Sleep and Other Purrs Needed (long)

Old January 9th 05, 06:35 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:45:13 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Please allow me a little venting and a few more purr requests.

Soothing purrs for sleep, health and security.

Theresa
Old January 9th 05, 07:32 PM
Mathew Kagis

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .

BIG SNIP

Jill, sorry to hear about your problems... I've been in a similar situation,
there's no stress quite like money stress... Worse than a monkey on your
back... more like a ferret who won't stop nibbling.

On the sleep thing, you may be developing a tolerance to Valerian... Try:
Skullcap, Vervain, Lemon Balm &/or Oatstraw... The oatstraw is good as a
general stress reliever too. As you're obviously on a budget, capsules may
be a little pricey... Getting small ammounts of the raw herb is fairly cheap
& you can make tea.
1tsp of herb to 1 cup boiling water, steep for 20 min & consume... You can
make this stuff in large batches, store it in the fridge & mix it with
whatever other liquid you like.

Hope this helps, purrs to you.
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old January 9th 05, 07:36 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , jmcquown at
wrote on 1/9/05 11:37AM:

Christine Burel wrote:
Jill, I can certainly see why you're having trouble sleeping -- I'm so
sorry. I might suggest you try taking over-the-counter Benadryl (not
the brand name, but the generic version -- think it is called
diphenhydramine)

Yep, but it dries up my sinuses and causes nosebleeds. (Am I just full of
problems or what?!)

On the job front, have you thought about signing up with a temporary
agency like Olsen's or Norell? I often did that inbetween jobs
because I could make some money but also set up interviews, and also
check out what some companies/industries were like.

I have. In fact, I was contacted by a couple of temp agencies due to my
resume on Monster. The problem with that is, I (unforunately) locked myself
into a specific skill-set. They were contacting me about jobs I know
nothing about and have no prior acquaintence with.

I remember years ago signing up with a temp agency (Pat Parker, IIRC). At
that time I was looking for secretarial or receptionist work - keep in mind,
this was pre-computers or word processors on every desk. Typewriters and
calculators. This guy working there says to me, "Could you be licensed to
carry a gun?" "Yes, but why?" He thought I'd be just perfect for a listing
for a private detective. I gather he'd watched the 'Charlie's Angels' TV
show. No thanks! LOL Maybe that just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Private detective... yeah, right.

Jill

Well, that's pretty unusual. I got my permanent job through Kelly Girls. I
was fortunate and only did one before I got the one I'm on. Many companies
use temp agencies as their "headhunters" rather than advertising other ways.
I would sure give it a go if I were you.

Old January 9th 05, 08:43 PM
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bob M wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Please allow me a little venting and a few more purr requests.

I am having one heck of a time sleeping. I've always had occasional
bouts of insomnia and usually when I sense something like this
coming on I'll take a valerian root capsule about 30 minutes before
bedtime. It works (usually).

(snipped self)
So, I could use some sleep purrs. Purrs that John recovers
completely. More job purrs/financial purrs. And dirty litterbox
offerings to the people who designed "government" benefits which are
not available to a person such as myself who worked hard for 27
years but isn't entitled to squat because... well, just because.

Jill

Jill, I'm sorry you're having all those problems. Purrs and prayers
coming to you.
My brother swears by Melatonin (spelling?) He says it puts him right
to sleep.

Thank you. I tried it; when I woke up (even after cutting one of the
pills
in half) I was so groggy I could barely function. I guess I'm just not
cut
out for it.

And I'm like you in the fact that I have to use a fan even in
the winter for white noise.
I symathize with you on the govt aid. I wish I could help you out but
I'm struggling too. Just know that you're not alone.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. I really appreciate the thought.

P.S. In case you didn't get my email, thanks again for the Xmas Ecard
you sent me. Persia is a beautiful girl.

She *is* And trust me, she has plenty of food, litter, toys... she
shall
not want Neither will my lovebird, Peaches.

Purrs on the way for you, too.

Jill

My animals never wanted either, when I occasionally fell on hard times.
But, but, what is white noise? and why would you need some of it to go to
sleep?
It is totally silent here at night and totally dark. Isn't that better?
confused

Tweed

Old January 9th 05, 08:52 PM
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bob M wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you live an area which isn't quite "silent". If I don't have
something like a fan running to drown out sounds of occasional cars driving
by, or people honking horns on their autos, I wake up instantly.

I have to say, when I lived in the 'country' or if I went camping, the
sounds of the outside crickets chirruping, frogs croaking, etc., lulled me
right to sleep. Not so where I live. If there is total silence and any
sound outside intrudes, I wake up straight away. So I keep a fan running
all times of the year.

Of course I always know when Persia gets off the bed and gets back on;
that's just a fact of being owned

Jill

Old January 9th 05, 09:21 PM
Annie Wxill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yep, Victor. I tried it and it made me so completely groggy all the next
day, even with only half a capsule, I threw them out.

