Major Milestone

Old July 13th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Major Milestone

The kittens learned to use the poopy-box today! We have also put away
our bottles for good. Meowmie is
so proud :-)

They will be 5 weeks old on Sunday.

I've made a list of things I'm gonna invent and market someday. I'm
just so surprised at the lack of products available to help raise
orphan kittens. Nothing out there except KMR & bottles.

1. A surrogate mother that has a heartbeat, heats up, and has nipples.
2. Some kind of kittypants so they can't suck on each other's
genitals.
3. A training dish for kittens. Something they can get their heads in,
but not their entire
bodies. Kind of like a baby chick feeder, but lower to the ground.
4. Tiny, disposable cardboard litterboxes with edible litter.
5. Remedies for diarrhea and constipation. There is nothing available.
Vets say, "Oh, give them Karo
syrup. Give them mineral oil. Give them Kaopectate. How much? Oh, just
a little bit. I want to see
something formulated especially for infant animals, with a proper
dosage on the label.

Their separate personalities are becoming more distinct. The girl
kitten is more independent, braver, and
learns more quickly. The boy-kitten is still just a mama's baby. They
play with toys now. They're really
getting to be fun now, and not require so much worry and care.

Sherry

Old July 13th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jul 13, 1:48 am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Meowmy you've done a wonderful job! Can't wait to see
new pics (hinthint)
Julie

Old July 13th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Jul 13, 12:48?am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Yayyyyyy! Major victory! More pics please.

Suz&Spicey

Old July 13th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

YAY! God bless your patience, Sherry. Are you keeping them?
I know they KNOW you are their mama. So sweet.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

oups.com...

Old July 13th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
The kittens learned to use the poopy-box today! We have also put away
our bottles for good. Meowmie is so proud :-)

Yay!!! I remember that milestone from Weeble's days!

They will be 5 weeks old on Sunday.

Happy 5-week-purrday!

But.....
Be afraid - be very afraid! They are about to become MAJOR hoolikittens!

I've made a list of things I'm gonna invent and market someday. I'm
just so surprised at the lack of products available to help raise
orphan kittens. Nothing out there except KMR & bottles.

Our vet carried a version of kitten milk (also had some for puppies) that
was NOT KMR - came in a small carton/box, like some of the kid's juice
drinks do. And Weeble would NOT tgake a bottle when I first got him. I had
to use a sirynge and somehow he latched onto that plastic good enough to
make the plunger go down without any help from me! When he wore out that
sirynge (the pluynger wouldn't move any more) I tried him on a bottle - he
rufused it at first, until I gave it a squirt and he realized that there was
good stuff in there! Then he was all appetite!

1. A surrogate mother that has a heartbeat, heats up, and has nipples.

There's one on the market that has a hearbeat, but probably not nipples.

2. Some kind of kittypants so they can't suck on each other's
genitals.

A sock - with holes for the legs & tail?

3. A training dish for kittens. Something they can get their heads in,
but not their entire bodies. Kind of like a baby chick feeder, but lower
to the ground.

I saw a teeeny dish the other day - loked like a rock - was made that way &
sold as a reptile water dish - would probably do for (messy) kittens.

4. Tiny, disposable cardboard litterboxes with edible litter.

That would sell among the rescuers! I remember fashioning Weeble's first
litterbox - he was only *3* weeks old! I went to change the towels in his
box, and they were sopping wet! And he hadn't pee'd much at his last
feeding, so I figured that he was ready to 'go' on his own. I used a
cardboard tray that cans of pet food are shipped in, lined it with the
plastic that had been the shrink warp that held the cans in the tray, filled
it with clay litter, placed it in his nest-box, and plopped him down in it.
He looked puzzled for a second, then proceeded to dig and throw half the
litter out. Later he pee'd in it. Next morning, there was a tiny
Weeble-turd in it as well.

5. Remedies for diarrhea and constipation. There is nothing available.
Vets say, "Oh, give them Karo syrup. Give them mineral oil. Give them
Kaopectate. How much? Oh, just
a little bit. I want to see something formulated especially for infant
animals, with a proper
dosage on the label.

When I had a kitten that had the runs, I gave them un-flavored pedialyte to
help with the dehydratiuon bit - maybe a kitty version - felialyte????

Their separate personalities are becoming more distinct. The girl
kitten is more independent, braver, and
learns more quickly. The boy-kitten is still just a mama's baby. They
play with toys now. They're really
getting to be fun now, and not require so much worry and care.

Sherry

You will worry - whenever you leave the house you will worry about what they
will be getting into, and destroying, and you will tear the house apart if
one (or both) of them decides to play hide-from-mommy (Weebs did that, and I
finally found him - on the bed burrowed into a pile of pillows, snoozing on
the softest one! Li'l stinker!).

Old July 13th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Now you can sit back and enjoy them for at least the next five weeks. I do
believe there is nothing more fun or entertaining than baby animals. At
least not that is legal.

When we raised pups I could spend hours just sitting and watching them.

Of course now I spend hours out back watching Camille (the Chihuahua) play
but that is just to make sure she doesn't sneek through the fence.

She is very well named. She had a shot and her nails clipped yesterday.
Only one shot because she is still under 2 pounds. She is absolutely
miserable. But has decided we might be allowed to hold her while she takes
her dying breath.

Jo

Old July 14th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 13, 11:22 am, "Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Why didn't I think of the sock-thing??? That's so obvious. I think,
for the time being though, that
they have lost interest in each other's butts. One can hope.
Good Lord. You would not *believe* the mess these two 1-pound kittens
can make out of a bathroom.
Litter everywhere! Food everywhere. Toiled paper rolled out. (yes,
stupid me forgot to remove the tp)

I went to Petsmart today and begged all their available fancy feast
boxes. They're perfect for litterboxes for them.

Pedialyte is good. When they had diarrhea, I used unflavored Pedialyte
as the liquid instead of water to mix up their
formula.

Sherry

Old July 14th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Jul 12, 10:48 pm, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Great! Glad to know they're doing so well. You've done a great job,
Meowmie! Those poor sweeties would have had a bleak outlook without
you.

Melissa

Old July 14th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 13, 10:15 am, "Irulan" wrote:
YAY! God bless your patience, Sherry. Are you keeping them?
I know they KNOW you are their mama. So sweet.

Lily & her mama

Ack. I can't keep them. I just can't. I already have five cats. Seven
cats is too many
for me to give the right kind of care. I've already neglected the
resident cats terribly lately.
I wish I could. I am really stressing about this. I mean, face it.
They are tabby cats. I love
tabbies, but they are a dime-a-dozen, every shelter is smack full of
them, and so are ads
hanging in the post office and in the newspaper. Free kittens,
everywhere.
I had one lady at church who wanted them. But she wants them for barn
cats. That's out
of the question for handraised kittens.
My daughter is going to try to help find them homes at the hospital
where she works. She's
found some very good slaves in the past. Nurses are usually really
good pet owners.
Sherry

New Kitten Milestone Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 September 19th 05 04:28 AM
Major purrs please! (Not for me) Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 19 June 17th 05 10:57 PM
Major BW!! Lisa ^..^ Cat anecdotes 4 January 15th 04 03:35 AM
Rocky's new milestone Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 4 November 16th 03 07:54 PM
Major Purrs to all Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 1 August 21st 03 06:02 AM