Wild stray with URI needs help

Old March 11th 04, 09:45 AM
Mike

Default Wild stray with URI needs help

I have a sick cat that came here as stray a few months ago. I think he
has an URI but there is no way in heck I can get him to a vet. He is
extremely skittish and wild. He will only let me near him; he runs
away from other people or will try to bite them. If I put him in a cat
carrier, he will tear me up. I can't get any of the vets in the area
to give me something to calm him down with so I can bring him in. They
won't give me any meds to give him unless I bring him in. Are there
any OTC people medications I can give him to help him? I'm going to
try using a saline solution to help him breathe better so he'll eat.
He wouldn't eat the 9 Lives tuna I put out, which is the smelliest
food I could find. What else can I do for him? It's taken months for
him to be able to trust me and I don't want to screw that up because
he might runaway and no one else around here cares enough to take care
of a sick stray cat.
Old March 11th 04, 02:47 PM
Gail

Try posting this on alt.med.vererinary. Try warming up the cat food so he
can better smell it.
Gail
om...

Old March 11th 04, 09:28 PM
Debra Berry

Hi Mike,

Borrow a humane trap from your local Humane Society, Animal
Shelter, or SPCA. The trap is like a box/cage. You set the catch
to keep the door open, put the food in it, and when the cat
enters to eat the food, the door closes. No injury to the cat.
They use these traps for trap-spay/neuter-release operations
at feral cat colonies.

Just take the trap, with the cat in it, to the vet and they
should be able to give the cat an injection through the
side of the trap. Talk with you vet about it first.

Debbie

Old March 11th 04, 09:36 PM
Sharon Talbert

Perhaps if you reveal where you are (city/state), a local rescuer could
lend a paw.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Seattle

Old March 12th 04, 10:06 AM
IBen Getiner

(Mike) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Why don't you just leave him alone? He obviously doesn't want your
help. Some creatures are just that way. They're solitary and they hate
you no matter what you try to do. You should learn how to take a hint
because he sure is giving them.
You're the type of person who would take the lobster that someone
sent you via a lobstergram and let it go in a fresh water pond in the
dead of winter. And you'd think you were doing a good deed. Don't
people like you have anything better to do?

IBen G.

Old March 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Willows

Why don't you just leave him alone? He obviously doesn't want your
help. Some creatures are just that way. They're solitary and they hate
you no matter what you try to do. You should learn how to take a hint
because he sure is giving them.

Hmm spells like a troll. This cat will probably die if you don't help
him. You're doing the right thing but you do need a trap, yes the trap
will stress him he'll get over it, once you catch him throw a blanket
over the trap it will calm him down. Trap him and get him to a vet he
needs to be treated if he's ill enough to stop eating you'll probably
loose him if you don't get him some help.