene" on their side of the pond -
they refuse to import "genetically modified" produce from the US,
whereas in this country Monsanto is waging an all-out war to prevent
legislation requiring such products be labeled!

Please, let's don't go down the political road.

Jill

Why not? Whether you regard the practice as good or bad, shouldn't we
be allowed to CHOOSE? Do you WANT to purchase genetically modified
produce without knowing it? (Seems to me that's as much a matter of
"hygiene" as your carping about "washed" and "unwashed" eggs!)
Old May 31st 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2013 3:47 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
There's no point in continuing the discussion. There are many reasons
why there are differences in egg handling in the US and the UK. The
fact remains there are differences. Talking about it isn't going to
change anything. I can't believe all this came out of my mentioning the
refrigerator. LOL

Jill

i love it when a post about one thing develops into a conversation about
something else. It's what normally happens if you're just chatting. How
often have you wondered how you got onto a particular subject when
chatting to friends?

Judith

Happens all the time in conversation. I told John we call this "thread
drift". He loves that term!

Jill
Old May 31st 13, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 5/29/2013 8:07 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

It was not a dirty egg. It was one that it was fine to eat
months later because it still had the bloom on. Never wash eggs
unless you eat them within a week or so.

I keep eggs for more than a week. Uncooked they last about 2 weeks,
maybe longer. I usually hard-boil them, and then they last a lot
longer.

Of course I keep them in the refrigerator. ;-)

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I used to know a man who would halt a group conversation every so often,
just to trace how we got from one subject to the one currently under
discussion. It was a lot of fun, but startled people who didn't know him.

Joy

Old May 31st 13, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2013 4:07 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
On 5/30/2013 4:05 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Contrary to some of the opinions expressed by Americans, here, I think
the UK may be MORE concerned with "hygiene" on their side of the pond -
they refuse to import "genetically modified" produce from the US,
whereas in this country Monsanto is waging an all-out war to prevent
legislation requiring such products be labeled!

Please, let's don't go down the political road.

Jill

Why not? Whether you regard the practice as good or bad, shouldn't we
be allowed to CHOOSE? Do you WANT to purchase genetically modified
produce without knowing it? (Seems to me that's as much a matter of
"hygiene" as your carping about "washed" and "unwashed" eggs!)

Because this isn't a political newsgroup. I wasn't *carping* about
anything. I mentioned eggs in the US require refrigeration. I didn't
drag politics into it.

Jill
Old May 31st 13, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

m...

jmcquown wrote:
On 5/30/2013 4:05 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Contrary to some of the opinions expressed by Americans, here, I think
the UK may be MORE concerned with "hygiene" on their side of the pond -
they refuse to import "genetically modified" produce from the US,
whereas in this country Monsanto is waging an all-out war to prevent
legislation requiring such products be labeled!

Please, let's don't go down the political road.

Jill

Why not? Whether you regard the practice as good or bad, shouldn't we be
allowed to CHOOSE? Do you WANT to purchase genetically modified produce
without knowing it? (Seems to me that's as much a matter of "hygiene" as
your carping about "washed" and "unwashed" eggs!)

I don't see that it has anything to do with hygiene. That involves
cleanliness and avoiding contamination or infection. Genetic modification
is an entirely different subject, about which many people feel very
strongly.

I believe Jill meant that she'd rather keep this newsgroup on topic, or at
least on topics that don't arouse strong negative feelings. I heartily
concur. I have seen a very friendly newsgroup totally destroyed by the
introduction of politics.

Joy

Old May 31st 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2013 5:35 PM, Joy wrote:
m...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Absolutely right, Joy. There are newsgroups if she wants to discuss
that sort of thing.

OB Cats: Persia is enjoying the last sunshine puddle of the day in the
dining room.

Jill
Old May 31st 13, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I believe Jill meant that she'd rather keep this newsgroup on topic, or at
least on topics that don't arouse strong negative feelings.

That's the clincher: strong feelings. We go off-topic here all the time.
So that's not the real problem. It's only when a topic can cause angry
arguments that people object to having it here.

I don't feel as strongly (speaking of strong feelings) about that rule
myself and I don't mind the occasional political discussion, or even
occasional disagreements, as long as people can keep from devolving into
rudeness and abuse.

As far as Evelyn's comment goes, it's hard to believe that subject is
even controversial. I know there are plenty of people who don't think
GMOs are dangerous, or simply don't care, and that's their business.
But are there really people who feel *so strongly* about the ability to
remain unaware of what's in their food that they want to deny that
knowledge to everyone? I mean other than the people who sell the stuff?
Seriously, it's hard to believe this is something that people would
argue about...

--
Joyce

I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions
Old June 1st 13, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Joy wrote:
m...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Okay, I stand corrected. (However, I'm far more concerned about the
health risks of undeclared genetic modifications to my produce than I am
about a little chicken poop on eggshells!)
Old June 2nd 13, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/31/2013 5:33 PM, Joy wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message

i love it when a post about one thing develops into a conversation about
something else. It's what normally happens if you're just chatting. How
often have you wondered how you got onto a particular subject when
chatting to friends?

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I used to know a man who would halt a group conversation every so often,
just to trace how we got from one subject to the one currently under
discussion. It was a lot of fun, but startled people who didn't know him.

Joy

LOL John and I do that occasionally. We also keep a tablet nearby and
jot a lot of silly notes about things we've talked about. Pure stream
of consciousness type stuff. It's fun later to try to figure out how
the heck we got on a particular subject. But then, we're a little
strange.

Jill