[OT] Tummy ache remedies?

Old January 23rd 05, 11:38 AM
Yowie

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

snip hormonal tummy upsets

When I was preggers, these are the things I found helped me:

Never ever get hungry. Never over-eat. Just keep grazing all day - and on
salady stuff mainly. Decrease your animal protein, such as cheese, eggs and
meat - they are harder to digest than vegetable proteins.

Water crackers or other boring dry starchy stuff is your friend, especially
in the morning

Avoid caffeine like the plague

Avoid alcohol like the plague

Avoid greasy or strongly flavoured foods like the plague (garlic being a
notable exception in my case)

Be careful not to shake yourself up, or get motion sick. Keep your eyes
steady when you move around, and don't move your head too much.

Ginger biscuits are another good snack, escpecailly the really hard ones
that take alot of work to actually eat.

Keep up your fluids but don't drink large amounts at a time - like the
food, sip often rather than drink a large glass all at once. Unsweetened (or
only slightly sweetened with honey) ginger tea is great.

The general principle was to always have a small amount of very boring
easily digested stuff in the stomach. Don't make it work hard, but don't
make it wait either - that was worse.

HTH

Yowie

Old January 23rd 05, 11:41 AM
Yowie

On 2005-01-23, Seanette Blaylock penned:

I had ongoing nausea [mild] while on the Pill [one reason I switched off
it], and on one brand I had horrendous psychological side effects.

Oof! I hope this doesn't continue for me. I don't remember having any

upset
stomach when I first got on the Pill umpteen years ago, but that was a
different brand ... and I doubt they even have the same formulation.

I remember being very emotional back then, but then, I was a teenager, so

it
could easily have just been typical teenage hormones. Hard to say.

Stomach settlers [this is what works for me. YMMAPDV]: ginger ale,

candied
ginger, 7-Up, milk [sometimes], bananas.

Well, straight-up milk doesn't tend to like me, but ginger ale and 7-up

sound
like good options. Bananas? Really? Weird.

Oh, I forgot to put bananas in my list! Bananas are great!

Yowie

Old January 23rd 05, 01:59 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , mlbriggs
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:08:55 +0000, Sherry wrote:

Stomach settlers [this is what works for me. YMMAPDV]: ginger ale,
candied ginger, 7-Up, milk [sometimes], bananas.

Ack, memories. My mom's remedy for a sick stomach was 7-up and a cold
washcloth
on your neck.
I can't drink 7-up to this day. It reminds me too much of being sick.
Sherry

Guess I tend to be a worrywart, but every time I hear about repeated
stomach pain I wonder about appendicitis.

While appendicitis can be chronic, that's rare. In general, an attack
will be serious enough that you'll want medical attention for the pain.
It's not as easy to diagnose as many people believe, and, surprisingly,
it's considered desirable that 10-20% of the appendices removed by a
surgeon are normal. If the percentage is close to zero, the surgeon is
waiting too long, and may be risking much more serious complications of
delay.

An appendectomy, for surgery, is a low-risk operation, often done
laparoscopically these days. When the surgeon really isn't sure,
actually looking at the appendix may be the best course of action. While
in the belly, the surgeon can also look for other causes. Regardless of
what is found, the appendix is ALWAYS removed, so that some future
physician won't see an appendectomy scar and assume the problem can't be
appendicitis.

Recurrent pain does need evaluation. Keeping a diary of times,
mealtimes, etc., can help. It's worth noting that about 85% of ulcers
are completely curable without surgery, since a major discovery was that
most are caused by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori. H. pylori
responds to various combinations of antibiotics, which may,
interestingly, include the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol.
Old January 23rd 05, 02:00 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

1

Yeah. Crackers.

And, I repeat, crackers, not quackers. Swallowing a live, quacking duck
will neither calm your stomach nor the duck.
Old January 23rd 05, 02:30 PM
bonbon

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:22:45 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Haven't tried Tagamet ...

I was kind of fishing for more "easy and
non-medicinal" options, but I guess I should have said that up front =)

Tell your Dr. you want to try a different pill. There are many.

-bonbon

Old January 23rd 05, 02:52 PM
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
Be more specific. Are we talking about diarrhoea? Or vomiting? Or both?
The euph.. upset stomach can cover both.

Where is the TMI warning? ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
jmcquown

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article , mlbriggs
wrote:

[...]

You really should have been a doctor I think you're more "up" on this
stuff than most physicians.

Jill

Old January 23rd 05, 03:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, bonbon penned:
wrote:

Tell your Dr. you want to try a different pill. There are many.

-bonbon

It's been a week. I figure this will likely settle down within the first
month.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 23rd 05, 03:34 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, jmcquown penned:

[Howard Berkowitz wrote some interesting medical stuff ...]

You really should have been a doctor I think you're more "up" on this
stuff than most physicians.

Jill

But if he were a doctor, I doubt he'd have the time to post these interesting
tidbits on a cat-related newsgroup! For that matter, he might not even have
time enough for cats!

Old January 23rd 05, 04:48 PM
Brigitte

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "Monique Y.

On 2005-01-22, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?

Be more specific. Are we talking about diarrhoea? Or vomiting? Or
both? The euph.. upset stomach can cover both.

Oh. Um, I meant what I said. Purely that my stomach is upset and

doesn't
feel
well. No diarrhoea or vomiting. Just discomfort that sometimes peaks

pain.

Let me throw out several possible remedies, if you don't mind them
coming from a man. :-)

There are several fairly expensive anti-nausea syrups such as Emetrol.
They work, but I prefer to use a tablespoonful or so, every 15 minutes
or so until I feel better (or about 4-6 doses) of Coca-Cola concentrate.
Many pharmacies stock it behind the counter.

"Sports drinks" may help, in that they have sugar in them -- which halps
sodium and potassium get absorbed. A rehydration drink with a starch in
it works far better. There's a classic Chinese soup-like dish called,
depending on the dialect, jook or congee. Take a fairly small amount of
rice -- perhaps half a cup to a quart of water, or even more water, and
simmer until the rice grains start to break up. This can be flavored
with lots of things, ginger and soy being a start -- orange rind, in
moderation, gives a nice taste. Chicken simmered well in it gives you
the Chinese-Jewish approach.

Let me mention a couple of "upset stomach" drugs that work differently
than antacids, which I assume you've tried. Gaviscon, like prescription
Carafate, actually coats the stomach. Pepto-Bismol has turned out, in
recent years, to be much more medically respected -- the bismuth
salicylate it contains actually stabilizes quite a bit and also has real
effect against certain irritation and ulceration.

Yes, but can cause constipation.