I got some bad news this morning about Rumble

Old June 22nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I got some bad news this morning about Rumble

"Matthew" wrote in message
. ..

"kilikini" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
news
I was woke up to some bad news about Rumble's Blood work. His Glucose

level
is 437 instead of a norm of 170. He is diabetic. I am going to have to

go
in next week and learn how to give him insulin 2 times a day. I am
going

definitely need some help from the group on how to deal with it. I have
never had a cat with diabetes before. I have no idea what to expect at

all

I don't know whether to break down and cry or be happy that I saw
something wrong with him and got him to the vet to nip it early. All I

can
do is ask why this? Hasn't he been put through enough in his life?

Sorry I am just really upset right now. We have a joyous occasion to
celebrate with the new kitten coming home and I receive this news. I am

so
happy and sad that I am crying for both

Matthew, I've never had a cat with diabetes before either. What were the
signs, may I ask? My Miss Pua drinks water up the Whazoo, and I'm
wondering
if I may be facing that in the future as well.

kili

I noticed that he was drinking a lot more. He turned down his favorite
treats. he was always hungry after eating a whole can himself than would
eat another can and want more. He started getting a fascination with
water more than usual. It also looked like he was getting thinner but he
actually weighed more. I was really worried that he was in liver or
kidney failure due to his epilepsy and also being on Diazepam. I was a
worried Daddy and I can see that I had reason for it.

I will give this warning to all cat owners CATS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR HIDING
PAIN YOU NEED TO WATCH THEM FOR ANY CHANGE

Matthew,

These are all good signs to look for. In addition, I would recommend that
everyone should be careful not to use food that is high in carbs. I realize
this isn't really a wet food vs. dry food thread, but this really is one of
the problems with dry food. I am certainly not going to claim that all cats
that have free access to dry food will develop diabetes, but the likelihood
that cats that *do* develop diabetes were fed on dry food is very high.

Incidentally, I have diabetes myself, and I found the same relationship in
my own diet. I was able to bring my BG into normal range by completely
changing my dietary habits. I have not had to take any medication for two
years.
This same pattern can be seen in many cats that have developed diabetes.

Will you please send private email to me and include your valid email addy?

MaryL

Old June 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
. ..

"Matthew" wrote in message
. ..

"kilikini" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
news
[...]

Miss Pua drinks a ton of water (to the point I gave her her own glass next
to her favorite chair - who's the slave here?) and pees a lot. If you
take
the cat to the vet, do they do a blood test for diabetes?

kili

Not necessarily. If it were me, I would take Miss Pua to the vet, describe
these symptoms, and specifically request a glucose test. It is much better
to catch this problem early rather than late. The cost for the test should
be minimal (but should be verified in advance).

MaryL

Old June 22nd 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
. ..

"Matthew" wrote in message
. ..

"kilikini" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks, Mary. She's about due for her annual anyway. I'll give it a shot
when I can.

kili

Old June 22nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

I realize this isn't really a wet food vs. dry food thread, but
this really is one of the problems with dry food. I am certainly
not going to claim that all cats that have free access to dry food
will develop diabetes, but the likelihood that cats that *do*
develop diabetes were fed on dry food is very high.

Are you saying that carbs *cause* diabetes? I thought only genes
could do that.

It's true that once you have it, cutting back on carbs is a good way,
among other things, to keep it under control. But it's my understanding
that if you're going to get it, you're going to get it. You don't
"cause" it with diet, but you can control it with diet.

Joyce
Old June 22nd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs and prayers for Rumble and you. Hope everything works out for the
best.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"Matthew" wrote in message
news
I was woke up to some bad news about Rumble's Blood work. His Glucose
level is 437 instead of a norm of 170. He is diabetic. I am going to have
to go in next week and learn how to give him insulin 2 times a day. I am
going to definitely need some help from the group on how to deal with it.

Old June 22nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
news .... He is diabetic. I am going to have to go
in next week and learn how to give him insulin 2 times a day. ...

Matthew,

A number of years ago our cat, Josh, was diagnosed as diabetic. I was sure
I would not be able to give him the injections, but I learned and was
surprised how easy it was (after the first time when I filled the needle,
inserted it, withdrew it, and then pushed the plunger.)
Annie

Old June 22nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
news
I was woke up to some bad news about Rumble's Blood work. His Glucose
level is 437 instead of a norm of 170. He is diabetic. I am going to have
to go in next week and learn how to give him insulin 2 times a day. I am
going to definitely need some help from the group on how to deal with it.
I have never had a cat with diabetes before. I have no idea what to expect
at all

Thank goodness that you noticed something wrong in time. ISTR there are
several people on the group who have diabetic cats who can advise you how to
manage Rumble's condition. At least it is something that can be controlled
with meds and he doesn't have something much worse.

Tweed

Old June 23rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Phil P has stated a number of times that by giving a diabetic cat a
canned diet he has been able to take it completely off of insulin. I
see that you pinged him on another newsgroup. Hopefully he will
respond.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 23rd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:
I was woke up to some bad news about Rumble's Blood work. His Glucose level
is 437 instead of a norm of 170. He is diabetic. I am going to have to go
in next week and learn how to give him insulin 2 times a day. I am going to
definitely need some help from the group on how to deal with it. I have
never had a cat with diabetes before. I have no idea what to expect at all

You and Rumble will be fine. You'll be suprised how much better he
will be with his blood sugar regulated properly and you'll be suprised
how little difference it makes to your and Rumble's life.

I bawled when Ted (RB) was diagnosed with diabetes; I thought it was a
death-sentence. I was - thankfully - wrong. Ted was diagnosed at
about 12 years old and she lived to be almost 19. In the end it was
mouth cancer that killed her rather than diabetes.

Ted very quickly learned to associate the injection with being fed and
she became a really strict task-mistress, reminding us about injecting
her (and *feeding* her) at 12-hourly intervals. She was very keen on
her food, was Mistress Ted.

The biggest problem for us was finding people we trusted to care for
her when we had to go away, but we managed and Ted took the opportunity
to positively influence a whole swag of people. One of the folks we
got to look after her was the vet nurse from our vet (who did
pet-sitting as a side job). Anne could NOT believe that the vicious,
foul-mouthed animal that she saw at the vet was the same as the purry,
friendly, cuddly creature she saw at our house. Ted was a bit schizo
that way (which is how she earned herself a "dangerous animal" tag at
the vet!) Ted also taught my somewhat needle-phobic MIL to be less
afraid of injections.

We had to watch her and occasionally adjust her dose, but we learned to
look out for key indicators. For Ted, stress was her enemy. Taking
her to the vet caused her enough stress that it took about a week for
her blood sugar levels to get back under control, which made veterinary
monitoring challenging. It is expensive - needles, syringes and
insulin, but I'm sure that you, like us, will not hesitate.

Tish

Old June 23rd 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:
Sorry I am just really upset right now. We have a joyous occasion to
celebrate with the new kitten coming home and I receive this news. I am so
happy and sad that I am crying for both

I hope that the diabetes is very manageable and that Rumble is able to
have many happy years with you.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he