Jill,
I understand your problem. I do the same thing. Two things help me.
First, I got a sleep mask that blocks out all the light. It is made so that
I can open my eyes with it on, so it does not put pressure on my eyes, but
everything is dark.
Second, I use melatonin to get to sleep. It works for about four hours. I
take a very small dose. I have a time release form and a sublingual form.
I use one or the other. The sublingual puts me to sleep faster.
Maybe you took too big a dose of melatonin. I really like it because I do
not feel groggy. All it takes to wake me up is to turn on a light.
One warning: People who are on Prozac or similar medication should not take
melatonin. It can cause a serious reaction.
We are sending purrs and good wishes that your job and financial situation
have a rapid resolution. I'm sure that would also help the sleeping
problems.
What kind of work are you looking for? Maybe someone in this group knows of
an opening.
Meanwhile, have you tried temporary employment? Sometimes that can lead to
a permanent position.
Hugs,
Annie

Old January 9th 05, 09:35 PM
polonca12000

I'm so very sorry to hear you are having so many problems, no wonder you
have trouble sleeping.
We are really purring hard and sending best wishes for you to get a great
job, for your health to improve and for John to recover completely and soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Please allow me a little venting and a few more purr requests.

I am having one heck of a time sleeping. snip

Old January 9th 05, 10:17 PM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Please allow me a little venting and a few more purr requests.

I am having one heck of a time sleeping. I've always had occasional bouts
of insomnia and usually when I sense something like this coming on I'll

take
a valerian root capsule about 30 minutes before bedtime. It works
(usually). My doctor had prescribed Ambien and that worked well without
making me feel like a zombie. But since I an still unemployed and without
insurance I can't afford the prescription. (I told him about the valerian
and he saw no problem with it combined with my other medications, which he
gives me samples of whenever he has them.)

Unfortunately, lately valerian isn't working. I can't get my mind to

'turn
off' and I can't get comfortable. Last night I took two capsules but
literally only dozed, very briefly, and even when dozing was pretty much
aware of everything going on (e.g., cars driving by, the fan in my room -

can't sleep without 'white noise'). I tossed and turned to the point of
Persia moving well away from me because I was disturbing her sleep! No
matter what position I was in, my arms ached. (I haven't been formally
diagnosed but at my age I know I've got arthritis - aspirin once in the
morning and once before bed helps with that, but I ran out of aspirin.)

I'm under a great deal of stress. My unemployment insurance ceased in
November. I've had no luck finding a job even though I've been on
interviews and have 2 headhunters searching for positions for me as well

as
going out and applying myself.

My savings are exhausted. As of right now I have no idea how I'll pay my
rent for February. I had to sign another lease in December; the manager
agreed not to raise my rent due to my situation but if I hadn't signed a
lease, I'd be subject to possible monthly increases mandated by her bosses
(out of her control). Then of course there's the utility bill which will

be
due at the end of this month, my phone bill... you get the gyst.

The *fun* part of being me and flat broke is I don't qualify for any sort

of
government aid such as Medicaid, food stamps or welfare. Why? (Grrrrrr)
Because I'm single and have no dependents AND because I have an IRA.

Never
mind that I can't touch my IRA without incurring severe early withdrawal
penalties - why would I want to mess with it? If I use up that money what
happens when I do have to retire?! Ticks me off.

I'm still waiting for a determination on my SSD claim (which I'm pretty

sure
they will deny, at least on the first go-round).

I'm also still worried about John's health after his relapses following

his
surgery in December, although he says he's recovering nicely now.

So, I could use some sleep purrs. Purrs that John recovers completely.
More job purrs/financial purrs. And dirty litterbox offerings to the

people
who designed "government" benefits which are not available to a person

such
as myself who worked hard for 27 years but isn't entitled to squat
because... well, just because.

Purrs coming, Jill.

rant about social security deleted, but thanking TPTB that I live in
Australia

Yowie

Old January 9th 05, 10:23 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about Sleep and Other Purrs Needed (long):

Have you tried melatonin? My mom suffered from insomnia for years,
until she discovered it. Now she has no problem sleeping.

Yep, Victor. I tried it and it made me so completely groggy all the next
day, even with only half a capsule, I threw them out.

Maybe you had the 3mg. tablets? Those are *definitely* too much, IMO.
I find half of a 1mg. tablet the right dose [and don't have the
groggies the next day. Unisom is worse for me that way].

Old January 9th 05, 11:25 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Christine Burel wrote:
Jill, I can certainly see why you're having trouble sleeping -- I'm so
sorry. I might suggest you try taking over-the-counter Benadryl (not
the brand name, but the generic version -- think it is called
diphenhydramine)

Yep, but it dries up my sinuses and causes nosebleeds. (Am I just full
of
problems or what?!)

Some people have better luck with meclizine (trade name Bonine), which
is most often marketed for motion sickness. That particular class of
antihistamines tends to be sedating, but responses are very individual.
Neither make me especially sleepy, although a different class of
prescription antihistamine has some effect. Trade Bonine, as well as
many generics, at least are a very nice raspberry chewable tablet.
Incidentally, diphenhydramine is branded Gravol in Canada.

While they are probably more likely to cause the side effects you
dislike, if you can buy a few tablets of chlorprophenamine or
bromprophenamine, they might work. Again, it's very individual.

I myself am off tomorrow to see people in one of the medical school
psychiatry clinics, to review medications. When I talked to the head of
the clinic, he seemed very reasonable, and actually rather appreciative
that I have a technical understanding of psychopharmacology. With the
community psychiatrist I saw, I did best when I told him what to
prescribe, but was only occasionally able to talk him out of strange
tangents.

There's good and bad news about valerian. Were valerian not an herbal,
and not eligible for patent, it would be a commercial drug. There have
been well-controlled studies that it is an effective sedative and
tranquilizer, but it's not economically feasible for a US drug company
to run it through FDA approvals.

Because it does have demonstrated effectiveness, I'd be careful in
raising the dose.