IAMS cat foods

Old December 4th 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default IAMS cat foods

I picked up a small bag this afternoon of the new IAMS Multi-cat
formula. The ads I've seen say it's going to do the same things my
current combination of weight-control and hairball formula foods do.
Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS. The cats seem to really enjoy the sample, and are trying
to get into the bag as I'm typing. I have a 9 year old spayed female
who weights a bit more than she should and a lean, mean 4 year old
neutered male. We currently feed Nutro, but there are always a lot of
food nerds left after the kids crunch their way through the flattened
out triangular pieces of food. New food comes in smaller pieces.
Thanks for any input/ comments.

Cindy
(Mom to Roxy, the Wonder Cat and The Amazing Thunder)

Old December 4th 05, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
I picked up a small bag this afternoon of the new IAMS Multi-cat
formula. The ads I've seen say it's going to do the same things my
current combination of weight-control and hairball formula foods do.
Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS. The cats seem to really enjoy the sample, and are trying
to get into the bag as I'm typing. I have a 9 year old spayed female
who weights a bit more than she should and a lean, mean 4 year old
neutered male. We currently feed Nutro, but there are always a lot of
food nerds left after the kids crunch their way through the flattened
out triangular pieces of food. New food comes in smaller pieces.
Thanks for any input/ comments.

My cat loved Iams weight control/hairball food so much she got
fatter on it. You are probably way ahead of me and plan to
give her controlled portions 12 hours apart and not free feed.

In case you are not--my advice is not to free feed.

My successful method at getting her to lose weight (she came
to us obese from her previous owner) was to feed her premium
canned food (meat, not byproducts, as a first or second ingredient)
every 12 hours. I began with a bit more than she needed and reduced
that by 1/4 until she began losing. She began at 18 lbs and now weighs
10. I also noticed that her fur became shinier and silkier and she seems
happier and friskier on the canned food. But she certainl did LOVE
the Iams.

Old December 4th 05, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

stonej wrote:
I picked up a small bag this afternoon of the new IAMS Multi-cat
formula. The ads I've seen say it's going to do the same things my
current combination of weight-control and hairball formula foods do.
Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS. The cats seem to really enjoy the sample, and are trying
to get into the bag as I'm typing. I have a 9 year old spayed female
who weights a bit more than she should and a lean, mean 4 year old
neutered male. We currently feed Nutro, but there are always a lot of
food nerds left after the kids crunch their way through the flattened
out triangular pieces of food. New food comes in smaller pieces.
Thanks for any input/ comments.

This is an example of ads that claim benefits that are "too good to be
true". This particular product claims that overweight cats and ideal
weight cats can eat the same food. However, how can this be? Unless
you are going to restrict the feeding of the overweight cat, then that
cat's caloric intake will not change and therefore there will not be
any weight loss. This claim by IAMS flies in the face of common sense.

Furthermore, the 9 year old cat should be on an appropriate senior diet
if at all possible.

Old December 5th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

depends if you can stand the guilt?

http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/iams.html

Old December 5th 05, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

stonej wrote:
I picked up a small bag this afternoon of the new IAMS Multi-cat
formula. The ads I've seen say it's going to do the same things my
current combination of weight-control and hairball formula foods do.
Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS. The cats seem to really enjoy the sample, and are trying
to get into the bag as I'm typing. I have a 9 year old spayed female
who weights a bit more than she should and a lean, mean 4 year old
neutered male. We currently feed Nutro, but there are always a lot of
food nerds left after the kids crunch their way through the flattened
out triangular pieces of food. New food comes in smaller pieces.
Thanks for any input/ comments.

Cindy
(Mom to Roxy, the Wonder Cat and The Amazing Thunder)

Iams is making the claim based on vitamin a levels and carnitine
levels, neither one of which are high enough to accomplish either goal.
The product does not work as claimed but will add weight to cats that
need to lose it and accomplish next to nothing on cats that are indeed
too skinny. The claim as purported in simply BS marketing gone awry.

Old December 6th 05, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS.

Heroin for cats. The Fabulous Furballs love them and they seem to have
much shinier healthier coats since they started on them. Sarrasine in
particular used to have some quite thin patches on her back legs but
now has a magnificent coat. Then again I don't recommend them all the
time. I feed wet two meals a day and IAMS in the middle and they did
take some getting used to as you don't need to put anything like as
much down as you do with some other dry foods (I split a very small
handful between them)

The only problem is they will kill for IAMS!!!!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous IAM addicted Furballs

Old December 19th 05, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I've heard a lot about Iams and their animal tests.

What other dog/cat food companies do this? I would imagine most of them.

Would love to find a healthy alternative to Iams.

A good site about Iams animal testing is www.IamsCruelty.com

Old December 19th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Katzowtadbag wrote:
I've heard a lot about Iams and their animal tests.

What other dog/cat food companies do this? I would imagine most of them.

Would love to find a healthy alternative to Iams.

A good site about Iams animal testing is www.IamsCruelty.com

And another good site to see

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/