OT - Don't tell this Granny to get her gun!

Old June 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Default OT - Don't tell this Granny to get her gun!

She'll Use it!
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4649603/detail.html

Police: Crime Of Passion Erupts In Senior Citizens' Home
POSTED: 3:26 pm EST June 24, 2005
UPDATED: 5:09 pm EST June 24, 2005

ATLANTA -- A passionate geriatric love triangle ends with a fatal shooting
in Atlanta, police said.

A great-grandmother allegedly gunned down her former boyfriend, then told
police officers, "I did it, and I'd do it again!"

The shooting happened at a senior citizens' home in Atlanta.

Lena Driskell, 78, is accused of plotting the shooting of her 85-year-old
ex-beau, Herman Winslow, because she was angry their yearlong romance was
ending and that he'd found another companion.

Authorities said after a nasty breakup with Winslow, Driskell kept showing
up uninvited at his apartment in the seniors' complex where they lived. They
said a security guard tried to calm Driskell down, but she drew out a gun,
pressed it to Winslow's head and fired up to four times.

Driskell is under house arrest.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)Š

Old June 26th 05, 04:08 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:17:32 GMT, "Magic Mood JeepŠ"
yodeled:

[...]

Yikes! Now I'm glad my dad is relatively safe in Florida. :P

Theresa
Old June 26th 05, 04:14 PM

Magic Mood Jeep=A9 wrote:
She'll Use it!
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4649603/detail.html

(snipped)

That's a horrible story!! Can you even imagine? I thought people were
supposed to mellow by the time they were senior citizens. A geriatric
love-triangle. Who'd a thunk.

Sherry

Old June 26th 05, 05:00 PM
Karen

in article ,
at wrote on 6/26/05 10:14AM:

Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
She'll Use it!
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4649603/detail.html

(snipped)

That's a horrible story!! Can you even imagine? I thought people were
supposed to mellow by the time they were senior citizens. A geriatric
love-triangle. Who'd a thunk.

Sherry

I think that only works for people who were wild when younger. People who
are milder seem to throw caution to the wind as they get older. IME only.

Old June 26th 05, 05:10 PM

That's a horrible story!! Can you even imagine? I thought people were
supposed to mellow by the time they were senior citizens. A geriatric
love-triangle. Who'd a thunk.

Sherry

I think that only works for people who were wild when younger. People who
are milder seem to throw caution to the wind as they get older. IME only.

Well, you know how they say women turn into their mothers. They can't
help it, it's genetic. Don't know if that's true, but I have turned
into my grandmother. I realized that looking into my closet and seeing
all the garish colors. She loved colors. She loved flowers and cats.
She also was also a little bossy. No comment. LOL.

Sherry

Old June 26th 05, 07:37 PM
jmcquown

wrote in message
ups.com...

Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
She'll Use it!
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4649603/detail.html

(snipped)

That's a horrible story!! Can you even imagine? I thought people were
supposed to mellow by the time they were senior citizens. A geriatric
love-triangle. Who'd a thunk.

Sherry

Oh heavens! Who told you that?! G Granted, the gun was extreme (at any
age). But where my parents live, even though it's not specifically a
"retirement community" mostly the people who can afford to live there happen
to be retirees. Mom is always telling me about so-and-so up the street got
caught by his wife en flagrante with the widow woman on the next block, or
couples who had been married for 50 years are suddenly splitting up and
moving in with others on the island, like a senior version of "trading
spouses".

Jill

Old June 26th 05, 08:39 PM
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:37:57 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
[...]

Also, if an elderly person is developing dementia, their impulse
control is likely to start slipping, leading them to act on impulses
that they might have had the self-control not to act on earlier.
During his last 5 months of life, my father had both a series of small
strokes and some form of progressive dementia that caused visual
hallucinations (Alzheimer's was ruled out, but what he _did_ have was
never officially diagnosed). I ended up having to place him in a
nursing home. He became rather crude in his language at times,
although I don't recall ever having heard him swear before, and kept
wandering into other people's rooms and rummaging through their
belongings.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old June 27th 05, 12:02 AM
jmcquown

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:37:57 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
[...]

That's very true, John and I'm sorry you had to deal with that with your
father. I knew a fairly young woman (I think she was 64) who had
altzheimers (I do believe they formally diagnosed it as such). When her
husband's son and wife moved back from California to help him take care of
her they lived in the finished "attic" of the house. They had their own
bathroom. Sometimes they would find their drawers had been searched. Who
knows what she was looking for. Sometimes (as with a cat) the toilet paper
in their bathroom was just unwound off the roll. There is no apparent
reason for such actions, but people suffering from Altz. and dementia
praecox exhibit a lot of the same symptoms.

The few times I met this lady, she was sweet as could be. But she also
insisted she had been "Elvis' girlfriend". Family members suggested I
humour her when she talked about Elvis. I don't know if that's a good or a
bad idea. But since I knew she was from Michigan and didn't move to Memphis
until long after Elvis died, I just nodded and smiled and offered her
refreshments

Jill

Old June 27th 05, 12:08 AM

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Oh dear. This a worrisome topic. My own father is getting very
"quirky". And a little paranoid over the dumbest things. Government
mind control tactics, government tracking devices, and the like. (he is
a retired rancher, never leaves a 5-mile radius of his house and
believe me, the government has much more interesting people to track) I
wonder if it's something medical.

Sherry

Old June 27th 05, 01:21 AM
jmcquown

wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

How old is your father? Mine will be 81 on August 3rd and he's getting
quirky, too. But he's also been through a lot of surgeries and he hates not
being able to get around like he used to. It upsets him. I upset him!
(LOL) I was supposed to be happily married and have produced grandchildren
by now. Lord knows why he'd want another grandchild. We aren't the sanest
bunch on the planet

Jill

Nursing duties attended to wafflycat Cat anecdotes 15 April 25th 05 01:25 PM
Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work? John Ross Mc Master Cat health & behaviour 198 February 4th 05 07:28 PM
Chicken Pox Granny Cats - misc 12 August 18th 04 05:32 PM
Chicken Pox Granny Cat health & behaviour 6 April 28th 04 05:09 PM